• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NYTRO

MOUNTY

Expert
I took a break from the site for a while. Seems to be the same old thing\\. What clutch kit? what this? what that?. I am going to lay it in simple terms to the newbies and those who have alot of Q's and A's. I have over 20 + years riding, working on, making a living on snowmobiles, before changing carriers.

THE GOOD

engine makes great power even at stock(130-138 out of the box) within spec of 600cc-700cc 2 smokes
TORQUE THAT WONT STOP
beat it up and it asks for more
great on gas
no injection oil
depending on model, great ride, rough or smooth terrain
great riding position
electric start (when it works, has not happen to mine)
never left me stranded
stock track is good if you are a trail rider, limited off trail
stand up, sit down transition is awesome
quiet motor/exhaust
fill up and go
more than enough room for two riders
clear/visible display
center of gravity
belt and clutch life
Sure im missing a few but from a stand still there it is.

THE BAD

ski's suck
wind protection sucks
heavy
expensive parts
slider wear sucks
relays get wet and dont work( not on mine)
ICE BUILD UP IN THE TUNNEL( remove tunnel protector and minimal)
heat grips suck
mounts/hand guards, suck, too brittle
spindles are very weak
sub frame is weak
limiter straps are terrible,(wear through prematurely)
exhaust donuts wear prematurely
running boards need better support, additional snow removal
left foot gets wet if you dont have waterproof boots

These are good\issues that i have coming from the top of my head. If and when you buy a Nytro this is what you will need to purchase before having satisfaction in my opinion:

Track
skis
exhaust/intake/fuel programmer
clutch kit
suspension adjust/replace
BOOST\(if your day to day is not good enough)
Idler wheel kit
tunnel protector/remove guards
snow boards
windshield with deflectors
sub frame
battery
relocating rear light
steering re locator
hand guard/mounts

The list of good and bad could go on and on! The fact of the matter/rant is. My Nytro (even when boosted has gotten me fro point A-B every dtime! sure some minor fixes have needed to be made, but not due to the sled itself (operator error/too aggressive). Would I get rid of my Nytro because it is a piece?( or needs some reasonable upgrades)

NO! This is the best sled i have ever owned/worked on and you would need to take it from my dead clammy hands to take it from me.

:die

Lots of new guys this year on TY and it's good for them as some of us have been through so much. Nice summery mounty.

MOUNTY said:
I took a break from the site for a while. Seems to be the same old thing\\. What clutch kit? what this? what that?. I am going to lay it in simple terms to the newbies and those who have alot of Q's and A's. I have over 20 + years riding, working on, making a living on snowmobiles, before changing carriers.

THE GOOD

engine makes great power even at stock(130-138 out of the box) within spec of 600cc-700cc 2 smokes
TORQUE THAT WONT STOP
beat it up and it asks for more
great on gas
no injection oil
depending on model, great ride, rough or smooth terrain
great riding position
never left me stranded
stock track is good if you are a trail rider, limited off trail
stand up, sit down transition is awesome
quiet motor/exhaust
fill up and go
more than enough room for two riders
clear/visible display
center of gravity
belt and clutch life

THE BAD

ski's suck
wind protection sucks
heavy
expensive parts
slider wear sucks
ICE BUILD UP IN THE TUNNEL( remove tunnel protector and minimal)
heat grips suck
spindles are very weak
sub frame is weak
limiter straps are terrible,(wear through prematurely)
exhaust donuts wear prematurely
running boards need better support, additional snow removal

These are good\issues that i have coming from the top of my head. If and when you buy a Nytro this is what you will need to purchase before having satisfaction in my opinion:

Track
skis
clutch kit
Idler wheel kit
snow boards
sub frame
battery
relocating rear light
steering re locator
hand guard/mounts

The list of good and bad could go on and on! The fact of the matter/rant is. My Nytro (even when boosted has gotten me fro point A-B every dtime! sure some minor fixes have needed to be made, but not due to the sled itself (operator error/too aggressive). Would I get rid of my Nytro because it is a piece?( or needs some reasonable upgrades)

NO! This is the best sled i have ever owned/worked on and you would need to take it from my dead clammy hands to take it from me.

Love it!!!! Hit it right on the head, once you get them dialed in, big smile!!!! ;)!

Bought mine, read lots...bought some of the things mentioned above...hope I made the right choices!

No matter what you have purchased, sled, car, or boat, there is no perfect toy out of the box! If there was, we'd all own it.

Big thanks to everyone on the board for contributing.

Dave

MOUNTY said:
Would I get rid of my Nytro because it is a piece?( or needs some reasonable upgrades)

Amen ;)!

well done.....wish this had been on here when i first got mine would have saved me some time, but have learned alot from reading posts anyways.

thanks to everyone

Here's my take

MOUNTY said:

THE GOOD

engine makes great power even at stock(130-138 out of the box) within spec of 600cc-700cc 2 smokes YEP AND EASILY UPGRADED TO BE COMPETITIVE WITH 800s
TORQUE THAT WONT STOP - HELLS YEAH
beat it up and it asks for more YUP
great on gas NOT FROM MY EXPERIENCE. 80 MILES ON A TANK WHILE HARD ON GAS - REQUIRES TRAIL TANK OR FUEL CADDY FOR PEACE OF MIND
no injection oil GREAT
depending on model, great ride, rough or smooth terrain YUP
great riding position NOT IF YOU'RE OVER 6' TALL. MY XP WAS BETTER BUT A TALLER SEAT SHOULD FIX IT
never left me stranded YUP
stock track is good if you are a trail rider, limited off trail MEH, RIPSAWS ARE OVER-RATED
stand up, sit down transition is awesome AGAIN, OVER 6' TALL RIDERS DON'T EXPERIENCE THIS
quiet motor/exhaust WHO WANTS A QUIET SLED??!
fill up and go AWESOME
more than enough room for two riders AGAIN, NOT IF YOURE 6' TALL +
clear/visible display ...LOOKS LIKE A FISH FINDER
center of gravity VERY SURPRISING GIVEN ITS WEIGHT
belt and clutch life AWESOME

THE BAD

ski's suck YUP
wind protection sucks WHO CARES?
heavy YES BUT WORTH HAVING PEACE OF MIND OF NOT BLOWING UP YOUR 2-STROKE
expensive parts DON'T EVEN GET MY STARTED...
slider wear sucks FIXED WITH DUPONT. I THINK THE STOCK ONES WERE MADE OF WAX
ICE BUILD UP IN THE TUNNEL( remove tunnel protector and minimal) PITA TO GET OFF
heat grips suck FIXABLE
spindles are very weak
sub frame is weak FIXABLE
limiter straps are terrible,(wear through prematurely) NEED TO REPLACE MINE AT 2400 MILES
exhaust donuts wear prematurely COPPER ONES FIX THAT
running boards need better support, additional snow removal NOT BAD BUT I WOULD LIKE SOME WRP OR BETTER BOARDS

Track
skis
clutch kit
Idler wheel kit
snow boards
sub frame
battery
relocating rear light
steering re locator
hand guard/mounts

Overall the Nytro is a great sled. Falls short in some categories but makes it up with others. Probably the ultimate 4-stroke for ditch bangers. Procross 1100T s/p would be the only sled I'd take over mine, but only for the higher HP capabilities.

Wish I had this for when i joined! would have saved me countless hours researching wtf everyone is talking about. :o| . Well put though. Very good review. :rocks:

I just bought an 08 nytro (standard model) i'm coming off an 01 sxr 700. So far it has full hauck exhaust, C&A's, yamaheater, schmitt bros clutch kit, schmitt bros extra idler wheels, 1.5 camoplast track, shocks were supposedly revalved about 1500 miles ago. What should I expect coming off my sxr as far as ride and power? My sxr was totally stock.

The Nytro is eleventybillion times better than your sxr. More power and lots more torque. It will seem a little tippy at first but you'll get used to it. Also you won't smell like 2 stroke exhaust anymore...

I'm probably much less demanding then a lot of people, but after buying a new sled there is no way I can spend the thousands and thousands of dollars some have on their Nytros. I put the new Tuner skis on my new 2012 XTX and will do some suspension adjustment after I get a chance to ride it and I hope I will be happy.

I admit to being a bit scared because after reading things on here it seems that the Nytro is a terrible sled and can only be fixed by putting thousands upon thousands into it.

I always liked my Rage and didn't mind the weight, but it didn't do well on rough trails and you could not stand on it. I was hoping that the XTX would be better in the rough stuff and allow me to move around easily on it compared to the old sit down Rage which was impossible to stand on. I can still hear the "clunk clunk" of the old Pro Action skid in the rough stuff.

Anyhow I have read and heard that the Tuner skis really improve the handling of these sleds and get rid of the Nytro's nosyness. I hope that along with the proper ski alignment and suspension adjustment will provide me with a nice riding sled because I don't really have thousands and thousands to throw into re-doing the entire sled.

Anyhow I am excited to get out and ride my new XTX.

yamajammer76 said:
I'm probably much less demanding then a lot of people, but after buying a new sled there is no way I can spend the thousands and thousands of dollars some have on their Nytros. I put the new Tuner skis on my new 2012 XTX and will do some suspension adjustment after I get a chance to ride it and I hope I will be happy.

I admit to being a bit scared because after reading things on here it seems that the Nytro is a terrible sled and can only be fixed by putting thousands upon thousands into it.

I always liked my Rage and didn't mind the weight, but it didn't do well on rough trails and you could not stand on it. I was hoping that the XTX would be better in the rough stuff and allow me to move around easily on it compared to the old sit down Rage which was impossible to stand on. I can still hear the "clunk clunk" of the old Pro Action skid in the rough stuff.

Anyhow I have read and heard that the Tuner skis really improve the handling of these sleds and get rid of the Nytro's nosyness. I hope that along with the proper ski alignment and suspension adjustment will provide me with a nice riding sled because I don't really have thousands and thousands to throw into re-doing the entire sled.

Anyhow I am excited to get out and ride my new XTX.

Dont read into all the hype of sinking all the money into the sled just to get it rideable! If you adjust the suspension, toe it out and put the tuners on, youll have a blast riding it without any problems. There are solutions to things guys dont like about the sled which does improve it greatly but dont really need them. This sled will be a night and day difference compared to the rage, sit to stand transition is awesome and very comfortable!

Back