• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Suspension- Need help getting a softer ride

82SRX500 said:
Question here.... what will be the effect if I pull the rear limiter strap one or two holes? I have only pulled the front limiter strap 2 holes.
I pulled both of mine in two holes and sled works great, effectively I think it lowers the whole sled, meaning lower center of gravity and better Handling

I'm 205 lbs plus gear and I find the RTX too soft, totally the opposite ! I'm now thinking I might move the rear springs to the Hard position, bottomed the rear out 3 times yesterday in stand-up over some so so bumps. Anyway, I'd say you should soften the two rear shocks compression and soften the rebound a bit as well, might be what you're looking for. I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he's around 170 lbs plus gear, and he's bottomed his out a few times too, so perhaps your agressive riding description is not what we call agressive riding here. If you were to ride at 100 km/hr in our conditions all day, your day would consist of about 15 minutes riding time and a free helicopter ride out. Stiff shocks, I wish I had your problem.....

Unluckydiablo said:
I for one hate the fox floats. i've set them to 55 psi 3 seperate times, and each time I recheck them, they are at 85 psi. Its been driving me nuts, but at least the right one is finally staying within 10 psi of what I set it to... The other one? Not a chance, 85 or 75 each time.

You have to set them unloaded and check them unloaded. If you set unloaded than check while the sled is on the ground your psi will be much higher.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
I'm 205 lbs plus gear and I find the RTX too soft, totally the opposite ! I'm now thinking I might move the rear springs to the Hard position, bottomed the rear out 3 times yesterday in stand-up over some so so bumps. Anyway, I'd say you should soften the two rear shocks compression and soften the rebound a bit as well, might be what you're looking for. I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he's around 170 lbs plus gear, and he's bottomed his out a few times too, so perhaps your agressive riding description is not what we call agressive riding here. If you were to ride at 100 km/hr in our conditions all day, your day would consist of about 15 minutes riding time and a free helicopter ride out. Stiff shocks, I wish I had your problem.....

I would probably have to agree. Aggressive hard riding is relative to the type of trails you ride or lack there of. Our type of aggressive riding is fast twisty woods trails that get all chopped up but the chop is 12-18 inch chop through out the trail. At a moderate speed of 35-55 the sled with my weight is bouncing all over the trail. At slower speeds of 15-30 standing up over the chop the sled is excellent. I guess I am trying to tune the sled down for washboard chop at a moderate to higher speed hence my need for a more forgiving compression at this midrange.

82SRX500,

For your type of riding the base Nytro would have been the answer. I go about 260 geared up and I have the standard Nytro. With the springs on stiff I can still bottom the sled, but it handles the whooped out trails really well. With the springs on medium, its an absolute joy on the choppy trails.

The RTX sleds were made for people who enjoy pounding large moguls and jumping 20 feet +.

The shock valving is definitely too stiff in the rear for what you want. Your floats should be no problem to fix just run them at 50psi. In the rear if you'll either have to set the compression and rebound way down or have your shocks re-valved.

In all honesty I don't think you'd have any problem finding someone to swap standard Nytro shocks for RTX shocks.

I weigh 155-160 before gearing up and ride both ditches and groomed trails. My previous 4 sleds have been Doo race chassis so I am accustomed to a pretty harsh ride-

My floats are set at 70 psi unloaded.

Center shock spring is almost as loose as it can go (maybe 2 threads left), compression at 4 clicks ccw, rebound at 5 clicks ccw. Front limiter pulled up 1 hole. I usually try to keep the center spring as loose as I can stand it without too much bottoming, seems to track better thru the whoops with very little death wobble...

Rear shock spring set at medium, compression at 7 clicks ccw, rebound at 8 clicks ccw. Rear limiter stock.

When the sled was set at the factory settings the sled pushed like a dumptruck thru basically any corner, now it turn pretty good and the steering is still fairly light (w/C&A Razors). I might try going 2 holes down on the front limiter.

Overall these settings work pretty good for me in the ditches and are a bit stiff on groomed trails, but that I can deal with to have a fun set-up for the big bumps and that is what the RTX was advertised as...

82SRX500 said:
NyTrOMaNIaC said:

I would probably have to agree. Aggressive hard riding is relative to the type of trails you ride or lack there of. Our type of aggressive riding is fast twisty woods trails that get all chopped up but the chop is 12-18 inch chop through out the trail. At a moderate speed of 35-55 the sled with my weight is bouncing all over the trail. At slower speeds of 15-30 standing up over the chop the sled is excellent. I guess I am trying to tune the sled down for washboard chop at a moderate to higher speed hence my need for a more forgiving compression at this midrange.

You should maybe call Hygear...some of my friends have gotten set-up by him with two springs on the center shock. I don't recall the exact terminalogy of it, but it is supposed to be a softer spring for slower speeds.

This is just an FYI but some of the Nytro have been coming set either way on the hard side or like mine way on the bottom end of the soft side. I would suggest pulling your manual out and set everything in the standard settings and ride it. Then fine tune from there. It made a world of difference for me. I hated the sled when 1 st started riding it and now its awesome.... Floats are set at 50lbs.

Also when setting you floats the sled front has to be hanging to set and check pressure.

82SRX500- I have been trying to contact Pioneer since November with no success. I have called the main tel #, sent emails, and have gotten nothing in response. If you get in touch with somebody overthere please give me your secret.

Lucky 7- The springs you are referring to are called "Dual Rate"

BTW, I think this is the best stock skid I have ever ridden. Harsh in the tight chop but great in the bigger stuff. I think it's hard to have the best of all worlds on a stock sled. :flag:

I can agree with morrisond a bit, but can also agree with the others in that "out of the box" the FX probably would have been a better choice. It's just a matter of getting it set right for you. And yes that may include some work on the shocks.

You are fairly light, and many of us are fairly heavy. How many years have we been complaining that Yamaha has had their suspensions far too soft. Now we have people complaining that they're too hard! Ahh well can't please everyone. Personally I love it. My RTX really was handling Tug Hill well yesterday. Theres still plenty of adjustments that I want to play with. I jumped on my wife's FX though and it was really mushy, great for chop but in that mess I was bottoming it. She however loves it because she weighs less than you.

I'm still on the fence about the Fox floats. One minute they're the best thing I've had the other I just am not sure off. I started out with them set at 50 but that was way too soft. Cranked them up to 75 and it was much better but on the stutters I got forearm pump. Seems like they start out real well then get hard. Difficult to explain.

Forearm pump means you're using muscles more than usual, which in turn means you're riding hard, so that's good ! I recommend you start going to the gym... :tg: JK Yamahnator....
No seriously, I've been training since 93, competed in bodybuilding 3 times, MuscleMag International Bio in 01, and I still get arm pump like a SOB. It sucks, the more muscle you have, the more sore you get, the more calories you burn, and the more food you require/eat, which all adds up to $$$$. I should have been a runner... :o| :exc:

I way 190lb no gear and my FX is stiff ! can't imagine what an RTX is like and glad they were sold out or I would have got an RTX.

Mine in stock calibration will only bottom on the really big ones, I have no complaints in the big rough it is the endless miles of stutters we have here that really jiggle the stuffing out of you (must be getting old I guess, time for a two upper). The Ski-Doo boys have some magic were they can get the REV to suck up the big stuff yet be compliant on the stutters.

Unluckydiablo said:
I for one hate the fox floats. i've set them to 55 psi 3 seperate times, and each time I recheck them, they are at 85 psi. Its been driving me nuts, but at least the right one is finally staying within 10 psi of what I set it to... The other one? Not a chance, 85 or 75 each time.
are you hanging the front end when you check the pressure? mine wont hold the pressure i set them at also.

It's just too bad we can't test ride our sleds before we buy them very easilly. Summer purchases of a winter toy is always bound to make some customers have regrets. I have the RTX, and coming from an Apex GT, I think it rides very stiff. I'll wait to pass total judgement until I have more miles on it, because I haven't made any adjustments yet. I let some air out of the shocks, but the sled wasn't hanging. It read 75 while sitting, and I let it out to 60. I would think that if you check them in a consistant manner, the just making a change will yield a difference, and keeping them even is more important?

Back