• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sled shuts off

max rolph

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
998 turbo
Need help Brothers, last night drained my tank COMPLETELY as i thought low octane gas as rpms were dwn and was not pulling ... so i assumed timing was getting pulled , soo i went and got 4 gallons of VP100 octane went out and sled was running great pulled really hard at 8800- 9040rpm and 11.7 afr and 18lbs boost... several pulls felt really good..... had fresh 6" of snow on the trail and roadhard packed and groomed under neath, went dwn this summer road which has a big hill at end, turned around at bottom and then headed back up hit at full throttle,,,, pulled HARD,,,ski's up all the way to top @ 200yrds and .... then sled just shut off and coasted to a stop.... wtf.... shut key off and restarted right up.... temps were right at 170 everything seamed fine.... took off again and took easy now.... got to T in trail slowed dwn and turned corner and it died again, fired it right back up and drove home. it idled fine at house at around 13.9-14 afr idling, seams to run fine. now i prob only had 2 gallons of fuel left.... could this be why, i took fuel pump out , it was a Quanton 340 , and i put in the Walbro 340 that i had brand new in box.... just in case. No codes at all and my log shows full throttle and all readings were good ... then zero throttle and afr 25 as it coasting to stop. i have the return line as well to basket.

Usually if its starving for fuel/ sloshing it will miss and or backfire slightly. like a stumble. Yours completely shut off?.. This is a complete loss of fuel and or pressure.. OR electrical issue of some kind? Hard on motor if you were full boost when it shut down, hope you have no motor damage.

When you say it died... Do you mean all electrical was still on and it just stopped running... Or electrical was off when you came to a stop?

First, use the flasher to check the fault codes.

You say you assume it was pulling timing, why not look at the logs to see if timing was getting pulled? Do you not log every time the key turns on? Am I the only one doing that? The logs will tell you what happened when it shut down. Lean condition, boost cut, engine missing, electrical failure, all can be diagnosed thru looking at the logs as to the running parameters at time of occurrence. Just go back and look.

sorry, the pulled timing was on the weekend when i had low octane gas in... i wasnt logging. i drained tank and put a can of 100 octane vp in last night and did some long pullss and it was running awesome, then did a few miles of trail and then went dwn this summer road and logged... was great up untill i climbed this steep hill on the road at full throttle... as i crested the top... the engine just shut dwn ... all lighyts were on and guages were still lit... it just coasted to a stop with basically the drive line turning engine till i coasted to a stop. pushed start button and it fired right back up.... drove another 2-3 miles and went to turn onto another trail and it died again. then fired up again and went home... ran loike nothing was wrong. soo i pulled pump just in case a wire came off and while in there i changed pump to a brand new Walbro from the Quantum that TD had put in, i also installed a new pig tail from Walbro instead of just the spade connectors just to be sure... but i only had about 2-3' of fuel in tank when i took pump out.... could it have shut off due to fuel? it acted just like killing the ignition ...it shut off but all electrical was still working... on log it show throttle position goes from 101% to zero and then afr is 25 , napp send me email add and ill send log

I run the Hurricane GAP flasher. We can't share logs from one to the other, it wont work to send TD stuff to me so thats out, but sounds like something in the ignition switch or kill switch just killed the ignition. Thats tough when there's no tell tale sign to say here's the issue. I'd start by checking all the switch plugins along with the tether and plug in if you have one. Sounds like electrical is not making connections at some place.

awe i do have tether... that could be it. it acted just like that as if i pulled tether off ... i just replaced the visor plug in which is right beside tether on that panel with the heated seat switch. might have dislogged the plug maybe on bak side.

Be sure there's no issue up front at the fuse block with rubbed or partially cut wires where main harness comes in. Sharp edge on bracket up there.

Make sure your battery connections are tight. Seen them come loose and cause issues like your mentioning.

dont know what it was ... but filled tank and made sure all connections to tether were tight, chked wires under fuse block and put clear 3m shield tape over wires to protect just in case, changed fuel pump from the Quantum to the Walbro ... just because i had one new in box, filed with 98 octane and went out and sled was running perfect 8950-9080. on my log ... even with the high octane fuel.... around 16-25% throttle several times there was little spikes of timing being pulled of -3-5'deg ... just instantly then back to zero... is this normal?

PS. on another note, Mike at TD sent me the new black/green spring that they have been testing for sec on the STM... and it wrks great!! better back shift and cooler belt.... coming from AC green snow pro spring.

dont know what it was ... but filled tank and made sure all connections to tether were tight, chked wires under fuse block and put clear 3m shield tape over wires to protect just in case, changed fuel pump from the Quantum to the Walbro ... just because i had one new in box, filed with 98 octane and went out and sled was running perfect 8950-9080. on my log ... even with the high octane fuel.... around 16-25% throttle several times there was little spikes of timing being pulled of -3-5'deg ... just instantly then back to zero... is this normal?

PS. on another note, Mike at TD sent me the new black/green spring that they have been testing for sec on the STM... and it wrks great!! better back shift and cooler belt.... coming from AC green snow pro spring.

Glad to here its back to working well. Still wonder the exact cause...

Those timing spikes like that are typically just noise if you are zooming in on that spot, but usually are no where near that high, at least what I've seen. 3-5 degrees is a lot for just a spike. How long do they last? Like a tenth of a second or less from zero to zero?

is that a dalton spring?

Glad to here its back to working well. Still wonder the exact cause...

Those timing spikes like that are typically just noise if you are zooming in on that spot, but usually are no where near that high, at least what I've seen. 3-5 degrees is a lot for just a spike. How long do they last? Like a tenth of a second or less from zero to zero?
yea 0-9-0 up dwn retard spike, i just got back from a run of 100klm and when im at a sharp dwn hill on trail sled stumbles as if out of gas guage shows 1/3 tank or less, i have the return .... its ok on level but sudden stops or turns causes a stumble.

Back