• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

poor handling 2005 RX1

lyndske

I have a 2005 rx1 which seems to have way too much ski pressure and I can't find a way to reduce it. I have backed the spring preload off to the point that the springs are loose when the skis are off the ground. The limiter straps would only increase spring pressure and the coupler keeps it from transfering weight. It darts terribly. I am very disappointed in this rear suspension with it's durability issues and poor handling I would say the old suspension was better. I am looking for suggestion to improve the handling. I plan on installing ski-doo precision ski's. I borrowed a set for a few miles and they worked well. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUGESTIONS

First off, the front springs MUST be snug when off the ground. It is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS for them to be loose.

1) Check the alignment. You're probably toed out too far. Make them parallel or just a little out.

2) Straps should be LOOSENED to reduce ski pressure.

3) Transfer rod gap INCREASED (move the nuts towards the FRONT of the sled),

4) TIGHTEN the rear spring.

5) Shim the skis - that means shove something under the BACK of the rubber block on the skis to change the weight bias to the back.

lazy bastard
I have the skis toed out 1/4", the strap is loose, the spring preload on the mono shock is on #3 of the middle seat position (my weight is 180) and I have also shimmed the back of the skis down slightly to reduce darting.

You've done everything I know that can reduce the ski pressure. Unfortunately this is one of the limitations to the mono-shock suspension. Personally I find the constant speed weight on the skis about right for me, but I can see where some riders would prefer more or less.

Most likely it now handles poorly, lifts the skis coming out of corners and is very tippy with the setup you describe.

The only way to really change the "feeling" of weight on the front end is to try different skis or less aggressive carbides (when accelerating the weight on the skis can easily be adjusted with the settings you've been playing with - at constant speed or decelerating nothing can be done to adjust the weight on the skis with the mono skid).

I would recommend you tighten the limiter at least to the middle hole, adjust the weight transfer to between 1 and 2 ticks from minimum, adjust the front ski springs close to stock, set the toe to just a hair toe out when lightly pushing the tips together and change the carbides/skis to ones that make it easier to steer. Note that some aftermarket skis call for the 0 toe in.

You'll find the sled more stable, more predictable, and much better handling on twisty trails with the above settings.

For darting, a significant improvement can be made by running Bergstrom ski savers in combination with shims at the rear of the ski rubber (as you are running). Less aggressive carbides and studding the track also help to make the sled more stable in a straight line. I haven't tried aftermarket skis, but some are supposed to virtually eliminate darting.

If you find it's bottoming out (with the RA adjusted as stiff as you're willing to or can go) you will want to crank up the mono-spring preload more or possibly go with a slightly heavier spring (there are 5 or 6 different spring rates available - stock is 2nd from the softest).

I expect once you get it dialed in you'll fairly happy with the performance of the suspension.

Durability wise, the 05 suspensions are a little weak. The 06's pivot arms and slide rails are much better, but even the 06 arms are subject to fatigue cracks over high mileage if you ride aggressively.

Do you mean it is hard to steer when you refer to too much ski pressure?

When you shim the back of the rubber under the ski spindle you get more pressure on the rear of the ski making it harder to turn the handlebars when driving. You may try to reduce the thickness of your shim a little. Too much shim will make you steer with mostly the rear end of the ski which makes it very hard to steer. I removed the ski shim on my 2003, I got a little darting back but my arms likes the reduced steering effort.

Back