• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pop Goes the Weasle.... well Intercooler and Injector bodies

kwb

06 Apex Mtn Stage 1.
Just bought the sled last week with S/C installed, go ride saturday for a get a feel ride... this isn't right, play with controller.... still not right... go digging under hood

intercooler is still nicely attached to throttle bodies but they have popped off the intake mainifold.

Go home fix sled making sure that everything is stupid clean on the boots and flanges. Read here lots more stuff about the MPI stage 1 kit and settings.

Go again today and about 4-5 miles up the trail off to the races, POP just about the time it gets to 9000RPM or so under one of the first good pulls for the day..... back to trailer where I smartly brought along a lot more tools today.

Not wanting to waste the day I swapped pullies just so I could put a few miles on the sled. Overall I think it rides pretty well but am pretty worried about doing the tight trees since it is nowhere as nimble as the MM that I have been on.

Still a bit of playing with settings needs to be done since there are a couple points as you start accelerating that it gets a bit flat.

But what I really want to know is -- is popping the injector bodies off the intake that common? How can I go back to the full boost settings and keep the injectors on the motor?

Even at the lower boost -- wow I am feeling much better about the sled today than yesterday. :jump: :Rockon:

Re: Pop Goes the Weasle.... well Intercooler and Injector bo

kwb said:
06 Apex Mtn Stage 1.
Just bought the sled last week with S/C installed, go ride saturday for a get a feel ride... this isn't right, play with controller.... still not right... go digging under hood

intercooler is still nicely attached to throttle bodies but they have popped off the intake mainifold.

Go home fix sled making sure that everything is stupid clean on the boots and flanges. Read here lots more stuff about the MPI stage 1 kit and settings.

Go again today and about 4-5 miles up the trail off to the races, POP just about the time it gets to 9000RPM or so under one of the first good pulls for the day..... back to trailer where I smartly brought along a lot more tools today.

Not wanting to waste the day I swapped pullies just so I could put a few miles on the sled. Overall I think it rides pretty well but am pretty worried about doing the tight trees since it is nowhere as nimble as the MM that I have been on.

Still a bit of playing with settings needs to be done since there are a couple points as you start accelerating that it gets a bit flat.

But what I really want to know is -- is popping the injector bodies off the intake that common? How can I go back to the full boost settings and keep the injectors on the motor?

Even at the lower boost -- wow I am feeling much better about the sled today than yesterday. :jump: :Rockon:

Get rid of the stock spacer on the factory clamps and replace with a few washers so that you can tighten the bolts down more onto the boots.

I have had mine blow off four times now and have finally decided to glue the boots on and tied the rail down to the bolt that holds the starter on. We just lost our snow, so I cant tell you if that is for sure the cure, but if the glue holds half as good as it stuck to my fingers, then the boots arent going anywhere.

KWB,

I had mine pop twice last year. First time, the clamps were too tight and after talking w/ MPI they concurred that was the issue. They told to me to go just beyond snug, so I did that. They popped again. This time I made sure the clamps were just a few thousandths from the end, all boots were even on the throttle bodies and intercooler, then went just beyond snug. Never had them come off again. I really think it is in the consistentency of the set-up.
My buddies had his pop several times as well, so he had TJ's Sports in WY do their fix - weld a flange off the intercooler and bolt it to the delta box frame with a nutsert. This also seemed to help with his issues. I'm not sure how much Troy charges to do this repair, but you could always contact him to find out.

Hope this helps and good luck!

kwb said:
06 Apex Mtn Stage 1.

I tapped a bolt through each "intake boot to head" and now I am 100% confident it wont pop em off on the motor's side of intake...

Bu now that I will run 20+# of boost, I may consider doing the tb side of the boots too just in case....

Sounds like those SC'rs need a BOV for those boost spikes when the throttle bodies close. I think you might have bought the SC I was considering buying in south Seattle. Hope it works out for you.

Rt

lakercr said:
Get rid of the stock spacer on the factory clamps and replace with a few washers so that you can tighten the bolts down more onto the boots.

Do this, plus use a little RTV sealant on each boot. Also you can devise a strap that holds your intercooler down.

Its not just a supercharger problem. Dealers boondocker did it alot. But boondocker welds a tab/bracket to mount to the stock headlight bracket. but his runs a fiberglass hood. He made an adapter to the delta box, no more problems, and it has a bov. When I was at the BDSO in Whistler, the Outlaw guys for Oregon had a big ratchet strap holding down there intercooler. For some reseason its a apex problem.

You mean a strap kinda like this one ??

strap.jpg

First time, the clamps were too tight and after talking w/ MPI they concurred that was the issue. They told to me to go just beyond snug, so I did that. They popped again. This time I made sure the clamps were just a few thousandths from the end, all boots were even on the throttle bodies and intercooler, then went just beyond snug.

Is this with or without the factory spacers?

Back