• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil replacement question

I guess all service manuals tells to do that. I never do that on my car, and did not do it on my sled.

Just let it run for some minutes before you assemble the sled again to make sure there are no leaks, and you should be fine.

No need to add oil directly into a dry sump engine. Even after you drain the oil there is plenty off oil laying in the journals and bearings that will prevent any damage when restarting the engine. When replacing the oil filter I like to add oil directly into the filter before installing it. You'll spill a little when screwing it on but at least the filter is not dry when starting the engine. This procedure is used by most all diesel and automotive mechanics.

Dimebag said:
I guess all service manuals tells to do that. I never do that on my car, and did not do it on my sled.

Just let it run for some minutes before you assemble the sled again to make sure there are no leaks, and you should be fine.

As long as there is no oil leaks you are fine. If you are using yamaha's oil change kit you may as well change the washers since they come in the kit.

I put some oil in the top of the motor when i changed oil, and spilled some lol and where did it go??.... On the headers now if i start it and let it get warm it stinkys up the garage and smokes like a banshee lol itll be a smelly first ride, prob should take a fire extinguisher with me lol!!

What I don't understand is when it says 3.9 litres total amount when it is 3.0 litres for a periodic change (which I assume means no new filter) or 3.2 litres with oil filter cartridge replacement.
When I change my oil with a filter change I add 3.2 litres and it is on the full mark on the dipstick.

And I do add all of the oil to the tank. I think that is what is says to do in the manual.

Attachments

• oil fill.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 162
its pretty simple

add 2.2 quarts (2 liters) run the sled, check the oil, add another quart check again, add till at the full line with the dipstick NOT screwed in... all in the oil tank

snowriderjoe said:
What I don't understand is when it says 3.9 litres total amount when it is 3.0 litres for a periodic change (which I assume means no new filter) or 3.2 litres with oil filter cartridge replacement.
When I change my oil with a filter change I add 3.2 litres and it is on the full mark on the dipstick.

And I do add all of the oil to the tank. I think that is what is says to do in the manual.

There is probably 0.7 litres that never come out once the engine has been run. Maybe 3.9 litres only applies to the factory or a rebuild (first start)?

I posted this before but thought I would bring it up again.
When I changed my oil a month ago, I drained the tank and the crankcase for 5 minutes. With the distick and cylinder head plug removed.
For some reason I tilted the sled on the side ( don't remember why) at a 45 degree. And at least an extra cup of dirty oil came out the engine drain plug.
I will do this again next oil change as it drained more oil than if I didn't tilt it on its side.

Back