• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ohlin front shocks

RX1Jim

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Is anybody running Ohlin shocks/springs on the front of their RX-1's? I have the front end upgrades: Pioneer straight rate sprigs, 75 mm sway bar links and the 12 mm dia. sway bar and bushings. Would there be a significant improvement using the Ohlin front shocks/springs while using the 12 mm sway bar and 75 mm long sway bar links? The Ohlin shocks do look sweet up front on the RX-1. thanks!!!

I run them on both of my RX's and cannot tell you the difference they make. I am running 13 mm pioneer bars and simmons skis. They handle like a porsche and on 500 mile days are easily adjusted to changing trail conditions. 4 to 5 clicks on the rebound adjustment allow this sled to deal with the worst trail conditions and there is no one that can stay with these sleds on the tight twisties.

I used to think 200 miles a day was all I could take and last season did over 6000 miles with several 500 mile days. I have no arm pump and no fatigue. A lot of what people blamed on the rear suspension on these sleds is a result of the front end not the rear.

I've been running the ohlins since'04 on my '03.They are worth every penny and they aren't cheap.3000 miles on them never had them rebuilt and they still work like new.You can pound them all day without any fade.Night and day over stock.

a set is going on mine this season. i could not belive the difference just the rear made.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Where is a good source to buy them from? What did the pair cost you?

I would recommend doing all 4 ohlins then go from there.Maybe look into reinforcing your W arm since alot of guys seem to be breaking them.Adding pad to the seat or upgrading the seat seems to be popular and effective also.

Here is a dealer that sells Ohlins cheap

Rocky Erickson
REC-LIFT 763-389-2686

He makes alot of the Yamaha products like the dollies and Rec Lift sled lift.

I would only install the front shocks. For the money go to a salvage yard or swap meet and buy a Mono-shock skid out of an 05 RX or newer Apex. Install takes about 3 to 4 hours and you can get skids for under $300.00 and you only need the front mounting plates about $125.

I have converted more than 10 03 & 04's and the ride is uncomparable with the pro-action even with $1000 worth of Ohlins in the rear. You lose about 20 pounds and the tunability is awesome.

i cannot chime in as to price as i am canadian and we get screwed up here on that stuff. it cost me $958.00 for the fronts and yamaha canada had none in stock so we got them out of pioneer when the dollar was better.

i beat on guks sled and it felt nice and comfy, and ya got to love the power that thing puts out , the sound is awesome alone. the fabrication hes done is awesome imo,he did a nice job with what it started as imo.
hes always had the biggest baddest lol. he'll be the first one to tell ya its not always the sled lol

I called Bruce at Pioneer today and got some sticker shock.....$860 for a pair of the front Ohlins. I want the shocks but his price is a lot of hard earned cash. I'll try the Rec-Lift guy mention in a post above. I've looked around at the sled salvage yards, TY classifieds, ebay.....found no used Ohlins available. Thanks guys, keep the info. coming!!!

I paid $535 for mine from Rec Lift Last year. There are 2 types the single clickers are just fine you only can adjust the bound there is no rebound clicker on teh bottom of the shock.

Rec-Lift has one set of Ohlins front shocks for the RX-1! I think he wants around $600 for them thats a deal.

Back