• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil change

RX_rider

Veteran
when you guys change your oil do you ever poor oil in the head. like in the oil tank and the head to? or should you poor it in the head. i do but i was just wondering if anyone else do.

Nope, just in the tank, I usually crank it for a little while though before I let it start just to fill the filter and get everything primed.

I misread the manual when changing mine, I repalced the filter added two quarts to the tank and one quart into the head ( after I have now re-read it and it says nothing about adding any through the head). I should have put in two quarts ran it and then topped it off to the corrct level.

I still ended up adding an additonal 1/2 a quart to get in the middle of the dip stick.

Did I damage anything by doing it incorrectly??

snowsdog said:
I misread the manual when changing mine, I repalced the filter added two quarts to the tank and one quart into the head ( after I have now re-read it and it says nothing about adding any through the head). I should have put in two quarts ran it and then topped it off to the corrct level.

I still ended up adding an additonal 1/2 a quart to get in the middle of the dip stick.

Did I damage anything by doing it incorrectly??

No the oil you added to the head would have just drained to the tank anyhow! Make sure to read the dipstick correctly though. Unscrew wipe and place back in without any threading, pull it out again and read the oil level. ;)!

Changing oil

Whenever I change oil, I always put .5 qts in head, then rest in tank. I figure those first few second that you start it you want to have some oil up there. Why else would Yamaha put an access hole there. I've done 7-8 oil changes this way never any problem.

Back