• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

reverse banging and grinding

MikeAttakNYC

Expert
usually when i pop my dads apex into reverse it backs up about a foot then makes lots of grinding and mashing noised like someone ran a chainsaw through the gear case.... is there a fix to this as i am tired of absolutely sh**ing my self every time its catches me off guard.

Take it apart now and clean out all the metal or later on you will have bearing failure and most of the time it comes at the wortst time.I use Brake clean/air hose on the whole case then blow it dry then feed a little chain case oil right into the bearings and spin them a few times.

Goodluck....

Make sure you get the fork shift over reverse gear it can be a little tricky.
After I install mine I run it on the stand forward and then backward to make sure it works ok before i put the fluid in,it saves from having to re- drain the fluid if it did not catch that gear the first time.Don't forget to fill it back up once it's good.

Also check your dipstick mine had some grind marks on it.I guess it bends puting in there because there such little room.

Mine was doing the same thing. I can't remember who posted this but after I used these instructions to adjust mine the problem went away.

As long as this condition hasn't been going on for too long there is probably no damage done. If you take off the right side panel you will see the shifter linkage. Make sure the shifter is in the forward position. Set the top rod length to 27 mm between the lock nuts. You will see the lower part of the linkage runs vertically. Loosen the two lock nuts. Reach in and turn the linkage aliottle bit each way until you feel some free-play. The tension you feel as you turn it is the shifter fork in the case coming up against the sides of the channel it runs in. Turn the linkage back slightly until you feel resistance and there is no longer any free-play, then go back approx 1/4 turn so you have a small amount of free-play again. When you have it set right you should be able to feel a small amount of free-play at the bottom of this link with the shifter in the forward position. If there is no free-play in this linkage the reverse gear does not fully engage and skipps out under load. If the problem persists after this adjustment you have probably rounded the corners of the gear dogs. The other gain to having this adjusted correctly is far less wear to the shift buttons from riding against the sides of the channel. Having that free-play means there is no pressure in this area when riding in forward gear. Hope this helps.

TBay Sledhead said:
Mine was doing the same thing. I can't remember who posted this but after I used these instructions to adjust mine the problem went away.

As long as this condition hasn't been going on for too long there is probably no damage done. If you take off the right side panel you will see the shifter linkage. Make sure the shifter is in the forward position. Set the top rod length to 27 mm between the lock nuts. You will see the lower part of the linkage runs vertically. Loosen the two lock nuts. Reach in and turn the linkage aliottle bit each way until you feel some free-play. The tension you feel as you turn it is the shifter fork in the case coming up against the sides of the channel it runs in. Turn the linkage back slightly until you feel resistance and there is no longer any free-play, then go back approx 1/4 turn so you have a small amount of free-play again. When you have it set right you should be able to feel a small amount of free-play at the bottom of this link with the shifter in the forward position. If there is no free-play in this linkage the reverse gear does not fully engage and skipps out under load. If the problem persists after this adjustment you have probably rounded the corners of the gear dogs. The other gain to having this adjusted correctly is far less wear to the shift buttons from riding against the sides of the channel. Having that free-play means there is no pressure in this area when riding in forward gear. Hope this helps.

Good to hear that cured it.

Back