• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil replacement question

I assume that when you turn the key on to cycle fuel pump before starting, that the oil pump fills the engine. That would be why you dont have to fill the engine and only the tank maybe I am wrong but it makes since. So basically when you start sled and circulate what is not needed in engine is stored in tank. I know this is the benefit of having a dry sump because you are constantly pulling oil thru the system. Think of it this way average cars are wet pumps and they take 6 quarts and look at the size of the motors. The yamaha fourstrokes take about 4 quarts total when they are completely dry which is in impossible to achieve. The tank acts as extra storage so the oil is always cooler and being filtered. This is what I understand from reading and the only negatives if you call it one is the amount of oil they use and the cost of a dry sump system. This is the kind of system that luxury sport cars and high performance race cars use.

The major benefit of a dry sump lubricating system is economy and performance! So as to not waste energy (HP) having the crank splash and plough through the oil pooled in oil pan on every rotation. So you get better fuel economy and wasted HP is now usable HP so performance is also better.

Sled Dog said:
The major benefit of a dry sump lubricating system is economy and performance! So as to not waste energy (HP) having the crank splash and plough through the oil pooled in oil pan on every rotation. So you get better fuel economy and wasted HP is now usable HP so performance is also better.
Yeah what he said.

Old Thumper said:
Seriously.....
It's not that hard to figure out. You drained oil out of the the reservoir AND the engine, right?

Get a plastic funnel with flexible extension for adding oil to the engine valve cover.

Seriously.. If it is as obvious as you want it to seem, Why does not the manual tell us to do it that way?

Anyways, i filled 2 litres in the oil reservior and fired her up.
Let her idle some minutes, and then topped her up with the additional 1.2 litres.

Dimebag said:
Anyways, i filled 2 litres in the oil reservior and fired her up.
Let her idle some minutes, and then topped her up with the additional 1.2 litres.

That't the way I do it. If there is not enough oil the sled will shut off.

Dimebag said:
Seriously.. If it is as obvious as you want it to seem, Why does not the manual tell us to do it that way?

It does.
Service manual says: Fill with the specified quantity of oil. Put 2 liters in the tank. Then replace the dipstick cap on the tank, and the CYLINDER HEAD OIL FILLER CAP.

So if you are to fill with the specified amount of oil, but only 2 liters go in the tank, then the rest goes in the engine. Hence the name Cylinder head oil FILLER cap. The other models likely do not do this because you can't get to the valve cover on them (just a guess)

The manual does not say to put oil in the cylinder head. I think the reason why they say to close the cylinder head cap is because they told to to remove it when draining the system.

The way I read/understand the instructions in the manual is:

1. Unplug and remove the dip stick
2. Open the cylinder head cap
3. Drain the oil tank
4. Drain the oil from the engine
5. Remove oil filter

6. Replace new oil filter
7. Install the drain plugs along with new gaskets
8. Add 2L of oil to the tank
9. Replace the dip stick and cylinder head cap
10. Inspect for oil leaks
11. Loosen the oil check bolt
12. Start the sled
13. If oil comes out the oil check bolt tighten it.
- If no oil comes out the oil check bolt shut off engine, go though all the oil passages
14. Check oil level and add the remainder as required.

That is the way I interpret the instructions anyway.

I think it should be more clear if we are meant to add oil to the cylinder head and or to the tank. This question pops up often. Since it does not say to add into the engine I just add it to the tank.

Even my dealer says he only adds it to the tank. I think its due to the dry sump system.

vector06 said:
Wheres the oil check bolt? Never heard of it??

Looks like a oil system air bleed bolt. I don't think anyone uses it unless they have an air pocket or something.

Attachments

• Oil check bolt.jpg
    Oil check bolt.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 98
Change both of mine every year always replacing the filter. Add oil through the cannister, start it and recheck and add if necessary. Never a problem.... :Rockon:

yamahas said:
The manual does not say to put oil in the cylinder head. I think the reason why they say to close the cylinder head cap is because they told to to remove it when draining the system.

The way I read/understand the instructions in the manual is:

1. Unplug and remove the dip stick
2. Open the cylinder head cap
3. Drain the oil tank
4. Drain the oil from the engine
5. Remove oil filter

6. Replace new oil filter
7. Install the drain plugs along with new gaskets
8. Add 2L of oil to the tank
9. Replace the dip stick and cylinder head cap
10. Inspect for oil leaks
11. Loosen the oil check bolt
12. Start the sled
13. If oil comes out the oil check bolt tighten it.
- If no oil comes out the oil check bolt shut off engine, go though all the oil passages
14. Check oil level and add the remainder as required.

That is the way I interpret the instructions anyway.

I think it should be more clear if we are meant to add oil to the cylinder head and or to the tank. This question pops up often. Since it does not say to add into the engine I just add it to the tank.

Even my dealer says he only adds it to the tank. I think its due to the dry sump system.
This is the way I change mine, I have went as far as asking the service dept at my local dealer and they told me this is the correct way.

They should do something with the service manual.
Cause it does not speak clearly regarding the oil change.

Its ok for now. Its done and i know that it works. But in a couple days/weeks someone else will scratch their heads in the garage wondering about the exact same question.

Thanks anyways guys. The sled is serviced and ready for winter ;)!

It is a dry sump system, When you understand how one works, youll understand that adding oil to the top of the engine doesnt do anything.
The oil pump directly pumps the oil from the canister into the oil passages in the engine. Adding 1.5 or 2 quarts to the canister ensures the pump wont starve for oil or air bubbles on start up, and who knows if the canister could hold the full 3.5 quarts the system takes. Remove the engine valve cover plug to help drain the system when changing oil, thats all.

Dry sump is also used to mount the engine lower, scince the oil is not stored under the motor. Same reason the z06 zr1 corvettes have dry sump oiling, engine can be mounted lower therefore lowering CG. and i just dump it in the tank. 3 quarts in start let it run and check it.

Back