• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overheating Poll

Overheating Poll

• Overheating (Track Studded)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overheating (Track Not Studs)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Never Overheated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
grizztracks said:
berge75 said:
Did anyone ever check the temp, in degrees, when the light comes on? I think the light comes on a little early on some of these sleds and causes a panic. I think the dealer told me the temp light comes on at 178 deg. Your safe with the temps under 210deg.

178 degs seems way low. The automotive industry normally runs 180 deg thermostats. Does anyone know what temperature the thermostats opens on the nytro? When I get time I'll pull the sensor and check the actual temp it turns the light on.

Daranello, A dual Indicator light might not be that hard or expensive to install.

service manual said:
INSPECTION
1. Inspect:
• Thermostat
Does not open at 69.0 ~ 73.0 °C (156.2 ~
163.4 °F) → Replace.

I have verified my thermostat with the guage I installed. It starts circulating in the radiator at or about this temperature.

Since installing the thermostat, my sled has occasionally run as low as 178 and it also has runs as high as 210. One day I checked to see when the light would come on according to my gauge by letting it idle and it was 230.

I have learned that overheating on this machine is preventable if you keep the tunnel clear of snow and ice. I now carry a small rubber hammer and clean it out at rest stops. Now that I started doing it, every one else does too. And it works. By making sure there is fresh snow hitting that from exchanger I'm usually running in the 190 - 200 range. Still hot to my way of thinking but no light. In the off season, I'm going to add the MTX cooler as well as some hood ventilation as I think this sled is too sealed up around the rad.

i have had a lot of overheating mostly riding on hard pack low snow conditions. I have even open up the vents by the headlight to try and get more air flowing but it does not seem to have helped

grizztracks said:
NyTrOMaNIaC said:
My 08 FX Nytro RTX never overheats no matter what the conditions, however, my 07 Phazer FX overheated 4 times yesterday ?!?!?? Gonna try diluting the coolant and go from there....

The purpose of this post is to try to figure out why some overheat and some don't. I have an 08 rtx and have overheated several time. Sled is close to stock. I've installed the trail tank but I had problems before the install so I can't blame the tank.

This is an issue with theses sleds whether you've experienced overheating or not. If you respond to this post please give a little more info about your sled (mods), trail conditions and terrain. Maybe we can figure this out.

08 FX Nytro RTX
ALL tunnel protectors removed
1.5" Intense track, no studs
Yosh pipe mod
K&N Filters
CR10EK plugs
Everything else stock. Wednesday's snow conditions were hard packed groomed, about 6 Degrees Celcius and Sunny, and far too warm for the amount of gear I had on... :exc:
Like I said, our 07 Phazer FX overheated several times throughout the day in the same riding conditions, but my FX Nytro didn't, so I'm guessing the coolant mixture is too rich on the Phazer. There's all kinds of posts on here related to the coolant being too rich in these sleds from the factory, it's even stated in this month's SnowTech mag, so more than likely that is the problem. I'd try diluting the coolant first and go from there.

First a little clarification. Maybe I should have said "running hot" rather than overheated. I haven't heard of one actual overheating yet.

Most Yamaha owners are aware of the antifreeze issue and have made adjustments. I'm running a 50/50 mixture with water wetter. The problem with the nytro is beyond that. I'll be installing a heat exchanger this summer which will increase the total coolant capacity and heat dissipation.

According to the poll studding may help in certain conditions but it's not the answer. The poll is also showing a 60/40 split between never overheated and overheated. that's almost half experiencing a problem so it's not an isolated few. A little help from Yamaha would be nice.

I have over 5200 miles on my 08 rtx. I have rode on just about any condition there is. The track is studded and I have never had the temp light come on. I never ride this sled slow so my guess is by riding faster the radiator gets better airflow.

there are 2 levels of overheating, when the light comes on steady it is warm and you need to watch it and then there is flashing light and it then limits the engine speed till it cools down. Issue is there is not enough air flow through radiator.

Are you sure!? I didn't read this anywere in the manual...if its true that would be perfect and just what I wanted!

ldb said:
there are 2 levels of overheating, when the light comes on steady it is warm and you need to watch it and then there is flashing light and it then limits the engine speed till it cools down. Issue is there is not enough air flow through radiator.

Mine has been diluted to a 50/50 mixture but still heats up some times, I;m going to install mtx cooler over the summer. It needs more capacity. When I diluted the mixture on my apex I never saw the light come on again. The nytros dont hold enough coolant.

Opened my mouth too soon, warning light came on 4 times yesterday, although, conditions were very hard packed with no soft snow to cool the sleds and it was just after a mild spell with a quick freeze. My Intense track was the cause of the problem, where my buddy has the stock Ripsaw track and didn't have the warning light come on more than once. I also noticed my sliders were wearing more than usual, where I don't normally ride on hard packed conditions, and I certianly won't anymore :o|

yea I'm sure, when we did have snow at the end it was hard and anytime I slowed down the light came on, once at a intersection it wouldnt cross because the light was flashing and the rev limiter prevented very little increase in rpm. turned it into the wind and high idle and the light quit flashing and away we went.

overheat

I never had an issue all winter until the last couple of weeks. Mild weather and hard packed surface, stock sled. diluted my antifreeze to -35 and went to try it but we just got 4" of powder. no issues yet.

overheating

Overheated a couple of times last week up in maine.Havent checked the antifreeze yet but the fan should come on at some point to help cool it.Wondering when that is?2700 miles and that is the first time.Trails real hard with scratchers down alright later on in the afternoon as the trails got softer.

you can see the factory cut outs for that cooler in the top right corner.

XTX004.jpg

Dadcam780.jpg

I'm thinking that a lot of these overheating and hyfax wear problems can be solved with a set of ice scrachers. I've never considered them before but all the sleds I own have 1 1/4 tracks and every third closed windows. This combined with hard packed snow conditions results in lack of lubrication for sliders and snow dust for the heat exchangers.

Thanks for the picts Daranello, I checked my 08 rtx for the cutouts and it has the same. One less thing to worry about when I get around to installing it.

Back