• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ohlins Rear Shock

07 GT

Extreme
I have a 07 Apex GT. I noticed the other day when you try to adjust the rear shock with the handlebar switch it doesn't seem to do anything from soft to full hard?

The display is working and the bars move up and down but doesn't seem to do anything. I have 5000 miles on it and have never had a problem yet until now.

The wires don't appear to be broke coming from the shock.

Im stumped! Is the shock junk? I hope not. They look real expensive.

Yup!
Time to re-build, I did mine at 3500 miles. Same thing hapened, it was really noticible in the whoops....you can remove the shock with the suspension installed if required.

Be careful to ensure the wire is installed as it was removed, so you dont break it....happened to my friend.

I had mine valved a little harder to utilize all of the range.

Cheers

Are you bottoming or getting kicked? Maybe you have spring too stiff. I would adjust before pulling shock out. Try clicking front shocks harder on compression. Brought my EC Ohlin to life....may work for you. Could be simple.

I rode my sled for the first time yesterday since I had the rear shock rebuilt and revalved at Carver Performance for about $100. Wow, what a difference! It works better in all conditions and I hardly ever bottom out anymore.

The EC even seems to make more of a noticeable difference now when I change the setting. I used to have to leave it on full stiffness and now I can leave it on full soft most of the time and only turn it up if the trail gets really nasty.

Blue Dave said:
I have mine out right now getting re-valved at Carver Performance. Mike at Carver knows how to make this shock work much better than stock.

http://www.carverperformance.com
OH you guys are lucky,carver is right in your back yard,i talked to mike the other day,as i have the 07 gt same sled as yours,and i just picked it up last monday,i now have 179 miles on it,and though i liked it when i was up north on wide trails,now i am home and stranded in to small little tight trails with huge square edged holes that when dropping into them the rear skid just bottoms so hard even if you stand up it may still kidney kick you,i still have the stock 4.9 spring on,even though it is adjusted up for my weight on the ride height,mike said dont change it just yet,let him do one of his multi valve stacks than decide if i need another spring,even though i weigh 250# he said to be careful w/springs because they have the effect of keeping it fom bottoming,but the ride feels like you now have a dump truck,and this was just what i got on my 06 apex after i have bruce shrader revalve and respring my rear shock on my 06,it was way worse than stock,i took the so called big boy spring off and it was better,but not good,so i am excited to see great things with mike carver,but next day air to ship from maine is 108 bucks,yikes thats steep.

I put 300 miles this weekend on my Carver re-valve with many of those miles over some really rutted out trails at high speed. My sled now takes the bumps like a $10K sled should. Shame on Yamaha for not getting this right and making us spend more money. However IMO it was the best $100 I ever spent!

Back