• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

problem after boot update with adjuster

NEED SNOW

Expert
I had the boot update, and zerks, added to my mono skid about 3 weeks ago. Today for the first time I tried to turn it from hard to soft, but it stops 3 cliks away from soft. I seem to have lost 3 cliks of adjustment. Befor it would go all the way around. I will call my dealer next week. Befor I do, I thought this might be a comon problem. Has any one else had this problem after the boot update ? or after the skid has been reinstalld ?...thanks...Gary.

It is probably out of time - There is a section in the tech update manual on how to get it back - if dealer did update, take it back to him unless big pain in A--. If you try to do it yourself, turn adjuster all the way counterclockwise, then take off cable at shock point and turn shock all the way clockwise with small screw driver (should be your 3 clicks) Then put back together. If do not understand all the pieces, take back to dealer since he gets 1/2 hr from Yamaha to install it.

This thing is really pretty simple to take apart and align. I tore my skid out and noticed the adjuster unit had all kinds of moisture dripping out of it from last year so I tore it apart and cleaned all the old grease out and regreased it. If you do take it apart...be careful when you seperate it. There are 2 small ball bearings that ride on top of springs that sit in holes in the housing. This is how you get the "clicking" effect. The balls ride spring loaded on the back side of the dial and as you turn the dial the balls pop into little craters on the back side of the dial. When I took it apart there was enough grease in it to keep the balls stuck to the springs... and the springs will NOT go flying etc...so when you do crack it open be sure to have the dial twards the sky and open it straigt up. Once you clean it all up you will notice on the back side of one gear there is a stop that hits a pin in the housing so you can't go any further in whatever direction your turning the dial. That gear has a small dot on one of the teeth that allows you to center it up correctly. There is an arrow on the inside of the housing that you center the dot up with. When you put it back together you should have 11 clicks in each direction from center.
The stop pin I mentioned can come out of the housing as well so be careful not to lose it. All in all it's really a simple gear set up. If you pay attention you will have no problem getting it back togeter and centered.
The ony thing that I made sure of was that my shock was in the center setting BEFORE I took the cable out of the shock. This way when I put it back together I know I will be in the center setting for the shock and the dial. As far as if your shock is out of center...I don't know if there is a stop in the shock itself. I would start with your dial. If your off 3 clicks my guess would be that your cable was put back in the shock in the wrong position or the dealer got your dial out of center when they replaced the cable.
You might want to remove the cable...click your dial the 3 clicks in the direction your off and reinstall it in the shock. Then see if you have your 11 clicks in each direction. If your NOT going to tear your dial apart I would at least see if you have the 11 clicks from center with the cable out of the shock. If not then you need to take it apart and recenter it. If you tore your cable out and dealer replaced it then they HAD to crack open the dial to replace the cable. My guess is someone put it back together wrong. It's not a bad Idea to get fimilar with it since you may want to maintain it in the future.
I know I will be tearing mine apart each year after finding all the moisture in it. By the way...dealer said a new gasket will not help the water issue. It' going to get in there. He said he see's it on most of them.

Thanks for the info...I took it back to the dealer. It was o,k. untill they worked on it. One thing I noticed just befor I put it on the trailer. When it comes to a stop about 3 clicks from soft, and then turn it slowly back to hard. it turns harder and harder then at about number 5 it makes a loud popping sound, then it will free up and turn normall all the way to hard. I did this about 6 or 7 times and it did it avery time. I will let you know what my dealer says it was...Gary.

My dealer cald to day and said the shock would just turn so far then it would freeze up. He said it's the shock, not the adjuster, that went bad. I would think they would have noticed that when they did the update. YAMAHA told him to put in a brand new shock. Has any of you had the mono shock go bad on a 05 ?...

Sweet that your getting an new shock out of the deal.
Have not heard of any others that went bad as far as the adjustment goes...

Back