• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ready to jump ship

snocrazy

Veteran
I am just about ready to give up on the Nytro. Its my first year with it, I have done around 200km now in various conditions. First ride it was so TIPPY I couldn't even manage a small corner. I had to turn back (slowly). At home I made some changes and am now very confident in turning. Not tippy, its smooth and will rail nicely (still a bit twitchy) The issue is now, at every bump she tries to buck me off. I am not a big guy, 150 +gear. I cannot believe how tired I am after just a 10 min ride!!?? I have never been this exhausted from a sled..I am coming off an 01 vmax600.

Sled is an 08 RTX 7300km.
Stock skis with deuce bars.
50psi up front
front limiter sucked up one, rear in stock hole
front spring with not much threads showing.
torsion springs on soft

I have read lots in the FAQ and other threads. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I would like to avoid spending $$$ if possible. I REALLY love the motor, but I can't handle a sled that I cant ride high mile days like I am used to. Sorry for the long post thank you in advance.

as far as turning, try & suck the front limiter strap more so you get more bite. mess with the front shock psi & sway bay adjustments.(not sure)

otherwise maybe new skis.

as for the rear susp, try messing with the shock adjustments, if not maybe a revalve for your riding style.

honestly. im 6'3 and no more than 170pds with gear. i have slydog skis and im very confisent with them. go and sink a little money on sly dog powder hound skis. on and off trail they are amazing

Suggestions of new ski's, upper ball joint mod and shock re-valve. If you are looking for the best bang for your buck.... re-valve the shocks! The rear shock sounds like it maybe blown if your are getting mule-kicked while riding.

I'm coming off a viper going to an 09 rtx se, about the same 160 plus gear. I'm only 5'6'' as well.

Haven't had seat time on the nytro but what is it that makes you tired after 10 minutes? Is the steering stiff? Or is it just a lot more rider input then you're used to?
I don't know about the nytro but I haven't owned a sled yet where i had deuce bars and didn't throw them in the trash after the first week of using them.

I don't think the 08 rtx floats had compression/ rebound adjustments so you might be spending some money there.

In the rear

A slow or stiff compression rate will resist the shock from compressing
A fast or soft compression will allow the shock to be easily compressed
There is a fine line here in any shock, basically you want to go as close to the soft side of compression you can without bottoming frequently. Being that the rtx is stiff to begin with and were both not as heavy as most, you can run pretty soft compression settings. The springs will set your ride height so don't worry about shocks causing "sag"

A slow or stiff rebound rate will resist the shock from rebounding or "extending"
A fast or soft rebound will be the opposite (shock can be extended easily)

If you have it set up stiff on the rebound side, this will slow down the rate at which the suspension unloads its sprung weight. Basically if its slow it won't want to "buck you off". However, you don't want to go too stiff or you will have problems with bottoming when you get into studder bumps.

P.S. Where in southern ontario were you able to put on 200 km already? Jealous!

SRXSRULE2 said:
I'm coming off a viper going to an 09 rtx se, about the same 160 plus gear. I'm only 5'6'' as well.

Haven't had seat time on the nytro but what is it that makes you tired after 10 minutes? Is the steering stiff? Or is it just a lot more rider input then you're used to?
I don't know about the nytro but I haven't owned a sled yet where i had deuce bars and didn't throw them in the trash after the first week of using them.

Mostly tired from rider input and getting shot around from the back end. How would I confirm the rear shock is blown? I have actually used the deuce bars on all my previous sleds. I am willing to try new skis if it will help!!

Well for 1 I think you got the wrong sled for what you want to do...its not the sled......2 put some more pressure in the front shocks 50 psi is to low try 75 psi....I run 95 psi with out a swaybar

09nytro said:
Well for 1 I think you got the wrong sled for what you want to do...its not the sled......2 put some more pressure in the front shocks 50 psi is to low try 75 psi....I run 95 psi with out a swaybar
I had the shocks at 75, then lowered them to 50 which I feel made it less "tippy." Is this possible? Or am I over-thinking?

SRXSRULE2 said:
Its hard to determine if the shock is "blown" when its in the sled. Basically the only real way to tell is a shock dyno to see where its at.

As I said I don't have much time on this thing. Have you read any of the suspension stuff here? http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=58910
I have read almost everything in the FAQ. I am looking for some direction based on my situation without trying 15 different set ups. I am no mechanic, but very able to learn and do. I love the site, and I have done things on the sled I would normally only take to the dealer. :rocks: Hope I can get it set up, I am not ready to quit quite yet...and I don't have the $$$ money to trade her out just yet

SRXSRULE2 said:

I don't think the 08 rtx floats had compression/ rebound adjustments so you might be spending some money there.

In the rear

A slow or stiff compression rate will resist the shock from compressing
A fast or soft compression will allow the shock to be easily compressed
There is a fine line here in any shock, basically you want to go as close to the soft side of compression you can without bottoming frequently. Being that the rtx is stiff to begin with and were both not as heavy as most, you can run pretty soft compression settings. The springs will set your ride height so don't worry about shocks causing "sag"

A slow or stiff rebound rate will resist the shock from rebounding or "extending"
A fast or soft rebound will be the opposite (shock can be extended easily)

If you have it set up stiff on the rebound side, this will slow down the rate at which the suspension unloads its sprung weight. Basically if its slow it won't want to "buck you off". However, you don't want to go too stiff or you will have problems with bottoming when you get into studder bumps.

P.S. Where in southern ontario were you able to put on 200 km already? Jealous!

I will admit I am still a bit confused how the suspension in the rear works. I will be trying some more adjustments on the rear and see where that takes me.

I have been riding rail line from Bethany to Lindsay, then Long Sault area to the ganny, today going in circles haha.

Snocrazy, by lowering your shock pressure you are not only lowering pre load but also ride height. So YES you're sled should feel less "tippy"

You can't go by everyone else's shock pressures, use them only as a guideline. The 09 nytro rtx se uses float X shocks as well, they are a totally different shock from which you have(regular float). If you feel 50 psi works, don't adjust too far from there. The pressure is basically your spring, it will effect compression and rebound but don't try to adjust it to do so. I'd leave the front for now, concentrate on the rear skid.

Small adjustments are key in every sled, or vehicle for that matter. Don't go from one extreme to the other or you won't find the sweet spot.

You have your springs on soft already so keep them there. Do you feel the sled is bottoming out and using all of its travel? Or is the suspension barely using any of its travel? Do you feel the bucking when you hit the bump (suspension compressing) or after (rebound)?

I figure (imho) that it would be much easier to tune your machine in than you to tune into a machine?

SRXSRULE2 said:
Snocrazy, by lowering your shock pressure you are not only lowering pre load but also ride height. So YES you're sled should feel less "tippy"

You can't go by everyone else's shock pressures, use them only as a guideline. The 09 nytro rtx se uses float X shocks as well, they are a totally different shock from which you have(regular float). If you feel 50 psi works, don't adjust too far from there. The pressure is basically your spring, it will effect compression and rebound but don't try to adjust it to do so. I'd leave the front for now, concentrate on the rear skid.

Small adjustments are key in every sled, or vehicle for that matter. Don't go from one extreme to the other or you won't find the sweet spot.

You have your springs on soft already so keep them there. Do you feel the sled is bottoming out and using all of its travel? Or is the suspension barely using any of its travel? Do you feel the bucking when you hit the bump (suspension compressing) or after (rebound)?

It did bottom out over 2 really big whoops today.. Going over some smaller bumps it did buck when I hit the bump. It feels like the rear is very soft.. There is tonnes of compression in the skid when I jump on, and as soon as i hit a bump, it compresses and tries to knock me off. Would adjusting the rebound help?

Try a revalve possibly and some new suspension, even X-Klicks makes a diff. Your only limitation is your piggybank on these!

Back