• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rage - easiest way to replace glides?

PA_sledder

Do I need to pull out the whole suspension on my 05 Rage to replace the track glides, or can I pull them through the track windows ?
It looks like the suspension will take a lot of time to remove.
What is the easiest way to replace them.
[/b]

First I spray the inside and outside of the rails with WD-40 and loosen up the track. Then I have someone hold the sled while it is tipped on its side and take out the 2 screws that are at the front of the slides. While it's still tilted I use a hammer and a blunt end screwdriver to tap the one slide out through the open window at the rear of the track about a 1/2". I then tilt the sled on the other side and tap the other slide out the open widow again about a 1/2". At this point I place a jack under the rear grab bar and lift the sled up until the track is off the ground about an inch., start the sled, put the sled in reverse and give it just a little gas and the slides will peel right off.

If you can get the back end in the air enough this method is quick and easy. 15-20 minutes.

Get a slide started through the bottom window than take a bar and rotate the track forward from the front. Works well iff you got a skinny enough bar to use the front shaft as your brace for the bar.

Make sure you use a good amount of lube on the rails and new slides when installing.

At this point I place a jack under the rear grab bar and lift the sled up until the track is off the ground about an inch., start the sled, put the sled in reverse and give it just a little gas and the slides will peel right off.[/quote]

This is very interesting but I don't understand how this works. When in reverse, do the slides fold over as the track rotates? So the top part of the window of the track grabs the slide and bends the slide slideing off of the rail? I just can't picture in my head how this works.

When the sled is in reverse the top to the open window catches the top of the slide. Then as the track rotates towards the front of the sled it peels the slide (track forces it self between the rail and slide) off the rail in a downward motion and lays the slide on the ground. The slide doesn't fold over. The slide lays flat as the track puts downward pressure and removes the slide from the rail.

I learned this method here on this site. I had no experience in slide removal at all. I've changed 8 slides in the past month on 4 different sleds with ease. :rocks:

So I guess this is done with the track tension loosened off? If so the drivers don't skip on the track when you're doing this? This isn't hard on the drive belt?

I'm going to have to try this when I replace my slides this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Have any of you tried the slides with graphite? Do they last longer?

rik said:
So I guess this is done with the track tension loosened off? If so the drivers don't skip on the track when you're doing this? This isn't hard on the drive belt?

I'm going to have to try this when I replace my slides this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Have any of you tried the slides with graphite? Do they last longer?

Yes, no and no. Just give it a little bit of gas because it doesn't take much.

rik said:
Excellent! Thanks! How loose do you run your track?

My track is off the ground and I have 1" of space between the bottom of the slide and the top of the track in the center. I do this with no pressure or weight on the track. I've been running 300 miles the last 2 days here in Jackson, Wy. and the slides seems to be in great shape and no ratcheting on both the Apex and the RS Venture.. I'm thinking about making it a bit more loose. I'll let you know my outcome.

Back