• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Prices getting too high???

Father Mike

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT N/A Build
2011 Apex SE
2009 Nytro XTX
I'll be honest I can no longer afford a new snowmobile. I'm not sure many people can anymore. Yamaha prices jumped $3000 on average from 2022 to 2023 on all sidewinder models. Do we need all this fancy tec like a 10 inch screen and blue tooth calling? I sure don't. I think soon the manufactures will price themselves out of the market. The new turbo doo summit expert with all the extras is $33,500 Canadian! SRX sidewinder is also almost $30,000 Canadian. I'm just curious what others think?

Snowmobiling consumes allot of free cash for sure...I'd be worth it if the season was longer. In Maine we got a nice downfall but this weekend with rain coming it will all be gone, next week looks bleak with warm temps. So at best this year 2 months of sledding..$25k for a new sled with some bells and whistles for 2 months is not the greatest equation. But it will be an awesome 2 months!! Joe

I would agree. My wifes sled was due for replacement last season. We waited for the right deal all winter and got a great deal on a used sled with 178 miles at the end of March.

This is my 5th year on my Sidewinder. I wanted to order a 9000 Riot last winter but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. As much as I want a brand new sled, I will probably wait until the right deal comes along for a used one.

I'll be honest I can no longer afford a new snowmobile. I'm not sure many people can anymore. Yamaha prices jumped $3000 on average from 2022 to 2023 on all sidewinder models. Do we need all this fancy tec like a 10 inch screen and blue tooth calling? I sure don't. I think soon the manufactures will price themselves out of the market. The new turbo doo summit expert with all the extras is $33,500 Canadian! SRX sidewinder is also almost $30,000 Canadian. I'm just curious what others think?
I agree 100% !

I'll be honest too. I can afford to buy a new sled but like kyster can't bring myself to spend all that money. My 18 LTX LE winder has 7,500 miles on it and my 16 RTX Viper has 3,800 miles on it. Just stay the course with what I have for a few more years. Both sleds are well maintained with lots of mods so I'm good for now.

They can't build them fast enough even at these high prices.
Can this last, I guess that's the question.

Reversal of sorts coming. Already starting to see it on the automotive side. Rising interest rates and rising costs of everyday items are slowing markets down. Dealers starting to see people declining their preorders which could put some of them in a bad spot.

They seem to be selling, maybe because they are not producing as many, who knows, but I have to agree with the prices being to high for a new sled, most do some sort of mods to make their sled more reliable which you shouldn't have to really at that price, so that also adds to the cost, this seems to keep alot of riders on their older sleds longer, not sure what the OEMS are thinking, seems like the future for snowmobiling and owning a new sled are getting harder to reach for the average snowmobiler, most just can't justify paying 30 grand for a top of the line new sled, guess that's why 4 stroke are so attractive, you get more miles out of them to keep you in the sport, not sure what the future holds for the OEMs, seems the grassroot and core sledders that built this wonderful sport have a hard time justify OEMs pricing anymore, sad

Over on the Doo side this doesn't seem to be the case with keeping sleds longer. BRP is innovating and constantly bringing something new to the table and that sells. The reliability and only 2 year warranty has those Doo owners flipping their sleds every two years just to avoid engine issues.

Over on the Doo side this doesn't seem to be the case with keeping sleds longer. BRP is innovating and constantly bringing something new to the table and that sells. The reliability and only 2 year warranty has those Doo owners flipping their sleds every two years just to avoid engine issues.
Someone has to buy these flipped sleds, trying to get a good deal, 4 stroke would not be to much of a issue buying used with a few miles, 2 stroke on the other hand may be riskier for sure, price will dictate them selling though, these types of sleds keeps the sport of snowmobiling alive.

Didn’t the 2023 Power Surge sleds sell out in one day?

You gotta look at the BIG picture - How much is that newer tow vehicle, sled trailer and new sled worth plus the “mods” and BOP parts that 20/80 mentioned?

The problem is "recent year" used prices approach new prices. In other words, plus a couple of grand you get new. The new lowers the used repair risk.

Do you really want to risk not getting your new sled until the season is over, my buddy lost his 2022 riding season due to this. now he has a brand new sled that came in in April but is a year old. Lets stop buying new products for 1 year and guess what......prices will drop. I'm just waiting for truck prices to drop now. Last year at this time, zero inventory on dealer lots, today Barrie Chrysler has 600 in stock. Just wait, they will reduce price if they sit much longer.

Yeah, supply shortages were the perfect excuse to gouge both new and used sled buyers. My sled purchase history is about 50% new and 50% used but the last new one was in 2005. Now that kids are through college might consider a new one in the next year or two but it doesn't a whole lot of $$ sense.

As long as the wait isn't too long, I'm going to try and wait this out until we are back to buying leftovers at firesale prices. My 2018 SW was $13k brand new in March of 2018. Its hard to stomach paying $7-8k more for the same exact sled, but with EPS.

Our local Doo/Poo dealer is sitting on 58 new sleds, all marked up $2k over MSRP. Perhaps, the wait won't be too long.

Last edited:

Back