• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change on 04 RX1

Executive1

I am changing the oil on my o4 RX1. The instructions in the service manual says add 2 liters to the oil tank. But the capacity of the engine in the manual is 3.8 liters. Where do the other 1.8 litrers go? I don't want to start it with just 2 liters of oil. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

after you have drained the tank and the engine, pour aprx. half a liter into the engine through the cap in the valve cover, and aprx. 3 liters into the tank. this amount is assuming that you also changed the oil filter. if not, only add 2.5 liters to the tank. start engine, let it idle for about 20 seconds, and check level.DO NOT thread dipstick in to check level.

Why not follow what the manual says? Doesn't it say to pour 2 liters into the oil tank and then start it up. After that pour more oil into the tank which will take the other 1.8 liters.

I don't know a whole lot about dry sump oil pumps, but what are you gaining by pouring some into the engine? Is it just the worry of running the motor without any oil in it. Are we better engineering than Yamaha to suggest changes to the oil change routine?

of course we know better than the yamaha engineers. thats why we change air intakes, seats, handlebars, skis, suspensions, windsheilds, etc. etc. etc. i just figured since you drain about half a liter out of an engine during an oil change, it cant hurt to replace it before start up.

Follow the manual. Don't put any into the engine. 2 in the oil tank. Start it for a few minutes. (With 2 in the tank) the low oil light will not come on. Add another quart then let the engine get up to running temp. Top it off as required.

I personally don't think 1/2 Quart in the case will hurt. However, once you recommend varying from the Operating Manual, someone will come along and pour it all in the case. Believe me, It happened a couple weeks ago and was resolved on this site. It is better to follow the Manual and ask on the site, if there is an apparent variance from the Manual.

So, I believe when making a recommendation, sticking to the book seems to work better. Besides, with the complexity of these things, everyone should be familiar with their Operating Manual and follow its instructions. A good indicator of a person who takes care of equipment is a well used, dog-eared and oil smudged Owners Manual.

BTW: Here is a link to Owners Manuals if you need one for an 06 or older model.
Click Here for Owners Manuals. Apparently they have not yet posted the 07 Manuals??

I've heard this pour oil in the motor more than once. What good would it do? The oil pump gets its oil from the tank, not the sump. Adding oil to a dry sump can do some serious damage.

QUESTION!

when you pull out the engine oil drain bolt, why do you get about a quart of oil out of it??
is that oil comming from the filter? not shure cause when you remove the filter it's full of oil too.
rfc

Sasquatch said:
I've heard this pour oil in the motor more than once. What good would it do? The oil pump gets its oil from the tank, not the sump. Adding oil to a dry sump can do some serious damage.

Then how does the tank get its oil when your engine is running? The sump must drain to the tank to get complete circ. Which is why I personally dont think adding oil to the case will hurt anything as long as you give time for the oil to drain to the tank. That said though it is best to follow the manual it is written that way for a reason.

I've done a little investigating to provide some information. I have not found a schematic on the RX's motor yet to be completely specific. When I asked my question about why people were adding oil to the engine, I guess I was looking for knowledge of dry sumps and specific reasons for deviating from the manual and adding oil to the engine.

To quote How Stuff Works "There are at least two oil pumps in a dry sump -- one pulls oil from the sump and sends it to the tank, and the other takes oil from the tank and sends it to lubricate the engine. A minimum amount of oil possible remains in the engine."

(my own logic, correct me if I'm wrong) When your engine is running, it has an amount of oil in it and running through it. When you shut off the motor some oil is going to drain to the bottom of the engine and to the sump. This is the oil that is being drained out during an oil change. Adding oil to the motor during an oil change is only going to put oil back into the sump, which upon startup will be pumped to the tank. Also, from the schematics I've seen, the oil filter is in the circuit after the tank and would not drain into the engine.

I was very excited when I found out the 4-stroke Yamaha's had a dry sump system. For years I've been running a Mustang on road courses for fun. I watched other guys put dry sumps on their cars and knew of some of the advantages. For our application, I believe the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages. From my investigation I have a follow up question. It appears that a dry sump system lends itself very easily to oil coolers. Has anybody looked into this. I would think that an oil cooler may be more beneficial than any water cooling that could be done. Just food for thought

Ive been told you are supposed to thread the dipstick in to check the oil and I have been told your not supposed to. I know if you thread the dipstick in it will show the oil level being higher. Which is correct. thread or not thread. I changed mine for the first time and threaded it to check it but I haven't ridden it yet so I might need to make an adjustment.

flyin-lowe you DO NOT screw the dipstick in to get the correct reading. You are going to have to add a bit the correct reading would be too low.

Sked Dog, Thanks Ill check it and add a little. I wouldn't think that it makes that much of a difference but I dont know Im sure someone on here has done the math on that. I had 4 quarts of oil and had a very little amount left so that will probably even it out.

You should check it when it is hot. If you check it when it is cold, you may very easily overfill it. Also, Sled Dog is right. You do NOT thread it in to take a reading.

Back