• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick Question, Removed Studs

mainecabin

Website
www.mainecabin.com
Just purchased a '06 Rage, 900 miles, 108 studs. I removed all of the studs without any problems. What is the life expectincy of a track with 108 holes drilled in it? I ride groomed trails, 40 - 50 MPH. 1000 miles a year.

Studs are in great shape, how much can I sell them for?
Thanks, Mike

nitrojb said:
If you ride trails most of the time why take them out

I would have keep them to but some don't like it. For selling them maybe 25 bucks, used stud you know. Or if you want we a have a thing on here, you put them up for free someone who wants them pays for the shipping. Here is the link> http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=75642

nitrojb said:
If you ride trails most of the time why take them out

I took mine out too. I like to be able to slide around like a dirt bike, not feel glued to the trail like a street bike. Even without studs, there's more side bite than I like. It's more fun to ride when you can hang the tail out and dirt track the corners when you want. I was thinking of going back to a 1" track when mine wears out.

I put 96 studs on my 05 Vector during the 06 season because I found the sled extremely very hard to manage. Also put on Studboy dual runners 6". I got sick of sliding down backwards on icy hill trails which scared the hell out of me. The sled handles beautifully and in the direction I wanted it to go.

The stud debate will go on forever!

As far as the live expectancy of a track with stud holes?
The holes shouldnt cause any issues. Unless there is damage already(ripping??) at one of the holes. If so, I would use the smallest hole saw you can, that will remove the damaged area. You will want to run the drill in reverse when using a holesaw(preferably a metal cutting holesaw)

Mainecabin - it really kind of depends on how the studs were installed - more specifically how the track penetrations were made and if any of the installed studs got ripped or torn out during use.

Other than that you now just have a "ported" track LOL custom!! ;)!

I sold a used set of about 135 Woody's Signature Series studs, nuts, and big round aluminum backers for either $75 shipped or $75 + shipping (don't remember for sure). They were in pretty good shape. Considering what these things cost new, I think it was a good deal for both of us.

I have a 700 sx that I took the studs out of because I use it as a street cruzzer when we get enough snow. I dont know the axact milage but pretty sure I have put around 1500 miles on without any problems and I run the S*@T out of it.

Back