• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Release Dates and Predictions for 2014

Well how bout a nytro motor stuffed in a new chassis. It has Arctic cat front suspension, front exhaust dump and will flip its ears up if you say the name Viper. Might come in a 190 hp version with boost.
Don't ask how I know. Refresh this page on release day and see how close I am.

Dan

newfie09xtx said:
Maybe 2014 announcement will lighten the mood around here. Totally different attitudes and moods then when I first joined this site.
the only thing that will lighten the mood is tons of snow everywhere so we can ride and not talk (type) about riding..... :rocks:

YamConvert said:
Schlorven said:

It just says they are going to be making their own engines, right? Couldn't they still utilize yammy's HPDI technology in an engine they make themselves?
Pretty sure no yamaha tech will make it into a cat and vice versa.From what that story says we won,t see a new design cat motor until the 2015 model year.Don,t think cat will have the reliabilty sorted out like polaris did 15 years ago building there own powerplants for sleds.Heres cats 2014 model............P.S i heard yamaha is making dough selling arctic cat emission credits ;)! .for the past 5 years.

Attachments

• e3f.jpg
    e3f.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 108
How many people knew that Yamaha was already supplying cat with engines for their small 120 sled?
Let me see what we have here so far,

-Cat doesn't have other engines to work with to just throw in a snowmachine and make HP and EPA.
-Yamaha has an engine that practically bolts in a new cat chassis.
-Yamaha has its own patent for DI 2-sroke
-there is a somewhat cat design Yamaha floating around with a Nytro type engine and front exhaust. (Viper)
-new yamie has the distinctive front cat suspension
-yamie might start building sleds in the US to cut cost
-yamie has sunk tons of money for the 2014 model year changes for its motor sports devision.
-Yamaha is an engine maker and a good one at that. Cat needs an engine maker and has found one.

I'm betting allot of what I just said is reality.

Dan

Dano said:
How many people knew that Yamaha was already supplying cat with engines for their small 120 sled?
Let me see what we have here so far,

-Cat doesn't have other engines to work with to just throw in a snowmachine and make HP and EPA.
-Yamaha has an engine that practically bolts in a new cat chassis.
-Yamaha has its own patent for DI 2-sroke
-there is a somewhat cat design Yamaha floating around with a Nytro type engine and front exhaust. (Viper)
-new yamie has the distinctive front cat suspension
-yamie might start building sleds in the US to cut cost
-yamie has sunk tons of money for the 2014 model year changes for its motor sports devision.
-Yamaha is an engine maker and a good one at that. Cat needs an engine maker and has found one.

I'm betting allot of what I just said is reality.

Dan

Is this speculation or where did you hear this at? :sled1:

There was a thread on HCS about a Yamaha running around with a Cat front end. Wonder why Yamaha wouldn't be race testing it in the USXC open class? The front end they are currently using appears to be working pretty good.

AKrider said:
There was a thread on HCS about a Yamaha running around with a Cat front end. Wonder why Yamaha wouldn't be race testing it in the USXC open class? The front end they are currently using appears to be working pretty good.
The current race front end has been around since the 2009 cross-country season(saw pics of the first gen back then).I think this is one of the logs added to the yami/cat fire,yamaha has a new front end that is lighter and works.In turn they figure yamaha doesn,t have the tech to develop any all new front end(remember,they think yamaha is inferior to the north american sled mafia).It kind of looks like a cat front end but thats like saying a YFZ450 front suspension is a direct copy of a TRX250R front end.Get the feeling this race front end is vapourware.A whole new radical chassis is what i figure(engine,cooling system,chaincase if any)in a very compact, lighter package.

low slung said:
A whole new radical chassis is what i figure(engine,cooling system,chaincase if any)in a very compact, lighter package.

Lightness does not equal strength. What is "light" on race day won't survive Joe WeekendWarrior pounding the p*** out of it every chance he gets. You really think they'd go that route on a production sled? REALLY?

I hope they go the route for lightness. Just because something is heavy doesn't automatically mean it is stronger. Look at the Polaris Pro-Ride chassis. It is currently the lightest chassis out and you don't read posts about guys bending their subframes (bulkheads) on a Polaris. Consider a Yamaha Nytro subframe is made out of steel and a Polaris is cast aluminum. Design it with the right amount of material where you need it, shave away material where it is not needed and it can be both light and strong. A naked Ski-doo XP chassis looks downright fragile but they work and hold up and Doo has been running big 3 cylinder 4-strokes in them for years.

I'd guess Yamaha will be heading this direction on their new model. I'm sure they'll still offer the Deltabox chassis since it works really well for long distance, groomed trail riding.

I found it interesting that Chris Reid didn't give the recent sledrumor post too much credibility. It would be really cool if they have more up their sleeve than what that article said.

buddah said:
low slung said:
A whole new radical chassis is what i figure(engine,cooling system,chaincase if any)in a very compact, lighter package.

Lightness does not equal strength. What is "light" on race day won't survive Joe WeekendWarrior pounding the p*** out of it every chance he gets. You really think they'd go that route on a production sled? REALLY?

what i read in low slung's post was lighter package
does that mean 10 lbs or does that mean 50 lbs?
I myself wouldn't get too excited about a fantasy sled we have not even seen being "potentially" lighter and "potentially" stronger OR not as strong.
Dependent on the sled and the materials and the design,there is the potential to lose weight without sacrificing strength.
Lets take the apex just for an example & for the sake of arguement. a new chassis could potentially alow for an apex with a front dump exhaust. probably eliminating 5 lbs minimum
a new front dump exhaust would alow for a fuel tank mounted lower onto the tunnel. with a tank on the tunnel you could use a smaller thinner seat which could eliminate about 8 lbs
elilinate all the crap plastic out behind the seat for another 1lb
and you just dropped 14 lbs. and i can promise you there was absolutely positively no changes to the strength of the machine with the small changes i just listed. I would be willing to bet a redesign on the spindle and a-arms on the apex could drop 2-3 lbs per side without sacrificing strength. the list goes on and on
throw in some high tech materials some structural bonding, who knows anything is possible.
just saying!!

i was watching snowmobile tv last night and saw you can now buy a turbo threw yamaha for the nytro. im thinking the 2014 yamaha will have a nytro engine with a turbo on it.

The turbo option has been there now for a couple of seasons. I can't see them coming out with a factory Turbo.

Back