• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacement primary rollers bushings?

My buddy could eat them up in one day on his Winder primary. For whatever reason, he and I both switched to a Apex & RX-1 primary clutch this season and both of our rollers are lasting and the the performance is better too. Why the rollers last longer, I can only assume because there is less pressure on them being closer to the shaft centerline. One other thing I noticed is my Winder primary seems to bind on the shaft or the towers, maybe both, but the winder primary is sticky and not smooth like the old Yamaha clutch.

My buddy could eat them up in one day on his Winder primary. For whatever reason, he and I both switched to a Apex & RX-1 primary clutch this season and both of our rollers are lasting and the the performance is better too. Why the rollers last longer, I can only assume because there is less pressure on them being closer to the shaft centerline. One other thing I noticed is my Winder primary seems to bind on the shaft or the towers, maybe both, but the winder primary is sticky and not smooth like the old Yamaha clutch.
how is the viper primary different then the apex

Apex also has the set screws to hold the roller pins stationary, but that’s the only difference in the two spider assembly’s.

Apex also has the set screws to hold the roller pins stationary, but that’s the only difference in the two spider assembly’s.
No, they are much different as the Winder clutch spider doesn't thread to the stationary sheave.

No, they are much different as the Winder clutch spider doesn't thread to the stationary sheave.
I was talking about Apex spider vs Viper spider, not Winder.

I was talking about Apex spider vs Viper spider, not Winder.

interesting, I didn’t realize the Viper clutch didn’t have set screws on the roller shaft.

The rx-1 and apex clutch has set screws.

interesting, I didn’t realize the Viper clutch didn’t have set screws on the roller shaft.

The rx-1 and apex clutch has set screws.
Pretty sure the ‘11 + Apex sleds were without the spider set screws as well Mike. Eliminating them never really made much sense to me. Anything you can do to stop the steal pins from turning and wearing the aluminum castings is a good thing my eyes. I’d rather replace bushings than clutch parts.

my 11 apex had the set screws for the pins in the clutch when i replaced it because of cracks in the clutch faces.

I remember seeing a Vmax4 of Iantomassi racing with the hood open. They used the set screws only to hold the weight pins and roller pins. No bolts.

Back