• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question for Rage/Vector owners???

Heritage

Expert
I am thinking about buying a vector next fall..probably used...however I do ride alot off trail in the U.P....I was wondering if I should look at a rage.....the rear skid really sours me though....I currently ride a 2002 1/2 mxz with an sc 10 -3...and it rides very well...I had an 02 Viper, loved the motor and the handling of that sled...but it rode like a buck board wagon..terrible ride...my back would be in serious pain after along weekend...I know that there are lots of fixes for that skid...but just the name pro action makes me cringe...I was told the vector has a great ride...but would prefer the longer track of the rage...Any help would be appreciated, as I have not been able to ride one..all my buddies have rx-1s...they told me the vector is S-L-O-W....I guess what I am asking you guys is how does it compare to my 700 doo...is the ride compareable???, how does it handle???.....and is it faster or slower than my ski-doo.???
My doo rides great, but my viper was better at cornering, and was faster on top....Is the vector faster than the viper???....Any help would be appreciated....either way I am coming back to blue...just can't afford the new stuff.

I have the Vector and Im going to but on a 136 extension next year. I talked with Hartman and the have the extension kit with the 136 fully clipped rip-saw all for $700.

The Vector is NOT slow. Mine can nearly keep up with the RX sleds.
If you want the most comfortable bump eating suspension.......
get the monoshock. Either 05 RX1 or any of the 06 except the Nytro.
That said, the 05 vector is an improvement over the pro action to be sure.

i went from the mxz700 adrenilin 2002 to a vector er and dont miss it a bit

it rides better and handles better, it is a touch heavier moving aroud the garage but feels lighter than the mxz on the trail.

my vector is still not broke in from a dead stop it doesnt quite have the snap of the 700 as power is more linear but at a fast trail speed it feels like it has gobs of power and more responsive in the tighter woods sections.

the rear skid of vector is very simaler to the mxz and seems to work fine for me in the rough stuff and im a big guy
I have not raced my buddies mxz800 yet but no problem keeping up on trail

I love the 4 stroke motor for relliability, fuel and oil savings,quiet and no chainsaw smell on your cloaths :4STroke:

cool guys thanx , for the replys.....I would love to have a yami again, and am glad to hear the new ones ride nice....hate to give up the ride of my doo...but the 8-10 MPG, and two stroke oil and smoke have got to go..had enough of that...also am tired of wrenchin on it...IMO..ski-doo is no where near the quality of a yami (I have owned 3 doo's and 4 yami's since 1996)...no comparison...I'll take riding over wrenchin anyday....If the Vector is a better ride and equal to or faster than my viper was...I will buy one.

BTW....I really don't need the top end speed or extra weight of the Rx-1...though..there are sooo many used ones out there for cheap...i may have to go that direction....just hate that back breakin pro action rear...I suppose if I got one cheap enough I could definately add an expert x...IMO ski-doo is missing the boat in a big way by not dropping a 4 stroke in their mach z chassis...it will be there loss....so far after seeing 3 of 4 sled makers' 06's I think Yamaha is gonna make huge leaps in market share....and thats good for guys like me who can't afford a new apex...cause there will be lots of rx-1's and vectors out there(from all you TY guys upgrading to apex's)..for converts to go blue..I think you are gonna see lots of people like me (trail veterans/high mileage riders)..swapping brands next year to yamaha.

No one has mentioned anything about the RAGE yet. I have one and I love it. The proaction isn't bad at all when coupled to the longer skid. My Best friend rides an 04' RX-1 with an M-10 with OHLINS and he says that he thinks my Rage handles as good as and feels better than his RX-1.As far as power goes the Genesis 120 has tons of it. The low and mid range torque is unbelievable. My 00' 700SXR may have had a little more top end but the Rage gets to 80 faster. Thats what I'm into now. t's not often that I'm gonna want to be going 100+. I did have the Rage up to 110 but that was once in 2000 miles. I did notice that when I'm going less than 70 that in the time it takes my thumb to hit the bars I am already going 10MPH faster. I guess my point is not to count out the Rage!

I have a 2002 MXZ 700 and an 05 Rage.
They are 2 totally different sleds. They have similar ride comfort but that's about it. The MXZ 700 has a much higher top end and rides much better in powder and when boondocking. The Rage has the flotation of a boat anchor in deep snow and is very hard to handle. The Rage does have a great hole-shot, is very quiet and has a nice sitting position. It is a good cruising sled. The MXZ is much better when off trail.

I have a 200 mxz 700, a 2001 SX-r 700 and a Rage. Once broken in, the Rage is a good match for those other sleds on top end and will kill them out of the hole. It is very responsive and great for boondocking, jumping, and hill climbing. Only downside is a bit of extra weight.

Rage versus Vector

I have an 05 Vector and an 05 Rage. I am new to snowmobiling,
so take that into account.

The Vector has studs and the Rage does not.
With ungroomed or rough trails, I can blast through the bumps
without standing up or slowing down. With the Vector, you really
do take more of a beating. It occured to me that most people
ride 121" tracks and the bumps are made at that natural frequency.
With the 136" track, it is just long enough that you are partially
spanning the peaks. This makes a huge difference in smoothness.
I too have a bad back and the Rage gives a great ride compared to
the Vector.
That said, the Vector turns easier than the Rage in the twisties.
The back end on the Vector fish tails easier, which is also fun.

It's really about what you are into. Each has its own compromises.

I have a Rage and went riding with really bumpy stutter bump conditions and my Rage ate the bumps up the faster I went the better it felt and everyone was complaining about the trails and I thought they were GREAT! There backs were soar and they couldn't keep up at ALL...I couldn't get enough it was great in deep snow and handled GREAT! blows away ever 700 ski-doo out of the hole AND top end ! I used to have a mxz 670 and my Rage has more top end than it did for sure! ;)! The extra 30 pounds is worth it to me and you do get used to handling it..I can fly over 2-4 ft nasty bumps one after another thru a rutted up power line at high speed(50-70mph) and definately catch lots of air...its very managable once you get used to the longer skid...but where its really great is in the 1-2ft bumps where there is one after another for..... miles! (stutter bumps) Just eats em up 80-85 mph is no problem and other sleds with 121 cant seem to keep up at all..just my two cents..I just love my Rage on the Rampage! :D :flag: I'll never be without a 136" a definate advantage for cross country guys. Also I do suggest turning your handle bars up so there more forward and throttle and brake lever so they are level position so you can get a more stand up ride and out of your lap if you ride hard this makes a HUGE difference in handling. :4STroke: :yam:

:yam: My husband bought an 05 Rage and he loves it,I'm getting the 06 this fall,eats up the bumps awesome.I have an 02 SXR 600 and my husband had an 2000 SXR 700,but the short tracks are hard on the back.The longer track is the way to go,and great HP.If you want more HP just supercharge it. :4STroke:

Attachments

• sleds,camp,plane.jpg
    sleds,camp,plane.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 88
Rage2005Yamaha said:
I have a Rage and went riding with really bumpy stutter bump conditions and my Rage ate the bumps up the faster I went the better it felt and everyone was complaining about the trails and I thought they were GREAT! There backs were soar and they couldn't keep up at ALL...I couldn't get enough it was great in deep snow and handled GREAT! blows away ever 700 ski-doo out of the hole AND top end ! I used to have a mxz 670 and my Rage has more top end than it did for sure! ;)! The extra 30 pounds is worth it to me and you do get used to handling it..I can fly over 2-4 ft nasty bumps one after another thru a rutted up power line at high speed(50-70mph) and definately catch lots of air...its very managable once you get used to the longer skid...but where its really great is in the 1-2ft bumps where there is one after another for..... miles! (stutter bumps) Just eats em up 80-85 mph is no problem and other sleds with 121 cant seem to keep up at all..just my two cents..I just love my Rage on the Rampage! :D :flag: I'll never be without a 136" a definate advantage for cross country guys. Also I do suggest turning your handle bars up so there more forward and throttle and brake lever so they are level position so you can get a more stand up ride and out of your lap if you ride hard this makes a HUGE difference in handling. :4STroke: :yam:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said!

Vector or Rage ?

Being a newbie to the sport you can take this with a grain of salt. You say that you do a lot of off trail riding. In my opinion there should be one option. Get the Rage. :4STroke: I have had my RAGE IN 2+ feet of powder and she keeps pulling. One upgrade to consider would be swapping the stock skiis for the 05 mtn. skis . My dealer would have done this on an even swap. Ialso added a 1.5 track rather than the 1.25 and believe it helps tremendously in the soft stuff. I now have 560 miles on the Rage and love it. Ido not think you would be wrong chosing this sled.YOU SHOULD ALSO BE ABLE TO FIND GREAT DEALS ON 05 SLEDS THIS TIME OF YEAR.

Re: Vector or Rage ?

Ragen Yooper said:
Being a newbie to the sport you can take this with a grain of salt. You say that you do a lot of off trail riding. In my opinion there should be one option. Get the Rage. :4STroke: I have had my RAGE IN 2+ feet of powder and she keeps pulling. One upgrade to consider would be swapping the stock skiis for the 05 mtn. skis . My dealer would have done this on an even swap. Ialso added a 1.5 track rather than the 1.25 and believe it helps tremendously in the soft stuff. I now have 560 miles on the Rage and love it. Ido not think you would be wrong chosing this sled.YOU SHOULD ALSO BE ABLE TO FIND GREAT DEALS ON 05 SLEDS THIS TIME OF YEAR.
what track did you go with another Comoplast 1-1/2"? How is it on hardpack groomed trails in the turns?

Back