• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Odometer rolled back?

Sled looks like sled was stored outdoors and/or open trailered due to the amount of corrosion on metallic and aluminum, not typical imo. Cosmetic of course, but could lead one to think there is more miles on the sled than reported.
Looks like the track has scrubbed the rear heat exchanger or something went through the tunnel to cause that damage, as well as the broken rear aluminum pan. Not typical for sure, could have been jumped and landed real hard at some point.
Hyfax was added to tunnel protectors below the exchanger, so some preventative measure was taken after the fact.
Track shows significant wear on the tips, and that could account for the rash on the rear exchanger. Other than that, spare belts get removed when traded, not unusual.
I would say your friend is right, there are more miles on this sled than showing, but generally it appears to be in good shape otherwise. Would have a Yam dealer run the VIN and see what if any warranty claims occurred and at what mileage.

That is basically how mine looked;the same condition. Mine was also very corroded and the rear exchanger looked exactly the same. I figured (rationalized) the guy had an open trailer and the salt kicked the heck out of it. He had a brand new viper and it already looked punched. Perhaps he just never took car of things. Again with rationalization. With such low km's I would not expect that much dirt and wear and corrosion under the hood; Mine was the same. That is why I knew it was BS after I got it home and tore into it. My wife rides a MXZ with 12,000 km and it looks like new under the hood. That is what I was comparing to to.

I replaced everything, bushings, rails, slides, powder coated and the list goes on. I also cleaned it to perfection. Tore it completely apart and checked everything. Much of the cost I planned to do anyway; bushings, powdercoat slides, bearings and such. I chalked my acquisition up to a lesson learned. I will never buy a sled from that area again as obviously there are unscrupulous people that hop the boarder and flip the sleds with new odometers. A low km sled might well have corrosion but the belt dust and debris would be almost non existent in such a short distance.

I really like the idea of getting the Yamaha dealer to run the VIN.

I will definitely run the VIN at my local dealer

Now if a new speedo assembly would have been purchased, it would have cost him 700$US... he would have had to make that up in the price... and I didn't pay the low-mileage premium for it (there's another guy with claimed similar mileage asking 7500$ for his on kijiji)... I paid way way less... I would say I paid what a typical 13,000kms sled would cost...

Other than slides, a battery and a shock rebuild (less than 500$), what else does this sled need? I guess I'll discover once the snow falls and can try it out

DF

Speedo assemblies can be had from sled salvage guys, lots of yards and online re-sellers around and you see them from time to time on Kijjiji and ebay.
It was likely from a wrecked sled, and they go for about half price of new. My dealer says the actual mileage can be found on the ECU, not sure if this is factual, but fwiw.
I don't think your shock assembly is the cause of the damage and shouldn't need to be rebuilt, something else caused the skid to collapse to create that damage such as a broken front Swing arm.
Would check your suspension for proper "sit-in" or sag as some call it. Lots of posts on here about how to do that, but it will get you close for ride comfort. You basically find out the measurement of the spring unloaded with sled back end jacked up in the air, compared to compressed measurement with you on the sled preferably with gear, you are looking for 40-45mm movement. At some point you should get the shock refreshed and valved for your weight and riding style, big difference. Would set your transfer to the middle to start with, limiter strap one hole set up from full length (looks like it's there from your pic), and front GYTR clicker shocks to 10 clicks out from max on top adjustment wheel (compression), and 6 clicks out on the bottom (rebound). Your Ohlins compression setting should be controlled remotely on the dash pod if the connector is still functioning.
Good luck and hang on tight!
Cheers.

I believe that the millage information is collected and stored in the speedometer head and not in the ECU. I had a short in my tail light pigtail and the tail lights went out along with the dash pod. I repaired the pig tail and noticed that after a 150 mile trip the mileage didnt change while the dash pod and the tail lights were out. This gives credence to what Hibshman 25 is trying to say.

I will definitely run the VIN at my local dealer

Now if a new speedo assembly would have been purchased, it would have cost him 700$US... he would have had to make that up in the price... and I didn't pay the low-mileage premium for it (there's another guy with claimed similar mileage asking 7500$ for his on kijiji)... I paid way way less... I would say I paid what a typical 13,000kms sled would cost...

Other than slides, a battery and a shock rebuild (less than 500$), what else does this sled need? I guess I'll discover once the snow falls and can try it out

DF

I would replace the starter relay as it is on the front of the sled and they apparently fail due to corrosion. Mine was bad and very corroded. they are only about 70 buck s and as these sleds have no pull option it is probably a value added expense.

I am a bit over the top with OCD, I also hate the thoughts of breaking down 50km away from home. This is what I did after I bought my sled. Much of It I would had done regardless of the km's. I keep notes on all the sleds. This is just a copy paste from my notebook

vector 2017 april (5200km) LOL

Installed scratchers

replaced jack shaft bearing

Greased upper jack bearings

Dielectric Greased all connections

Changed oil

Pulled apart Inspected chaincase and adjusted tension

Changed chaincase oil

Changed spark plugs iridium

Replaced Starter relay 70

Installed bushing kit front

Powder coated front a arms

Installed grease fittings on spindles

Cleaned air filter

Replaced all bearings in skid

Replaced all rear skid bushings

New sliders

installed GPS mount

Installed fueling lights

Installed LED underglow

Powder coated skid

Rebuilt rear shock

Rebuilt front shocks

Aligned skis

Installed temp gauge

Blead cooling system

Replaced both skid rails (Bent)

Replaced LH upper and lower A arms (Bent)

Attachments

• Inked2017-04-09 14.26.06_LI.jpg
    Inked2017-04-09 14.26.06_LI.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 121
Thanks for the info... I will go to the local dealer this afternoon and run the VIN... see what they come up with...

DF

That gives Ottawa a bad name, sorry to hear.

4-5 years ago when I got the Vector for my wife in the US I noticed when back home the hood was cracked and fixed underneath. Thinking back its explains why the seller wanted to removed the panels himself... Later I noticed I couldn't remove the bolts in the front suspension since they were slightly bent. Obviously the guy crashed it. Oh well. Being a Yamaha the engine has been bullet proof.

If you bought that sled in Gatineau. 1000000000% its rolled back. It probably has like 30000 kms on it or so.

That being said, if you got a good deal, I wouldn't stress that much about it. You're better off with a higher km sled that rode on pristine Quebec trails than a POS with less kms that a needs a track and every wear item replaced.

Also, in Ontario, the kms arent tracked by the MTO for powersports. So kind of SOL there.

Ya I went back and looked at the pics, definitely rolled back. But just check things over and you will be fine. These sleds run forever pretty much.

A few years ago my brother bought an Apex with 40000 kms on it. Thing had some clutch work, and a ram air lid on it. That thing used to stomp my bolt on nytro, stomp etec 800s, polaris 800s. He put like 4000kms on that apex without touching a thing on it that winter. We ended up parting it out because it was worthless with so many kms.

Last edited:

Back