• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

powder coating what do you think

snowracer1000

Extreme
I am thinking of powder coating my rails, rear skid parts, a arms and spindles. The first question is will good powder coating hold up in the rails or is it a waste of money. Second it's a black xtx polished tunnel i am thinking spindles in black, a arms and rear pieces in the candy red like the 06 apex arms. What do you guys think?

The coating should hold up real well on the rails, assuming they are prepped right by the coater.

Of all the coating I had done on my trailing arm sled, the radius rods took the biggest beating and even then there was only minor surface chipping(not right through to the metal). The R Rods did develop a little 'sand blasted' look but could have probably been polished up. I had it for two seasons like that. All the other coating was fine.

snowracer1000 said:
I am thinking of powder coating my rails, rear skid parts, a arms and spindles. The first question is will good powder coating hold up in the rails or is it a waste of money. Second it's a black xtx polished tunnel i am thinking spindles in black, a arms and rear pieces in the candy red like the 06 apex arms. What do you guys think?

I powdercoated the rails on the 2 stroke I put together last summer and they held up extremely well this winter and still look good. I also like to have some things custom to my liking I also just bought a used 2010 XTX Black on Black and I am thinking of ways to personalize it to my liking. heres a picture of my suspension I put together for the SSX600

Attachments

• 100_1046 (Medium).JPG
    100_1046 (Medium).JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 73
as long as the rails get blasted first to insure good adheasion.. the powder coating should hold up excellent..

Here is a picture of the red you want..

Attachments

• Dormant Red Rails and beef up (600 x 450).jpg
    Dormant Red Rails and beef up (600 x 450).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 82
Just make sure that they are balasted or ruffed up really well, and I would suggest clear coating them, or for sure you wont get more than 2 years out of them, if that, I worked in a powder coating shop, and its over rated im my opinion, but it does depend on the prep. But for sure clear coat the parts, I have seen both, and the parts that were clear-coated lasted way longer, and they did not rust or fade..... Just my 2 cents.

welterracer said:
as long as the rails get blasted first to insure good adheasion.. the powder coating should hold up excellent..

Here is a picture of the red you want..

Nice work! :Rockon:

Back