• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change - Better in spring or Fall

I know this subject has come up before, but I am getting ready to put away my 07 Apex for the season and I rode it 2800 miles. Is it better to change the oil now when i put it away or in the fall before I use it. seems like there are pro'c and cons either way. What is the concensus?

Change it now. Used oil builds up acids and will pit the bearing is left in for storage.

If your oil needs changing, I have always been worried that it should be done before any sediments get a chance to settle over the summer, and then will not readily drain from the pan in the fall.

I believe the best is to change at the end of the season to get rid of the acid build up. Down side unless sled is in a constant heated area, condensation is going to build up in the new oil as ambient temps cycle cold to warm and back again. The condensation will burn out though once you get the engine up to temperature on your first ride of the season. Many synthetic oils do not provide condensation protection and allow water to directly adhere on metal surfaces. Storage protection such as Sea Foam can be a big plus for added protection.

best to do it in the spring, i just got done changing oil & filter, change gear oil, plugs, re-grease drive & jack shaft bearing's, greased everything, took the belt off cleaned the clutch's, washed & waxed the sled, stabil the fuel, put new hyfax on, new carbides, put the charger on the battery, gave her a hug and put her to sleep until fall, now's it motorcycle & atv season

That's it!! I knew I forgot something. Thanks for reminding me. I'm giving mine a hug right now.

I am in the process of the above, got it all apart and drained then realized I forgot to get the oil filter :o| so she sits on the stand empty.

Boy I sure like the Ulmer remote oil filter kit worked slick

I will give mine a hug and a 'atta boy' slap on the seat for a season well done.

Yamadoo

SharkAttak said:
best to do it in the spring, i just got done changing oil & filter, change gear oil, plugs, re-grease drive & jack shaft bearing's, greased everything, took the belt off cleaned the clutch's, washed & waxed the sled, stabil the fuel, put new hyfax on, new carbides, put the charger on the battery, gave her a hug and put her to sleep until fall, now's it motorcycle & atv season

Why da quit so soon? I just got back from riding up to Errol and Lake Embagog and it was the best I've seen all winter. :)

Tell me if this is stupid. I was going to change my oil with something cheap. Regular 5w 30 (name brand). And then change it in the fall along with the filter back to yamalube. Oil has a shelf life thats why they say 3 MONTHS or 3000 miles on a car.

CaptCaper said:
SharkAttak said:

Why da quit so soon? I just got back from riding up to Errol and Lake Embagog and it was the best I've seen all winter. :)

got to get back to work and make some money, got to get the atv and bike ready :Rockon:

ApexerER said:
Tell me if this is stupid. I was going to change my oil with something cheap. Regular 5w 30 (name brand). And then change it in the fall along with the filter back to yamalube. Oil has a shelf life thats why they say 3 MONTHS or 3000 miles on a car.

i wouldn't advise mixing 2 different oil

If properly tagged out would it be OK to drain the oil and store it empty for the summer then start with new oil 8 months from now?

SharkAttak said:
ApexerER said:

i wouldn't advise mixing 2 different oil

I wouldn't be mixing them, I would be draining one out and putting the other in. Would the little bit left in the filter matter that much. I wouldn't even be riding it. It would be in storage.

Back