• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Recommended Fuel (octane)

MNBlizzard

Expert
Just wondering all of your thoughts on the fuel you run in your sleds? What about non-oxy? I have a stock RX-1 and am concerned with 87 octane that I had to pour in this weekend.

If you have a four stroke Yamaha you should only run 87 octane. More octane will make less power unless you have mod's with higher compression or turbo with higher boost. kviper

kviper said:
If you have a four stroke Yamaha you should only run 87 octane. More octane will make less power unless you have mod's with higher compression or turbo with higher boost. kviper
What he said.

They are absolutely designed to run on 87 octane. Anything else is a waste of both money and horsepower. (Higher octane gas burns slower and cooler).

i have read that higher octane is just a waste but this weekend i looked on the side of my nytro and it said 91 min. But i still run 87 but why would it say 91 min if it runs better with 87?

'250f,

The Phazer is a whole different animal. It DOES require 91 octane to put out full power. You can run lower but the detonation sensor will retard the timing and you'll get less power until gas quality improves.

I was told to run 87 octane.
The owners manual said 89 octane.
Definately do NOT run 93 or 94 octane!!
Dyno tests shows less HP on premium fuels!

mchimera said:
I have a '06 Apex and the manuel says Recommended fuel: 88 or higher.
We've already beat this animal to death in other threads. That's because the Japanese state their octane numbers in even numbers and the US uses odd numbers. Since the manuals are printed in Japan, the stated numbers say 88 octane but that is our 87 octane.

(My source for this is the fact I spent the last 20 yrs of my working career with a major Japanese motorcycle and auto manufacturer).

Looks like its written in English to me...lol. No really...I agree with ya buddah. I also think the manual should be corrected.

I have always run 87 octane in my sleds(including the Apex). My buddies are always dumping in at least 89 and usually 93 octane. I keep on telling them they are wasting their money and that the higher octane could be robbing them of some performance. They just dont listen.

Back