• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change F-Up

yamadoo said:
Where is this screen and how do you access it.

Yamadoo

The actual screen is number 4 in the pic. Remove the hose and take the 2 allen head screws (If I remember correctly)(Number 6 in the pic) and the whole part come out of the tank (Number 4).

Attachments

• APEX oil tank.jpg
    APEX oil tank.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 101

thanks that was fast
Yamadoo

yup I do the same and even forgot to make note of it.

Subaru2006

yamahas said:
ecopter said:
By the way, most of you probably forget to remove the oil tank screen. It usually has a lot of foreign material in it, plus if you pull that oil line down towards the ground, it allows a lot more old oil to escape.

jf

X2 I do this every time and forgot to mention it.
:o|

I had my two sleds put down at the dealer and gave them seven quarts of oil. They gave me back 2. I checked the oil on both and they are about a 1/4 inch below full. The engines were fogged so can't start to get a true level. Since the manual says to put two quarts in and run and then adjust I know the level is safe even though they are not full. Dealers are frustrating.

yamahas said:
yamadoo said:
Where is this screen and how do you access it.

Yamadoo

The actual screen is number 4 in the pic. Remove the hose and take the 2 allen head screws (If I remember correctly)(Number 6 in the pic) and the whole part come out of the tank (Number 4).

I wasn't aware of this either, curious what you guys are finding when you remove them, are they dirty and in need of cleaning/replacing?

Yes mine was dirty when I pulled it out the first time. Was actually surprised how much the screen caught.

I clean it up by using a paper towel. The crud usually sticks to the paper towel. If it looks like it needs more of a cleaning I would blow compressed air through the inside so it pushes stuff in the screen out.

yamahas said:
Yes mine was dirty when I pulled it out the first time. Was actually surprised how much the screen caught.

I clean it up by using a paper towel. The crud usually sticks to the paper towel. If it looks like it needs more of a cleaning I would blow compressed air through the inside so it pushes stuff in the screen out.

Thanks Yamahas, good to know ;)!

After reading lots of posts regarding oil changes, I noticed it is pretty much a 50/50 split between adding oil directly to the crank as well as to the reservoir or adding oil to the reservoir only.
I am about to change the oil before storing the sled for the summer & would like to know if it is necessary to add the oil to the crank or if it is ok just to add to the tank then run it & check the level?

Add oil in the tank. Been doing this for 5 yrs.

I just replaced my oil tank because of a leak. My sled had nearly 10 grand on it, and there was only a couple specks of crap. When checking the used oil tank I saw a huge amount of crap. Wonder if the sled had blown up. Lotsa metel shavings and other pieces of junk. I sure would NOT want all that stuff in my engine, glad I checked! Thanks for the reminder !

Teamblue4 said:
Add oil in the tank. Been doing this for 5 yrs.
I guess it shouldn't hurt the motor because if you warm it up first before draining the oil, the motor should be lubricated enough to enable the motor to run long enough after oil change to get the sump to pump the oil to the motor. Unless anyone has a good reason not to do it this way I think I will opt for this method as adding oil to the motor is a pain in the butt, lol!
Did you drain the oil from the crank as well?
Thanks!

Yes, drain oil from 3 spots, tank, pan and screen hose.

I didn't think the oiling system took oil from the bottom of the crank anyways. My impression was that the pressurized side of the system pulled from the tank. The oil in the crank may be helpful if running at RPM, this may sling oil at bearings and under pistons. I doubt it's needed at idle, and I only did it once, after dropping the o-ring in to the abyss, I decided it wasn't worth it anymore. Also, better to be an 1/8" low on oil than right at or above the line. That extra three tablespoons is just going to end up in the air box anyway.

Its a dry sump system. The sump does not pump oil to the motor. The sump oil pump is for pumping the oil to the tank only. The oil is pumped from the tank to the motor. Adding oil to the motor does nothing to pressurize the bearings or anything else in the motor. The only time you need to add oil to the motor is after a rebuild.

Now if you want to add oil to the motor go ahead but its pointless! Its the tank that feeds the high pressure oil pump that feeds the motor. Its the sump pump which is a low pressure evacuation pump that feeds the tank. So the oil you add to the motor is just pumped to the tank where you could have added it to begin with.

Back