• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer misfire and code 34 code 33

ATV PRO #11

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Phazer XTX
Well I've had my first problem in 18,000kms of riding phazers.
5000 on the 14 I ride now. Today, slowly started missing here and there. Stopped, checked everything I could. Started ok (cold already as its -37 with wind chill today) once moving it really started breaking up. Being out on the trail I pulled out my phone (iPhone 6) and it was frozen. Inside pocket with a hand warmer as its second time it's happend. Crap, gotta get at least to a Hwy.

Anyway, limped home with no codes bucking and popping all the way. Approx 30kms away!! Hey, it got me home. Says a lot!! Fmf pipe on there took a pounding. 2 rivets and some packing snuck out.

Checked fuel and no seperation when set my jar outside to confirm it wasn't bad fuel.

I'm assuming it's plugs but haven't pulled them out to confirm. I will be changing anyway and 71rdrnr pointed me to "Brisk" high performance plugs. Anyone have any feedback on those??
Some feedback on similar situations without a code??

EDIT ....... problem solved after multiple troubleshooting, thinking I had it, ride and it crept up again and again. Couldn’t replicate. Diagnosed many times. To sum it up, diagnosis always lead me to variables during wire testing and ohming (mainly harness from ecu to circuits they lead to). Every time it happened results were different. PROBLEM SOLVED with completely new wiring sub harness.

Last edited:

Never heard of them. Looks like snake oil to me. Expensive too. In your particular case, I doubt it's a plug unless the ceramic broke all of a sudden but it sounds more like a coil failed.

I agree sounds like a coil, my Venture MP is doing the same thing only happens when warm starts up great first 5- 10 minutes driving ok then a misfire have it narrowed down to a ignition coil waiting on parts to confirm.

Thanks gents.
Pulled plugs this morning and both a light tan.

Another thing I'd like to point out. My fan has been coming on all the time. Started the ride day before. Usually my fan never comes on.

Is there a way to ohm the coils? One of them (right side sitting) looks like small amount of white crust and rust in centre of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 471
I think it was -37 with wind chill so in reality might have been -20. Machines are not affected by wind chill. Wind chill is the equivalent temperature felt on bare skin. Still weird if the fan was on.

Coil Testing.jpg

I think it was -37 with wind chill so in reality might have been -20. Machines are not affected by wind chill. Wind chill is the equivalent temperature felt on bare skin. Still weird if the fan was on.

View attachment 114385

I took this photo this morning and this wouldn't be too far from him. Mine only started after jumping it with a warm battery.
image.jpeg

Thanks for responses guys!!

Coolest level checked both ride days. I check all 3 before pulling out of the cave before every ride. (Case n oil) when it warms up the level goes up 1/2-3/4" in resivour.

I checked history codes. 30, 34 and 84.
30 I've had from day one. "LO-OP" on screen when cranking. Yami says normal no worries. Sled has never been tipped.
34 I thought I saw last night but only flickered for a second while pushing reverse. Wouldn't go into r as it was running very rough.
84 I may have triggered while figuring out diag mode. I did check values 15 not touching throttle and 96.5 wot.

Having said all that. I put back together to check diag mode 6 (temp sensor). There was a 6* delta from my digital gauge to what read on my pod. I fired up. Warmed up and low and behold ran like a champ for 10 mins. Shut down. Mode 6. 84c on both. Fan came on 80c and off at around 84c. Tried again a couple of times and no problems. I could not locate sensor so I read off top of rad. Could not recreate the rough misfire.

Could a coil or plug go in and out like that?
Also, is coil no2 the right side (sitting on sled)?

I took this photo this morning and this wouldn't be too far from him. Mine only started after jumping it with a warm battery. View attachment 114386
Close enough lol.
I started having problems west of lockport. I live just east of Garson. Was a very long, cold, painfully slow ride home.

We should get a bunch of us local Phazer guys out for a ride one day!! 2 buddies park theirs here usually for winter :)

This reminds me of something I noticed on my Phazer a while back. I think of it every time I read about someone having an intermittent misfire/coil-type problem, but haven't been able to respond for one reason or another. Anyway, at some point I noticed that the two coil wires on my Phazer are fairly tight up against the bottom edge of the sheet metal portion of the upper frame/steering post mount. This edge was rather sharp on my machine, and I noticed that it had started to cut through the coil wire insulation, but had not got down to bare wires yet. This was with only around 750 miles on the machine, so I would imagine that it would continue to cut into the wires, eventually leading to a possible short/ground out of the coils, or something along those lines. I would think that it may not be a problem all the time (as long as the wires were not touching the metal frame), but could become a problem after some bumps, etc. Obviously this may not be the case in your situation, but it may also be worth a look while you have the fuel tank off.
SharpEdge.jpg

View attachment 114385

Thank you for the reply.
Using a fluke 177 true rms multimeter at 20c exact.
I tested when I pulled out with different results at 28c. 1.5 and 10.02.
As they cool I'm noticing meter is bouncing between 1.6 and even 1.7 top end.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 459
This reminds me of something I noticed on my Phazer a while back. I think of it every time I read about someone having an intermittent misfire/coil-type problem, but haven't been able to respond for one reason or another. Anyway, at some point I noticed that the two coil wires on my Phazer are fairly tight up against the bottom edge of the sheet metal portion of the upper frame/steering post mount. This edge was rather sharp on my machine, and I noticed that it had started to cut through the coil wire insulation, but had not got down to bare wires yet. This was with only around 750 miles on the machine, so I would imagine that it would continue to cut into the wires, eventually leading to a possible short/ground out of the coils, or something along those lines. I would think that it may not be a problem all the time (as long as the wires were not touching the metal frame), but could become a problem after some bumps, etc. Obviously this may not be the case in your situation, but it may also be worth a look while you have the fuel tank off.
View attachment 114394
I did check and our harnesses are different. My wires go directly up to main harness up approx where the fuel return line is. Appreciate your post tho. It may help diagnose the next one in need!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 519
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 421
Guys, what's that sensor on front connected to wire in holding? Flipped over and saw it was wearing a hole through casing. Wires inspected and look ok. May have caught a future problem!!??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 402
I take it back. I forgot you were in Winterpeg or thereabouts. So -50 with wind chill?:brrr:

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a part run fine cool and fail warmed up, coils especially, as the wire expands, it shorts out or breaks contact.

Back