• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Regular maintenance question

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
So, as the season winds down, is there any reason to wait till fall to change fluids and regular maintenance? Or do you prefer to do it now?
The only thing I don't like is tensioning the track until I'm ready to ride. Too much stretching going on.

Service in the spring so contaminants in oil don't settle in engine. In case you need parts, you have all summer to wait in case they are backordered.

I usually leave the fuel tank dry upon storage, but this year I may fill it to take advantage of the savings. Currently gas is only $4.39 per gallon and they predict $8.00 by summer.

Go Brandon!!

Best to clean up good before storage, , clean clutches and do your inspection while you clean, make a maintenance list of anything that needs attention, get your parts and fluids and then do the work at your convenience.. I put a tender on the battery and treat the sled with a good finish on plastic, treat the seat material and I make sure everything gets grease .. I keep winter fuel 1/4 tank in sled and start it and run it every other month for a few minutes just to keep things in good working order .. When season rolls around I drain old gas and in goes new winter fuel right before I ride.. Always works for me and more importantly like it should….

I usually start my preseason maintenance in September, October the latest.
Time to rethink that strategy that I have been using for decades, whereas so much of what we need is imported, and we all know how that has been working since Covid!

And yes to shock rebuilds on both sleds for next season!

Service in the spring so contaminants in oil don't settle in engine. In case you need parts, you have all summer to wait in case they are backordered.

I usually leave the fuel tank dry upon storage, but this year I may fill it to take advantage of the savings. Currently gas is only $4.39 per gallon and they predict $8.00 by summer.

Go Brandon!!
Gas prices are a global thing, very little to do with current government. Can we ever not bring politics into our pleasure?

Yes as part of a Good Maintenance program shocks are often overlooked .. This also gives the sled owner opportunity to adjust the shock valuing to their preference ….
How often should the shocks be re-done? I have an '18 winder LTX-DX so have the basic gas shocks on mine still. Thinking about upgrading but after having to spend $11K on my house last summer, shocks aren't in my budget just yet... Don't put as many miles on her as some of you might but currently sitting at right around 3K.

AND in addition to shocks/suspension, any comments on storing the winder in the air on a sled lift??

How often should the shocks be re-done?
Steve (@cannondale27) can confirm this but generally you should have the shocks serviced every 2000-2500 miles as the internal shock oil begins to break down and/or the nitrogen level generally needs to be recharged.

Too early to start that stuff!
69519.jpeg

Back