• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil puddle

FAMILYMAN

Lifetime Member
Well, I tighten everything when I got the sled. Installed the mpi myself using many precautions. Took my son out for a couple hours and found oil all over the belly pan, clutch side and puddled on the floor. Time to do a search.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Did it again. Where is everyone's vent hose running? Mine is in the belly pan. So it doesn't take much to leak oil.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Run the vent to the air intake, that's what MPI is recommending so in the event it wants to spit some oil it wont be on your clutch. If the vent is in the air intake it just burns the oil, no big deal, let it smoke for a minute and keep riding.

Last edited:
They are re-routing the air/oil drain back to the right side of the motor rather then to the bottom of the oil tank, its a great idea

Last edited:
I would say its not really a MPI recall its more a tailored kit for the boondocking guys to help keep the oil in the tank. Its just better way to route that air/oil drain for the guys riding off trail where the sled is going to be tipped over a lot , like side hilling. If your a trail rider there is not really a benefit for you to have this kit that I can think of. If your riding off trail there is a big benefit. Remember MPI is just working with whats under the vipers hood, I think its great they have looked into this and came up with a better solution for the boondocking guys. Our sleds have the dipstick oil tank and the oil level is higher in those making them more likely to pushing out oil when tipped over and this helps address that.

No your right it should be Yamaha fixing the poor design. I lost all my engine oil once from the return line blowing off the bottom of the tank, then after that mess cleaned up and back together it started dumping out the vent line. Ended up being the oil separator box ( confused on how something so simple could fail ) but had it been routed back to the motor i would have not lost all my oil and the potential for motor loss. This had nothing to do with being on its side. Also when the tank drained it did not shut down on its own I had to turn it off.

Last edited:
If it was pumping it out the vent and into your air box that means the ball check in the Air/Oil separated was stuck shut for some reason? If the tank can't vent its going to push the oil out in trying to vent. Your suppose to take them off and clean them regularly because enough water collecting in there could freeze the ball check , I was planning on doing it once a year when i did the oil change but maybe it needs more? I'm not sure on that one.

Back