• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Prices getting too high???

When the price of sleds went over 10 grand I had to talk myself into buying one. It was tough.
When the sidewinder came out I spring ordered a 17. Never asked the dealer for a price out the door just ordered what model I wanted.
Now the only thing that would get me on a new sled would be the power steering and the right color. Time will tell I guess.

The last new sled I brought was my 2016 viper.Brought a used M8000 last year for a second sled.Next sled will be used too,new prices are so ridiculously high and they depreciate so fast,you can always find a good deal used.Paying these prices for sleds that just don't last and often require so much maintenance is a whole other issue too.You definitely don't get what you pay for,especially when buying new.

Bought my wife's MXZ for less than retail from a very good local dealer. I've bought a couple sleds from them. Being in the marine industry, my summers are tied up so winter hobbies it is, ice fishing and snowmobiling.

I have plans next year to buy new but I look at all the problems people are having and the recalls and I have a hard time laying out that much money .
My last few sleds have been used and then I upgrade the shocks and clutch’s and I hop back and forth from my buddies 22’s and I almost want to get back on mine .

I’m getting too old to be messing with mid season smart shocks that don’t work and stop ride issues . And we had a big trip planned last week and got 1 good day of riding in and then the rain hit . But hey first time in a long time Wis has had good rideable snow in December. At least where my cabin is . I can’t think of another hobby where I have this much fun so I’ll keep chasing snow ⛄

The season is getting shorter and shorter.. Then we have certain GAS stations in the UP charging 1-2 dollars a gallon MORE for premium gas then a gas station just a few miles down the road? Parts are not available before the season ends? (BACK ORDER).. I don't see this sport making it much past 2050 in the US.. We get more rain then snow in areas that were very rideable 20-30 years ago.. Even in the snow belt areas(lake effect) we are seeing WAY MORE south/southwest winds in the winter. Its getting to the breaking point for many with pricing/sleds/fuel/parts and short seasons if it even snows at all.. I see the lack of snow AND cold breaking the camels back before sled prices.. Always someone willing to pay outrageous prices on just about anything much less a new sled.

The season is getting shorter and shorter.. Then we have certain GAS stations in the UP charging 1-2 dollars a gallon MORE for premium gas then a gas station just a few miles down the road? Parts are not available before the season ends? (BACK ORDER).. I don't see this sport making it much past 2050 in the US.. We get more rain then snow in areas that were very rideable 20-30 years ago.. Even in the snow belt areas(lake effect) we are seeing WAY MORE south/southwest winds in the winter. Its getting to the breaking point for many with pricing/sleds/fuel/parts and short seasons if it even snows at all.. I see the lack of snow AND cold breaking the camels back before sled prices.. Always someone willing to pay outrageous prices on just about anything much less a new sled.
Nailed that one. Reg fuel in Wis $3.09, premium was $5.09. not a deal breaker, but riding in questionable conditions on top of that is.
Season used to start dec 1st. In my younger days. Now you're lucky to start in mid January. The cold and snow are getting extended past March, but the trail passes aren't.
So now I have to pick & choose even more carefully, as I have to trailer 300 miles (minimum) to get there.

Nailed that one. Reg fuel in Wis $3.09, premium was $5.09. not a deal breaker, but riding in questionable conditions on top of that is.
Season used to start dec 1st. In my younger days. Now you're lucky to start in mid January. The cold and snow are getting extended past March, but the trail passes aren't.
So now I have to pick & choose even more carefully, as I have to trailer 300 miles (minimum) to get there.
Its sad actually.. The amount of sleds is getting crazy.. You have no snow anywhere so everyone is riding in a smaller and smaller area where the snow is.. Clubs cant keep up on grooming. I will NEVER buy gas from a certain chain that has been doing this price gauging for years.. give you a clue it starts with the letter "K" .. DO NOT buy gas from this greedy chain.. Its just plain greed.. 2 kwik trips opened in the area I ride in and might stop some of this bull sh*&. I understand you need to pay your help and keep the lights on BUT 2 to 2.50 more a gallon then anyone within 50 miles?? Come on.. Another station that is owned by the city that its in is doing this BS also.. Give you a clue on that also.. The city starts with the letter "M".

Greed..

"intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food"

I went to Vilas county on Monday. Just did the math....$5 a mile. Lol.
And while riding, breaking in two belts, it occurred to me....in the 100miles I rode, with the exception of lakes, there is less then 5% of riding there that I could actually use all the power (new tune)
So, add one more asshole to the list of riders heading to the UP. Lol.
Keweenaw peninsula is definitely not on the list of places I'd go. Place is insane, trail riders, boondockers, etc.

I'm thankful to still ride and happy with what a have.

I absolutely agree.

The subject of price always comes up in any hobby. How much to spend on golf clubs? How much to spend on a smoker? How about a classic car? Woodworking tools?
Do what you like, what you can afford.
For me it's snowmobiling. There is nothing else I would rather be doing. I know that is not the case with everyone.
I know we have had a couple of short seasons. You can't get mad at what you can't control. I will chase snow if I have to.
The " I'll buy an SXS/ 4wheeler because I can ride it for 6 months" argument doesn't really apply for me as I find 4 wheelers and SXS's to be boring in comparison to snowmobiling. I'll buy a Jeep first. Or drive my Blazer.
In the end, buy the best you can afford. As long as you're doing it that is what matters. Who cares if it new or not.
Actually, there are some pretty good deals out there right now.

I love snowmobiling as well... but STILL need some summer fun. I have a pair of very "built" quads but we are also building a Silverado prerunner to play at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan.

Not as extreme as some in this video... but you get the idea.

makes you wonder what the average age of a yamaha rider is these days . im going to guess its mid 40's . pricing of stuff is getting out of hand . i think doo is on the right track with entry level machines on a budget . i think yamaha could do this better . 4 stroke engine in a sled dosent need to last 100k ,10-20K is fine. and i think they could make something completely different but dont see them wanting to be in the segment anymore.

I'll be honest I can no longer afford a new snowmobile. I'm not sure many people can anymore. Yamaha prices jumped $3000 on average from 2022 to 2023 on all sidewinder models. Do we need all this fancy tec like a 10 inch screen and blue tooth calling? I sure don't. I think soon the manufactures will price themselves out of the market. The new turbo doo summit expert with all the extras is $33,500 Canadian! SRX sidewinder is also almost $30,000 Canadian. I'm just curious what others think?
I'm out too.......Have had 10 new sleds plus numerous good used sleds in the past .....No more new ones for me

makes you wonder what the average age of a yamaha rider is these days . im going to guess its mid 40's . pricing of stuff is getting out of hand . i think doo is on the right track with entry level machines on a budget . i think yamaha could do this better . 4 stroke engine in a sled dosent need to last 100k ,10-20K is fine. and i think they could make something completely different but dont see them wanting to be in the segment anymore.
I'm out too.......Have had 10 new sleds plus numerous good used sleds in the past .....No more new ones for me

The average snowmobiles age is 53 according to the ISMA. https://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobile-sales-data-2021-2022.html

Yearly sled sales have been on a downward trend since their high point in ‘97. Some years they sell more than others but the trend isn’t moving upwards. With climate change, fewer sales and the ever increasing cost of new sleds the OEM’s have priced themselves out of the market. They seem to be chasing boomers which is stupid. Look at what’s happened to Harley Davidson.

The motorcycle market offers plenty of low priced motorcycles at all kinds of different performance levels. The low end market for snowmobiles is pathetic and too expensive.

I don’t see myself buying a brand new sled anytime soon. I simply can’t bring myself to being okay with spending $15,000+ for a 600cc rough trail sled.

I’ve typically bought used and waited for the right deal to come along. I’ve been watching the market closely since I bought my last sled in 2018 I think it was. Prices were in a slump then so I got a good deal. Been waiting watching closely for a sidewinder ever since as I bought a viper to see if I liked the chassis or not. This year the stars somewhat aligned and I figured it was a good time to jump ship on my old one. Sold it for 2,000 more then I paid for it. Course the new ones have gone up so it’s somewhat relative. Ended up with a 2022 that was barely used for a slight discount from a brand new one and it still had 4 full years of warranty. My thought was if I didn’t sell now another year of riding my old one would make it worth a lot less and harder to sell as it was just about up to 10,000 kms. Still in excellent shape though and needed nothing to go ride it. Had actually just gone through it from end to end a couple days before I traded. Already seeing a slow down in sales on the used side though now and the local dealer last I looked had 4-5 brand new ones siting waiting for a new owner. Are we headed for a bad recession? I don’t know. Are we headed for a down turn for a couple years? Yup I think so. With people back traveling now again I think the used market is going to take it the worst. A lot of these Covid priced sleds will be back on the market in the next coming months and they sure aren’t going to bring what people paid for them.

Back