• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer mountain skis

Put skulls on it! That will get it some attention. Personally I really don't understand the fascination.

Wife hates em and I don't have any on my Harley.

Your wifes sled looks great! I am going to get the free ride 136" kit from tracks USA but have not found a tunnel exension yet? Is it from Yamaha only or is there aftermarket available? And does your wifes sled have the mountain skis or some other form of aftermarket ski that is wider than stock?

Yes the MTX ski uses the same carbides, I've got 6" Bergstrom triples on mine. Also the MTX ski has a DEEP 1.125" keel and works very well as an aggressive trail ski and eliminates the push the short track ski suffers.

Thanks for the input, I think the mountain skis will work well for my purpose. Breaking trail to my cabin that is 1 1/2 miles off the plowed road can be very frustrating with the phazer in stock form and it looks like the 136" freeride with the factory MTX skis will improve things greatly for getting into the cabin. Skinz float plate also for a little extra security!

Just curious but why settle with the 136? Why not go with the 144 skid and be done with it. I found a complete skid , track and back handle from a mountain sled on Ebay. It was very reasonably priced. The mountain skid is a tip up design so trail riding doesn't suffer.

I also have the Skins flat plate for the arms and belly and it works very well.

Nice! So the mountain track setup is the 144" and different runners that tip up to help trail riding? I will begin to look for that setup! Thanks!!

Nice! So the mountain track setup is the 144" and different runners that tip up to help trail riding? I will begin to look for that setup! Thanks!!

Yes, it's a drop in. Bolts right up and the rail tips up at the back. I'll dig up a pic for you.

Yep, the tip up starts about 8" before the end of the rail, effectively acting like a ~128" track on the trail and floats like a 144" off trail.

I also have the Skinz flotation plate and a 136" Freeride with Tracks USA extensions. There is no kit for extending the bumper. There is another tread on here where there was a discussion about modifying the stock bumpers and there are some photos of mine and others. My bother is a welder so he helped me to extend it. Basically you cut the stock bumper and weld in more length. For the 136" you need about 8-10".

For me the reason I didn't go to a 144" is that we don't usually get enough snow to justify that here and I couldn't find a 144" Freeride. Also as a side note the drivers are smaller on the MTX and XTX.

Just curious but why settle with the 136? Why not go with the 144 skid and be done with it. I found a complete skid , track and back handle from a mountain sled on Ebay. It was very reasonably priced. The mountain skid is a tip up design so trail riding doesn't suffer.

I also have the Skins flat plate for the arms and belly and it works very well.

The MTX skid has tipped rails? I though only the XTX did from the factory?

This is mine:
image.jpg

So here is the 144 skid and track on the FX.

IMG_0459%5B1%5D.JPG

First thing you need to know is that you can use the 9 tooth track drives on what ever extension you will have a tight track when you install. Some have reported that the track will loosen up after time. If you use the 8 tooth drives no problems. The 8's are stock on the mountains. I chose to use the 9t and slot my rails. Worked very well.

IMG_0465%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0474%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Last edited:
That's interesting I hadn't really though about the tension I had wondered if the track would clear the front heat exchanger with a 9t driver. Looks like to does.

My 136 was tight and a real fight to get the rear axel in. The adjusters didn't even catch the nylock (sp?) in he nuts, I just used lock tight.

Great looking sled btw.

I used the 9 tooth drivers to give me a bit better approach angle. Lots of clearance for the 9t with a two inch paddle and it somewhat helps with the front heat exchanger icing issue. For me it was just easier to slot the skid then weld on a threaded extension so everything worked properly.

Back