• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

opinions on skis

dutchie

Pro
can i get some opinions on aftermarket skis for nytro in 162 , i'm thinking of maybe getting them 8 inch wide C & A in mtx

whats the going choice most of you like , not much on trails , in powder and deep snow

Have you ridden the stock skis?

I think you will like them more than you think. I am trading my 2012 skis to get a set off a 2011 for this season. The 2012s might float a little better, but I like the "bite" of the larger keels on the older stock skis for off trail riding.

I would give the stock skis an honest try before making a move - I think air-frame boards are a better use of money for riding in deep snow if you haven't done that already.

ya i have about 1000 miles on the stock skis , i like em , have not tried any others just thought i'd go with ones that are made for lots of powder

from searching around , seems allot like them C & A mtx , i'd go with a second hand set if i could find them

Gen III work great in light fluffy snow but give you quite the workout on setup and spring snow because the dual keel design. Sydog powderhounds seem to work well from what i have read. quite a few people seem to go back to the 08-09 MTX stock ski becasue of its all around performance in all snow conditions. I read somewhere that they were loosely designed aroung the powder pro ski so that might be the reason they work pretty well for all different snow conditions. Its one of those items that comes down to personal preference. I like my Gen III but i am thinking of getting something else for spring conditions.

bholmlate said:
quite a few people seem to go back to the 08-09 MTX stock ski becasue of its all around performance in all snow conditions. I read somewhere that they were loosely designed around the powder pro ski so that might be the reason they work pretty well for all different snow conditions

The 08-09 skis are the same ones they used from 05-11 on all the mountain sleds and those are the ones I am going back to on my 2012. Yes they perform like powder pros and are very similar. I put Powder Pros on my 2003 RX1M and when I stepped up to the Apex Mtn in 2006 I noticed the ski designs were very similar. I liked the Yamaha ones better, I had issues with the powder pros "catching an edge" in hardpack snow and jerking the bars around. I never could figure out how to adjust that out of the powder pros. Other than that they were a great upgrade for the RX1M and worked a lot better than the pizza cutters that were stock.

I was going to go with aftermarket skis on my 2010 until I finally rode on them. I can't believe how well they work. On previous sleds I have has C&A's, Sly Dogs, Simmons, Ski-Doo's, and so on and I don't think any of them work better in all conditions than the stockers. Some may work better here or there but overall no way.... Save your money and put it towards something else. Just my $0.02's worth.

I rode all last season on the new nytro skis MT9 or something like that and they weren't bad my dad also has a nytro and had simmons gen 1's and they floated better but were weird to side hill and I just got my slydog powder hounds 8 inch wide and I love them

yammyboy said:
I rode all last season on the new nytro skis MT9 or something like that and they weren't bad my dad also has a nytro and had simmons gen 1's and they floated better but were weird to side hill and I just got my slydog powder hounds 8 inch wide and I love them

X2 on the 8" Powder Hounds.

The 2011 mtx ski has been the best ski I have tried yet. Going to give the mt9 a shot on my 2013 mtx but will like go back to the old model. They just seem to work everywhere. They are great on trail, control well on hard snow, non packed snow they steer well with almost no push. The seem to float well for me as well and side hill good. So no complaints from me. I honestly think other brands should be running them on there sleds rather than pilots making there way onto other sled brands. They out perform the pilots for me.

I tried the Gen III Simmons, worked great off the trail.

On the trail or spring snow, they were a work out. Not to mention for some reason they came to an instant stop on my trailer guides.

Went back to the stock ski's.

Do not get me wrong, the Gen III's work as well or better than advertised. When I try different guides on my trailer, they are going back on.

http://www.modsskis.com/

Ive never heard of anyone on a nytro using these ski's but I found out they work really well on all the other brands, so Im trying them out this year. they have great reviews on another site i look at so I got to try them on my sled.
do a google search for mods skis and you will see the reviews from the other site.

dutchie said:
wow , just checked them out ,

they look pretty darn good , anyone on here try em , almost sounds to good to be true ,

I have asked on a few forum sites and on here about a year ago, and nobody I know has tried them out on a nytro... Im going to bite the bullet for being a test dummy on the nytro, if pilot 6.9's work well on my nytro, and the mods skis work really well on the other brands they have to be good to work on a nytro right? who knows, but Im going to try them anyways.

Back