• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad rap for cat

Mitch Desorcy

MAX PRO
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
I have been a Yamaha true blue customer since 1984, from my SRV, VMAX 600, , VMAX 700, SR 700, SR VIPER 2003, ARCTIC CAT F7, 2006 APEX, 2000 SRX 850 big bore. And most current 2014 Viper with turbo.
I always had to rebuild half the chassis on all the Yamaha's. All idler wheel bearings were shot. Sliders were done. Steering slop was on all of them, when I first purchased the f7 the year after I purchased the 2002 viper I kept them bough, and the F7 was a much better sled for maintenance and a much better sled over all. I couldn't kill that sled. Sliders bearings motor was never an issue. There were a few recalls but don't all new models? With the 2014 Viper it was a different sled of course. Not as lite but I find the maintenance is no different then any other sled out there. Yamahas have never ridden as good as they do until they made the agreement with Cat. Thank god for that. 14 was an animal for shock set up as were all Yamaha sleds from 1984 and up until you set them up with proper valving. So why are we so hard on cat?? I have a 2014 etec 600 for a spar sled for my wife and kids. Have had to replace bearings and there non<rebuildable shocks. Cost me more to ride that sled 500 miles per year then my turbo viper or any other sled I have owed. These Yamahas slash cats are not bad sleds. Just my opinion..

Totally agree. Chassis was a gigantic upgrade. Besides the poor tri-hub and lack of drain plug on the chain case the sled has been great. Not in love with the ECU flash but it doesn’t prevent me from starting the sled.

I just took my skid frame out the other day for a bit of maintenance, I can actually lift the entire skid with ease. Those old pro action skids were very heavy! I’m replacing my slides because they’re worn at the front bend of the skid, (we were riding in some low snow conditions) but the rest of the slide is still like new with around 5000km on sled. Bearings are being replaced as well. Best sleds I’ve ever owned!

I was a dedicated Arctic Cat rider for 30 years. Never had any major issues with chassis’s or engines aside from normal wear and replacement items. In 2003 the 4 stroke Yamaha RX-1 was introduced. Thought I would try one, so I spring ordered the RX-1 limited. Loved it. Next up was the 06 APEX, then an 11 VECTOR LTX GT. It always took me 1-2 seasons to dial in the DELTA BOX chassis. In 2014 came the 14 VIPER LTX DX, Then came an 18 VIPER LTX DX, this year a 19 SIDEWINDER LTX DX. The only change I made to the 18 and 19 was I had dealer exchange skies from the tuner 2 and tuner 3s to the cat skies that Yamaha used on the 14 Viper. I put 6” SLIM JIMS on the 14 part way through the season. Perfect. So as I ordered 18 and 19 with CAT skies and 6” SLIM JIMS sleds were perfect, no other adjustment needed. The CAT chassis is far superior to the old Yamaha delta box. Slider wear is very good, had 5500 miles on the 14, still have the 18, 2200 miles , 19 Winder with 3000. 99% of miles are in Quebec. I think the merger was a win win for both YAMAHA and CAT!!!

Hank

Only 3000 on the Viper so far so I can't pass too much judgement but its needed FAR less maintenance, chassis wise, than my Phazer did by this point. Basically the entire steering system and all the front suspension bushing were shot by 3000 on the Phazer. Now if I could put the Phazer chaincase and Brake system on the Viper, perfection.

My Dad is at 7,000 miles on his Sidewinder. So far, it has needed less maintenance than his Apex and Vector. It handles better than those sleds too.

Honestly, reading through TY has to discourage people from buying these sleds, especially the Sidewinder section. They aren't bad sleds.

The best thing about this agreement with Cat is you can find parts anywhere. And yes the chain case from what I read is an issue. I have never myself, but open it up yearly. My son has a 7000 cat. We had an ecu issue that created a stall situation. Got that changed all good. He has not spent a dime on this sled. I will go though it this summer. He has 5000 miles on it. I ride it sometimes the only thing I don't like is there is no turbo.

As a new Cat guy from my 1997 Vmax 700 I thank Yamaha for the 1049 engine in my ZR 7000 El Tigre......what a beast of a torque monster
Not taking anything away for my 700.....love the two stroke triple for its sound and pull but man that 1049 pulls your arms off.....

Owned my first procross from 15-18. Impressions after 8k.
Exceptional front end, slide action theory and function work extremely well, very durable, as you rode that chassis harder, the better it preformed. Never broke any major chassis components. Only lost 2 upper idler bearings- 6k, trihub at 8k and lower torsion spring retainers on rails -6k. Still had ORIGINAL slides.
It’s not the latest TECH but who cares... for being “ OLD TECHNOLOGY “ it flat out ROCKS!!!!
Grade.... A++ well done Cat.

Back