• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ok im doing the gaskets, what else at same time?

granto211

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
i think mine r shot, im wondering if its a good time to do anything else at the same time while i have it opend up like oil, plugs a certin header or somthing? i keep trying to search things but the search always sux for me and i get all random #*$&@, am i doing somthing wrong?

Look at tie rod end under tank + look at steering bushings for slop. You have to have tank off for 2 of the str bushings. As far as Y pipes, the new ones are S.S., and I would change over to that anyway, unless you are not keeping sled real long.

granto211 said:
i think mine r shot, im wondering if its a good time to do anything else at the same time while i have it opend up like oil, plugs a certin header or somthing? i keep trying to search things but the search always sux for me and i get all random poop, am i doing somthing wrong?
2 hp on a header... Not worth it...

If you ever want to change your exhaust, now is the time to start doing it, when your in there anyways. Many guys switch to stainless steel y-pipes/ headers from stock titanium when changing the donuts. The Yamaha ones are $350 or so. The same thing from Excell are $500, but give 2-3 hp midrange, and 5 hp on top. If you ever want to make the switch, now is the time.

I'd also recommend new steering blocks (something like OFT's aluminum ones) to replace the crappy stock steeering blocks. Then your sled won't have all of that "slop" in the steering anymore. Also the time to do this since your gas tank will be off the sled, which is required for installing steering blocks also.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing your gaskets? Problems we should know about?

Tycho998 said:
Out of curiosity, why are you doing your gaskets? Problems we should know about?

Exhaust gaskets (more commonly called "donuts" here on TY) on many 4 stroke Yammis (esp the Apex models) tend to wear out. They then need to be replaced. Folks commonly upgrade their y pipes/ headers when they are in there anyways to stainless steel ones, which hold up better. When you have exhaust exiting up your handlebars or start hearing your sled back fire, then you know it's time to replace your donuts....

I put a handle bar riser on and started it to check mobility, well it started with yellow light and a ruff idle. Well the throttle cable was the reason i think but as i was adjusting with it running in the garage i noticed smoke coming from in front of the headlight? ( ive read that this is not wear gasket leak is noticed?) the past week ive heard it backfire a fewtimes but not often also noticed my headlights ocasinaly fogging up while stopped. what do u think? Gaskets? I started today and didnt notice the smoke. Ive been riding it hard the past week and also tipped it over in my drive while trying to spin around, i thought this maybe jared the gaskets cause after i noticed the backfire. Any extra money i got im trying to use for rail extensions so exuast tho i want probly wont happn. Was thinking possibly i could do the cut out of stock so at that time i could bring it somwhere to have it welded back shut.

Super Sled said:
Tycho998 said:

Exhaust gaskets (more commonly called "donuts" here on TY) on many 4 stroke Yammis (esp the Apex models) tend to wear out. They then need to be replaced. Folks commonly upgrade their y pipes/ headers when they are in there anyways to stainless steel ones, which hold up better. When you have exhaust exiting up your handlebars or start hearing your sled back fire, then you know it's time to replace your donuts....

LOL Ok, for some reason I thought he meant head gaskets. I have replaced the donuts several times.

Tycho998 said:
Super Sled said:
Tycho998 said:

LOL Ok, for some reason I thought he meant head gaskets. I have replaced the donuts several times.

Sorry Tycho, I was just trying to explain it.

Back