• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ready to jump ship

To share my experience, the handling on the front end of the nytro was scary when I first got it. I too was fatigued riding in tight trails. The push in the corners was brutal, so the amount of rider input needed made for a long day.

Don't have much good to say about duallys after having tried them. You definitely want a different ski. I run split rails now and haven't looked back. Steering effort is half, tight trails can easily be run standing up. Very little push in corners, the sled can actually be driven scary agressive if you want.

At a minimum, put some Kind of twinn keel ski on it. Tuner, pilot, arrow, etc

Good luck
Ms

snocrazy said:
It does move up and down with some resistance... what kind of resistance am I looking for? It does take some force. I don't think it has been bottoming out. Only 2 times over huge ruts. I am assuming if I can adjust the rear this will be under control?
I agree, the handling does suck on the 08. I have managed to get the darting under control, and am relatively happy with cornering now.

You are just looking to feel and see if the rear end bounces up and down like a super ball. If the shock is blown there won't be any resistance except for the spring. Basically you will feel resistance pushing down but when you quit pushing down, the rear of the sled will pop right back up and do so very quickly if the shock is blown. Doesn't sound to me like it is blown. You'll also want to look at the shocks and check to see if you see oil leaking out. If you do, that will cause them to ride poorly.

Stock damping in the rear shocks is pretty soft. It should bottom out once in a while. I forget off the top of my head if the stock rear shock has compression damping or rebound damping adjustment? I think they were compression adjustable.

I attempted to adjust the rebound on the front center shock. The clicker adjustment would only turn ccw hearing clicks. As soon as I attempteded to turn it cw it will turn but no clicking? What am I doing wrong? I ended up taking it for a ride again..Definitely trying to buck me on the rebound. That sled kicked my TAIL again!! Parts of the trail had tonnes of huge bumps, one after the other. I am guessing I should adjust rebound on rear spring now? How much thread should I have showing on the center spring?

It sounds like you are having the same problems I had with my '08 RTX. The comp. amd rebound adjusters get bunged up and stop working. When you adjust them you are moving a tapered needle in or out of an orrifice to allow more or less oil movement through the valve. The harsh environment that these babies are subjected to and the fact that they don't get used much leads to problems. I took my sled to John at Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn and he fixed them up. This guy is a shock guru and I learned more in one hour talking to him than I had in my lifetime before! Once you get these things unseized it's a good idea to move them through their range every once in a while to keep them free. My center shock had split wide open I guess from a blown seal so get them worked on sooner than later! Those shocks are 5 years old and get pounded, frozen, thawed in any order so they need attention too. Good luck!

kurzy said:
It sounds like you are having the same problems I had with my '08 RTX. The comp. amd rebound adjusters get bunged up and stop working. When you adjust them you are moving a tapered needle in or out of an orrifice to allow more or less oil movement through the valve. The harsh environment that these babies are subjected to and the fact that they don't get used much leads to problems. I took my sled to John at Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn and he fixed them up. This guy is a shock guru and I learned more in one hour talking to him than I had in my lifetime before! Once you get these things unseized it's a good idea to move them through their range every once in a while to keep them free. My center shock had split wide open I guess from a blown seal so get them worked on sooner than later! Those shocks are 5 years old and get pounded, frozen, thawed in any order so they need attention too. Good luck!

Looks like I have the same issues.. I will have to get the shocks rebuilt. Any suggestions on where to take them? I am just north of Toronto, and would like to deal with someone that is willing to explain how everything works and help me with my setup.

I will also be picking up a new set of skis. I am thinking the new tuners. What carbide set up?? Thank you everyone for all your help! Can't wait to get this fixed up and get out there!!!

kurzy said:

Just google "Accelerated Technologies" and you'll find his contact info.

I installed the star suspension kit on my xtx and had them revalve/rebuild my shocks, Robert did an awesome job and was super quick with very reasonable shipping cost!

You may also want to consider a steering relocate kit. Ask and get other riders opinions on their steering effort after installing a relocate kit. Be sure to use the search function on this site as well. There are a lot of posts on this topic here on TY. Maybe you can even get a short ride on a sled that has a steering relocate kit. Recently, I rode a nytro that had the Grizztracks steering relocate kit installed and it was much easier to steer. I was convinced to get this kit installed on my '09 nytro.

snocrazy, You should talk to John at Accelerated Technologies. He will work with you and explain how the shocks work and how to set up the sled. He has an area to ride and he set mine up for me and I haven't hardly touched the adjustments since. That is one of the problems with these shocks, once you get them working the way you want, you forget about them and the adjustments bung up. If you are north of Toronto then you can't be more than 1.5 hours from Buckhorn and he is THE #*$&@!

kurzy said:
snocrazy, You should talk to John at Accelerated Technologies. He will work with you and explain how the shocks work and how to set up the sled. He has an area to ride and he set mine up for me and I haven't hardly touched the adjustments since. That is one of the problems with these shocks, once you get them working the way you want, you forget about them and the adjustments bung up. If you are north of Toronto then you can't be more than 1.5 hours from Buckhorn and he is THE poop!

Thanks Kurzy I will be contacting him tomorrow. I am in the Buckhorn area very often. I can't wait to finally enjoy the ride!! Thanks everyone for your help and baring with me. I have very little experience, and I am grateful for all help on this site. I have found tonnes of great info in the "early" pages of Nytro general talk and the FAQ. :rocks:

Update: Rear center shock was completely out of oil, seals were all rusted up, piston was scored. Rear shock had very dirty oil. Everything has fresh oil and seals and is good to go. Fox floats were also serviced. I picked up the tuner skis with 6 in 2 out set up. I took the sled out for a ride on the weekend to some rough trails to test the fixed up suspension and new skis. HOLY COW!! I love the skis!! (other than darting???!!!)..maybe shimming will help? I am STILL getting kicked around over the bumps. I have not made any adjustments since the repairs.. I am hoping I can finally get this tuned in... 30+mm of rain and double digit temps this week will wipe out the trails! :o|

Grimm said:
If I remember correctly, the 2008 Nytro torsion springs are too heavy duty...Yammy softened them the following years. I had a Nytro for 4 seasons and I never was able to get rid of the harsh rebound kick. It is not a long touring type sled, but a rough trail ditch banger.

A couple of other adjustments you could try to make it feel softer is to max out the weight transfer. For steering tippiness and crisper handling, pull up one hole on the rear limiter straps(s) and relocate the swaybay on the lower A arms to the stiffer position, which is the most forward mount hole. It helped lighten the steering as well.

Again, this sled was never designed to be a high mileage, groomed trail touring sled.

Bingo....the 08 had way to much rear spring, (torsion) the following years have much less spring rate. The sled also has way way to much weight transfer due to beyond sad damping in the shock.....this makes it really tiring to ride and unstable.

the floats are the floats....:-(......... trade a fat guy your springs and get the rear shocks revalved and you'll be happy happy happy. ITS WORTH THE INVESTMENT.

bk

Well I will admit I am beyond frustrated with this sled now. I have tried everything I can think of to get this sled to handle properly. I put tuner skis on, the damn thing still darts. Skis are aligned and toed 1/4" etc... Sled still wont handle the big bumps at all. I have gone, soft, hard, in between, and nothing seems remotely close to what it should. I am at a lost I have NO CLUE what to do now. When I was out on the weekend I heard a "howl" or a droning noise between 30 and 100 km. Anyone know what that could be?? It was so annoying I had to pack it in it was so ANNOYING!! :o| It sounds like a commercial blender on warp speed!!

We finally have snow, and I cant even ride!! I really don't want to sell this sled, am I the only one with issues??

snocrazy said:
Well I will admit I am beyond frustrated with this sled now. I have tried everything I can think of to get this sled to handle properly. I put tuner skis on, the damn thing still darts. Skis are aligned and toed 1/4" etc... Sled still wont handle the big bumps at all. I have gone, soft, hard, in between, and nothing seems remotely close to what it should. I am at a lost I have NO CLUE what to do now. When I was out on the weekend I heard a "howl" or a droning noise between 30 and 100 km. Anyone know what that could be?? It was so annoying I had to pack it in it was so ANNOYING!! :o| It sounds like a commercial blender on warp speed!!

We finally have snow, and I cant even ride!! I really don't want to sell this sled, am I the only one with issues??
Did you change the rear spring and do the front end mod..and you many have to get the shocks revalved

Back