• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

PLEASE HELP WITH THIS QUESTION - friends RX1 is down....

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
Sled is down.

03 RX-1. Bad clutch side jackshaft bearing. How does the old bearing come out? Is it like my 05 Vector that had the tapered bearing and the tapered leave that has to be tighter down?

Any help is most appreciated!!!!

edit - the jackshaft has a taped split sleeve like my 05 Vector does, but I can't figure out how the split sleeve is tightened from the backside? My Vector has a threaded collar and the jackshaft is threaded

Last edited:

If I'm not mistaken, the 03 RX-1 did not have the locking collar on the backside and only had the split sleeve; that was released in the 04 models. I recall working with Kevin at Port Yamaha years back to order all the necessary items to update to the locking collar on my 03 RX-1.

As for how to get the old bearing out, there may be other ways but I opted to remove the chain case (both front and back covers) and take out the jackshaft out along with the bearing. Once you have the back chain case cover removed, I used a hammer and a piece of wood between the hammer and jackshaft to protect jackshaft. I also read where others found a piece of pipe that slid over the jackshaft but yet small enough to fit in the area occupied by the jackshaft and make contact with the bearing where you pound on the pipe and not the jackshaft.

Lastly, if you're wanting to update to the new locking collar design, I believe these are the parts required although I'm not sure about #20:

#17........ 8FA-17645-10-00 COLLAR
#18........ 8FA-17642-00-00 NUT, BEARING
#19........ 90209-25012-00 WASHER
#20........ 90201-25289-00 WASHER, PLATE (T1.6)

Forgot to mention the jackshaft bearing also has a snap ring in its housing that needs to be removed in order to get bearing out

Having to post questions in the general forum isn’t a good sign. It’s sad to see how many people have dropped away from both Yamaha sleds and forums in general. Facebook is no replacement for a good forum but unfortunately that’s the way things have been going for years. There is so much less traffic on here than how it was in the mid to late 00’s.

VK - I TRY to help people on FB by steering them over here. I am by no means an expert on the Yam 4S sleds but being here and owning one for 17 years, I know I know a hell of a lot more than some people on FB. Just because they've owned a 2014 Viper for 2 years, they think they are experts on all Yam 4S sleds!

Rob - thanks for the info!!!!

Currently, I'm on Day 4 of a 30-day ban of FB! I've been a bad, bad boy!LaLaLa

Back