• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

? on belt sitting in seconary

STORM-CHASER

TY 4 Stroke Guru
how low does you belt sit in the secondary , Mine is sitting like 1/2 inch all my other yamaha sit just below. Is this normal for the phazer?

soory for the ?'s but just got the new baby home

If it has the right belt (check your part number)installed it should be flush to about 1/16" above the sheaves. To adjust the deflection you have to remove the secondary remove the snap ring and split the clutch. It comes with two shims on the shaft from the factory and you generally can not remove more than one or the belt will be too tight. Too tight of a belt on this will also cause more problems with it going into reverse, it needs some play to operate correctly. also make sure that you pay attention to the spring settings when dissasembling the secondary.

I checked the belt and shimming and its all ok. if you put the sled on the stand and run it 1/2 the time it the secondary will close all the way and the other half its just a little short. what's happing is the secondary does not like to close all the way. if you push it closed the belt will sit just above. when it stops short you can rotate the belp by hand not moving eather clutch.. its like it has a soft spring . also it very easy to open it to remove belt. I not sure if this would be softer being 80 hp compared to my 120hp . But on the 120 hp you have to work to get the belt off there is allot of spring pressure on this there is not. any ideas?

Are you sure that when the clutch was reassembled that you put the spring tabs back into the right holes in the helix and the movable sheave. You also need to remember to pretension the clutch by rotating the movable sheave counter clockwise while holding the helix to just past the first ramp. Then push down on the helix and install the snap ring. It just sounds like you dont have enough pretension to shift the belt all the way back up to me.

30years is probebly on to something here. What you are telling doesnt sound right at all. Its not easier to remove belt from the phazer than on other stock yamaha sleds. I guess your spring/helix are in wrong possision.

30yearsleder said:
Are you sure that when the clutch was reassembled that you put the spring tabs back into the right holes in the helix and the movable sheave. You also need to remember to pretension the clutch by rotating the movable sheave counter clockwise while holding the helix to just past the first ramp. Then push down on the helix and install the snap ring. It just sounds like you dont have enough pretension to shift the belt all the way back up to me.

I didn't take it apart I just pushed to closed and then belt come up.but like I said on a stand runnung 1/2 the time it comes up all the way and the other half it falls short. Its the secodary something the dealer put together or is something Yamaha put together, If its the dealer set up I would not be supprised.It sure sound like what you are saying.

Its from yamaha no dealer set up but then again you never know what your dealer may have done.. If its what I guess it is the sled would be impossible to drive. You will have no backshift at all and the primary will shift out way to fast. Take it off and have a look, only takes 5 minutes.

sniperviper said:
Its from yamaha no dealer set up but then again you never know what your dealer may have done.. If its what I guess it is the sled would be impossible to drive. You will have no backshift at all and the primary will shift out way to fast. Take it off and have a look, only takes 5 minutes.
I have rode it like that. only 80 miles on the sled. it will close but just sometimes not all the way, I will take it apart and have a look,maybe something is in there holding it apart. I wish I had a service book on this one.

Ok. Also, I have read somewhere on this forum about to much grease added in the secondary (from factory) maybe thats the reason your behave like it does.

I had the same problem this weekend. The seconday was binding up and not opening all the way. I took mine apart and cleaned up the helix and that took care of the problem. I screwed up and didn't pay attention to the spring settings so I had some trial and error getting it to work! Does anyone know what the spring is set at? Or is it different for every machine?
Thanks!

That is where I finally set it at. It wasn't working as well as usual but we were riding at 3500 ft and we are usually riding at less than 1000 ft so I think that is why.

Back