• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pics of Etrex Legend GPS mounted on Warrior

ToddMeister

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha SR Viper LTX LE
YAHOO
tmeister73
Here's some pics of an Etrex Legend GPS mounted on my 04 Warrior LE:

Here's the 12V Accessory Jack Mounting

Here's the 12V Accessory Jack Mounting

GPS Mount

Very nice. Copied your work to my sled. Thanks for the nice work you provided for me to copy from. I feel like a crook :twisted:

Hi toddmiester,we currently have the same etrex legend,i love mine,but i thought we could only use it with the batteries,now did you hook it up thru the port in the top,the usb port,and if so can you give me step by step instructions, i am a little slow at electrical hook ups,and i was not sure of the hook up near the oil bag,i guess its the blue wires you have outlined for us,thank you,and how does it work? good i take it,the only problem i have had w/mine was the batteries running down,in no time,max speed i have seen on mine is 115 so far.

RXWonder don't hardwire it!!! I did that and blew mine up. The Garmin Power Cord reduces the voltage to 3 amps. Also, make sure if you are using the adjustable mount to tighten your screws down real tight, one of mine vibrated out.

Etrex Legend Marine Mount

As shown in the pics above, I attached the GPS marine mount next to the gauge cluster. I removed the windshield and gauge cluster mount prior to attaching the marine bracket, to allow tightening the marine mount nuts on the back side of gauge cluster mount. There isn't quite enough room to do this with the cluster mount installed on the hood.

I picked up a cigarette lighter adapter to plug the GPS power cable into at a local auto parts store. It was actually a wye adapter, which provided two 12 volt receptacles for me (one for each sled)

Wiring Diagram

You need to use the car lighter adapter for use with the Etrex series GPS. It reduces the 12v battery voltage to 3 volts. If you wire it direct you will fry the GPS unit.

The power plugs into the top of the GPS unit. I ran the cord behind the gauge cluster (removed cluster first) and along the hood factory wiring harnesses, then down below the air box and exited out near the flying battery leads as shown in the picture. I tapped into the fused wiring near the reverse lever for cigarette lighter adapter power. When the ignition key is off power is removed from the GPS.

The attached picture of the wiring diagram shows where to tap in the positive wire for the GPS cigarette lighter. I tapped into the Blue/Red wire at the fuse block. If your sled has reverse, you could also tap into the Blue/Red wire on the Reverse Buzzer (the same wire, but may be easier to work with). The negative for the cigarette lighter adapter can be attached to any bolt on the chassis metal (ground).

You can run a wire directly to the battery, but if you forget to unhook the GPS from the power cable, you will eventually run the battery down.

Here is the way I mounted my GPS

Attachments

• gps 1.jpg
    gps 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 260
  • gps 2.jpg
    gps 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 269

Back