• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overheating?

Boston RX1

TY 4 Stroke Master
If the sled overheats, will it eventually shut down before doing any damage. Sorry for the stupid question, but my manual is packed and in storage. Thanks.

According to the manual it is for when it is idleing only, so at speed it seems it won't help. I overheated my 1st trip twice and nothing happened accept the light went on, it was pretty hot to.

That is just plain stupid if when the engine overheats, it won't shut off. Mine got very hot this weekend, but I did not notice the ligh come on until after I had the engine off and turned it back on just to see if the light was on. It was and I threw some snow on it and then it went off again.

The way it works is that when the overheat icon and the warning light come on, a timer starts a 3 minute countdown. Then; only after 3 minutes of idle operation AND no activity from the throttle will the engine shut down. If you 'blip' the throttle 2 and a half minutes into the process, the 'clock' restarts. The feature is meant to protect the unit from the customer who forgets about his sled during the warm-up process. It won't protect the unit from damage if the unit is continously ridden while in the overheat mode.

According to my 04 manual, the throttle speed will over-ride and cause the machine to reduce speed, even if I am going hard. This conjuction with the idiot light is supposed to alert you to the fact that the machine is hot.

According to Yamer, if that happens you are supposed to throw the machine on your shoulders and take it the mile or so to fresh unused snow and then driving in circles while the unit cools itself off.

Or buy a polaris or articat that have oversize heat exchangers and never over heat, even if you use them in the summer time.

smokeless1 said:
Or buy a polaris and never over heat, even if you use them in the summer time.

.... you don't know much about some Polaris temp. problems right?.... I've seen the warning lights on 700's come on while warming up after the first start of the day! (something about a circulation problem)

Or, you could just move up here and forget about overheating altogether or at least until June and then you will overheat. LaLaLa Kidding, I know your not insane. It's -38C tonight and that's without the windchill. :D

JDKRXW said:
smokeless1 said:
Or buy a polaris and never over heat, even if you use them in the summer time.

.... you don't know much about some Polaris temp. problems right?.... I've seen the warning lights on 700's come on while warming up after the first start of the day! (something about a circulation problem)

I own a 04 switchback, 700 and after all the hoopla of yamaha overheating, etc, I put a heat gauge on it and it has not gone over 190 degrees even at idle. In the fluffy snow the temp drops to 120 degrees, and so far it has 86 miles on it. I love this sled so far, but it is only the second polagus I have owned. The other was a 1986 sprint, and it worked flawlessly til I sold it.

BTW this thing works amazingly well in the powder and the reverse is a stroke of genius. I only wish it didn't smoke at startup getting it out of my storage trailer, it is then that I wish it was a four stroker. But in fairness the only 4 stroker that doesn't stink up the trailer is the artichokes I own, which are EFI, and you can run them for days in there with nary a stink or smell. My RX-1 will caugh you out too. :ORC

Arctic RX said:
Or, you could just move up here and forget about overheating altogether or at least until June and then you will overheat. LaLaLa Kidding, I know your not insane. It's -38C tonight and that's without the windchill. :D

Okay, tell me if your RX-1 will start in those temps, or do you pull her in and cover her up?? electric thermostatically controlled heater??

You better have that machine setup pretty precisely, if you intend to get it running in the morning. :o|

I too was very surprised to hear it start up in those temps but it has always started, a fully charged battery and 0W40 fully synthetic oil plus turn it over 4 times for 5 second intervals and it roars to life. I love this sled. I will buy a heater this winter because I hate causing any damage to this amazing engine. :Rockon:

That is impressive to hear. I know that the articat four strokers with efi, sometimes do the low growl in the -25 range, but after the first revolution, it is running without a cough or hesitation. Hit the key and she is running. At that point you can go put your helmet on and forget about it till you are ready to ride. Frankly, it was a huge step down to get a machine that required choking, and feathering the throttle. But that's the way it came, and I had a burning desire for somethign that was as exciting as what it appeared. Now that I know the limitations, and all the things that needed fixing, I have to honestly say I am not sure I would have purchased it. But I believe the 4 stroke is where this is all going and I like the concept most of all.

I have yet to see extreme temps with the yamer, but I have never been much of a fan of carborated machines in low temps. EFI in all automotive has removed the days of pumping excellerators, and wondering if "this is the day she dies" idology.

LaLaLa

Back