• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Problem Idling During Warm-up

Lee F

Extreme
Website
northernwarrentrailblazers.snowclubs.com
I have an 04 Warrior with under 100 miles. It starts right up with the choke on full, and after 20 or 30 seconds starts to drop rpms until it stalls. If I move the choke to 1/2 position it doesn't start to do this for about two minutes. I have tried to gradually reduce the choke earlier but it stalls immediately. It will only restart if I put the choke back on 1/2. As soon as it starts I have to use the throttle to raise the RPM and turn the choke off, or it just drops down and stalls again. No matter what else I try, or where I position the choke, it will not idle. This happens when the temp. is 35 degrees as well as near zero.

By the way the sled idles and runs great once it has warmed up.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I will be taking it back to the dealer later this week, and I'd like to have some idea what the cause might be before I talk to him.

My '03 shorty used to do that. I turned the idle up to about 1500. Took care of the stalling, starting hard when warm unless the throttle was held slightly and the gearbox rattle :D

Today was the first time I was able to get out and ride, about 30 miles was all but had similar problems. But my 03 shorty will not iddle at all without the choke about 3/4 pulled. I just purchased the sled used with about 950 miles on it. It came with all the service records,done to it by a very good shop. They did the summerization on it. Will the fog oil that they used cause this problem, and how easy is it to fix.

my 03 did the same thing, I had to clean the carbs really good....to get it ti run like it suppose to...

Hey MrSled, had the chance to talk to you at the Novi show. Thanks for the reply. Quick question is it a major undertakeing to do. Im heading to the UP on Tuesday and would like it to run the way it should.

RX-1MAN

You mention gearbox rattle. Have you upgraded your primary? There is an upgrade which is done under warranty to take care of the rattle in the primary. The upgrade consists of three thin steel bushings. It's installed between the gliders and the three towers in the stationary sheave to take out some clearance between the stationary sheave and the spider. Check the servicebulltins at your dealer. I had this done to my primary and all rattle is gone, I can't hear any rattle from the gear either. :D .

RXRIDER, dealer didn't mention any primary bulletin. The noise I was hearing was from the gearbox. They changed the gears in the 04 to eliminate the rattle. I'll ask my dealer about the primary. Thanks :D

This shim for the primary is not a warranty issue nor is it an update. Parts are coming from a '94 VMAX 500, partno. 8BW-17654-20-00. It made my primary much quiter.

The gear reduction still makes noise at idle on the 04 although it is reduced. If you raise your idle rpm to about 1400 it will help.

Back