• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Personal Observation. Apex gutted vs. aftermarket exhaust.

Wisconsin

Pro
Just wanted to let you guys know that I was out riding a couple weekends ago and heard another apex with an aftermarket exhaust. It sounded horrible and high pitched. Mine is fully gutted and his riding partner's apex also sounded gutted. The gutted exhausts sound much better.

The aftermarket exhaust sounded high pitched and tinny. Horrible! Just thought I'd pass this on for anyone who cares. Happy riding!

:4STroke:

What exactly is this gutting? Did you have to cut it open and re-weld? I dont want to make my Attack gt abnoxiously loud but would like a notable change. Is there any Hp or mpg advantages?

I get lots of compliments on it. There is a guide on here somewhere, but you'll have to search for it. You remove the seat and the exhaust shield. I then used a sawzall to cut open the top/rear of the muffler in a "U" shape. You then bend the flap up towards the front of the sled and I then cut out all of the cross pipes inside of the muffler. You need a long sawzall blade and it's still a bit of a pain to work in there. You then fold the flap back shut and weld it up. It's easy and the exhaust shield hides the weld, so you don't even see it when you take the seat off in the future. It sounds a bit louder than stock at idle and low RPM's and it screams pretty good at High RPM's. I have had no issues with it and I have driven by law enforcement and through plenty of towns. Just stay off of the throttle when in town.

I agree %100 with the Gutted. I get the most compliments from people from my exhaust. Simple mod. sounds great. many a compliments. I wrote a little comparision on here somewhere bout comparing the stock, gutted, excel, and silent Q (or something like that I can't quite remember) and a hauck. With an audience of rednecks at a tubing party my apex won the best sounding but not the loudest. Hauck won the loudest but also the most annoying. Go with gutted and if you don't like it you can ususally pick up a stock muffler for like 75 bucks.

I guess I will have to look for that guide that you are talking about. Sure do wish I could hear it. Did you notice any MPG or HP gains?

I haven't dyno'd my sled, so I wouldn't know. I also didn't calculate the MPG change, but I'm sure it helped a bit, but probably negligible. I think I typically average about 15mpg or so with mixed throttle riding. Not racing. I also have a great airbox mod. You cut open the bottom front of the air box and remove the black plastic flap in the nose cone of the sled. That way air fows in from the hood vents and up under the front of the sled into the air box. No worries about snow ingestion that way. It's louder and I've experienced no issues. The air is also still filtered by the airbox foam that way, too.

Bulbs to run =

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White-Xe ... ccessories

130/90 watt H4 6000k bulbs. Any higher than 6000K, and you'll be into the blue light spectrum and it distorts your vision (signs especially). 6000K is ultra white.

My friends love riding ahead of me b/c my lights are brighter behind them than theirs are on their own sled.

I would use HID's from http://www.ddmtuning.com/ but I don't want to draw any unneccessary attention to my sled from law enforcement. Their kits are awesome, inexpensive, lifetime warranty, and I'm running 3 sets in my Duramax with no issues. They're easier to deal with than ebay in case you have problems. My friend had a problem with a high/low accessory wire and they sent him a new one free of charge right away.

Back