• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ratcheting...

atomicuni

I've been having ratcheting(at least i think it's ratcheting) problems with my rage. The only time it's ever happened was pulling hole shots on hard pack. But today, i was out in some powder, and it ratcheted. I let off the gas, and when i went to get back on, it wouldn't go. It just sat and made a nasty grinding sound. I finally got it to move when my buddy lifted up the back end to free up the track. It grinded at first, then freed up. After that it was perfectly fine and rode like normal...although i made sure not to hit it too hard. Does anyone know what this was? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Jordan

atomicuni said:
I've been having ratcheting(at least i think it's ratcheting) problems with my rage. The only time it's ever happened was pulling hole shots on hard pack. But today, i was out in some powder, and it ratcheted. I let off the gas, and when i went to get back on, it wouldn't go. It just sat and made a nasty grinding sound. I finally got it to move when my buddy lifted up the back end to free up the track. It grinded at first, then freed up. After that it was perfectly fine and rode like normal...although i made sure not to hit it too hard. Does anyone know what this was? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Jordan

Track too loose?

No, it's not loose at all. I haven't measured to know exactly, but i know it's not loose. I looked at the drive gears when it wouldn't move, and it looked like they were barely touching the drive bumb things. I could understand how that would cause it to not move, but i'm not sure plastic on rubber would make that sound.

Jordan

atomicuni said:
No, it's not loose at all. I haven't measured to know exactly, but i know it's not loose. I looked at the drive gears when it wouldn't move, and it looked like they were barely touching the drive bumb things. I could understand how that would cause it to not move, but i'm not sure plastic on rubber would make that sound.

Jordan
Well, the two reasons I can think of that that might happen would be track too loose, or failure of the chaincase sprocket. A track racheting is more of a deep rapid thumping sound. A higher-pitched grinding sound that left me not moving without a push would send me back to the workshop to look at the chaincase chain tension, and very likely a look at the insides of the chaincase itself - at least look closely at the chaincase oil for metal shavings.

My son had a chaincase sprocket failure few years ago on a 2 year-old SX-R 600 - exact same symptoms as you describe. It was clearly due to him not paying attention to keeping the chain tension adjusted, but the dealer and Yamaha covered it under warranty. If that's your problem, the blame falls on your dealer and his pre-delivery setup of your 05 Rage.

Sure sounds like a loose track to me..my buddies 05 warrior was doing same thing spin and hit ground or something hard and it catches and then rachets.. mine did it too when new track loosens quick! keep adjusting that track up to about 1,100 miles on mine adusted it at around 500 then again at 1,100 his didn't look real loose but theres alot of torqe and power behind that spinning track! 22pounds pressure to bottom of track with an 1 and 1/2 inch deflection.. I'm sure all is well just loose

Sorry, i mistook what you meant by "too loose". I figured it must have been running too loose, but it didn't *look* loose. I'm going to be taking it to the dealer asap and let them play with it. I'm almost positive it isn't just the track...as plastic on rubber does not sound like a chain slipping. Thanks for all the help guys.

Jordan

well just be carefull cause the dealer will cahrge you if it turns out to be a non warrantee item..adjustments are not.. How many miles on your sled now? I would also check the chain tension... And you can be in loose powder (and rachet) I did it and when back a dug around to see what I racheted on and there was a small stump under me but couldn't see it till I dug around and found it..also my track was alittle loose. The binding could have been the cog sprocket bound up on the inside of the track.. And that hard plastic on the metal clips can sound loud.. I would get out the manual and it shows exactelt how to adjust tension on your track..I bought a $7.00 fish scale lifted up back of sled and pulled downward 22lbs 1-1/2 deflection...I'm just telling you do some checking yourself so the dealer cant charge you like he did my buddy $256.00 on his new Rage only to find out it was water in the gas! :shock: :shock: :o| :o| He thought it was a warrantee issue too.

There's 950 miles on it now. The dealer said they adjusted the track when i brought it in at 500, but it still ratcheted the day i got it back. I know it probably did stretch more. I'll check the tension myself before i go to the dealer i s'pose.
Besides my ratchet problem, THIS SLED ROCKS!!! I hit 112 on dream-o-meter just the other day, then i ran out of room. I was well pleased. Most of the stuff other people complain about i don't have, save the ratcheting. I don't have the inside ski lift, and my clutch rattle is very faint. All in all, very narly. Anyways, thanks again for the help, you guys rock.

Jordan

Rage2005Yamaha said:
well just be carefull cause the dealer will cahrge you if it turns out to be a non warrantee item..adjustments are not.. How many miles on your sled now? I would also check the chain tension... And you can be in loose powder (and rachet) I did it and when back a dug around to see what I racheted on and there was a small stump under me but couldn't see it till I dug around and found it..also my track was alittle loose. The binding could have been the cog sprocket bound up on the inside of the track.. And that hard plastic on the metal clips can sound loud.. I would get out the manual and it shows exactelt how to adjust tension on your track..I bought a $7.00 fish scale lifted up back of sled and pulled downward 22lbs 1-1/2 deflection...I'm just telling you do some checking yourself so the dealer cant charge you like he did my buddy $256.00 on his new Rage only to find out it was water in the gas! :shock: :shock: :o| :o| He thought it was a warrantee issue too.

I buy a lot of stuff from my Yamaha / Polaris / SkiDoo / Kawasaki / Honda / Suzuki dealer. If I took a new sled in that wasn't running right, even if it was only my imagination, it wouldn't even enter his mind to charge me anything for labor. And if he did, I'd never be back. And he knows it.

Your buddy's dealer sucks. I wouldn't buy a pair of warm socks from a dealer like that.

Atomic, have them check the reverse mecanism. i had the same problem you describe on my viper er. My mechanic guru said if something is just a little out of adjustment in there it will sometimes pop out of gear.

i was jumping mine when it happened. i landed and heard this awful grinding noise. sled wouldnt move for a while. i had to play with the reverse selector for a while .had to push it a little also to get the syncros to engage then it was fine the rest of the trip.

Back