• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

o2 sensor location

FLYBYU

VIP Member
So i'm putting on a mcxpress bent shorty muffler on my mid mount impulse apex setup. My question is can I mount the o2 sensor in the muffler? The only other place is before the turbo.

I assume that showed up?? I think you should have room to weld a bung in after the muffler part. You might get some false lean readings at idle but once you start flowing exhaust I would think it should work fine.

Rx1M5

I would think you want the O2 Sensor as close to the engine as possible... the exhausted gasses before it hits the turbo I would tihnk would be what you want to read... am I missing something??

I've always had it after the turbo but with this new muffler I won't have any room for it after the turbo.

This is what it looks like. Not much room

Attachments

• imagejpeg_4_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_4_2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 63
A friend of mine had issues with his sensor cutting out on his MCX Apex when it was mounted before the turbo, I think what happens is the pressure in the tube before the turbo overpowers the sensor. MCX used to supply their kits with the bung before the turbo now they only have a bung after the turbo.

Rx1M5

I have to figure out where I'm going to put it because I need it for the auto tune. It's a flow through muffler. I would think if I get down far enough it would be fine. Opions?

I always weld them in after the turbo on the tunnel dump or down pipe. Impulse, MCX, Powderlites, Alpine probably others all after the turbo. The pressure and heat before the turbo causes the sensor to loose its mind at full throttle. Weld it in as high up on the tubing sticking out the bottom of the muffler as you can get it and it'll be fine, like I said before it may read a false lean at idle but honestly who cares what it says at idle thats not where you will hurt you motor.

Rx1M5

FLYBYU said:
I have to figure out where I'm going to put it because I need it for the auto tune. It's a flow through muffler. I would think if I get down far enough it would be fine. Opions?

I have mounted o2 sensors in the muffler before. At lower rpm you might get some fresh air pulsing back to the sensor. Most of the widebands do not recomend mounting before the tubo because of the extra heat.

If you are not going nuts with the boost I would give it a try before the turbo heat should not be that bad because it is a rear mount.

Everything I have read, when used in a turbo application, it you will get the best readings on boost if it is after the turbo and before the muffler. Seeing how your muffler is built into the down pipe you might jsut have to weld the bung into the muffler. Like has been said before, I think you'll see goofy readings at idle but when you're pushing exhaust out it should read just fine.
My $.02

Back