• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse issue...........

crazeejames

Veteran
New to the yamaha world..........have an Apex which I enjoy, just got a phazer for the wife/kid.........the reverse on it is a pain in the *ss.......sometimes works great, next time nothing.
When it does nothing.........it really does nothing, no lights flash, no change on the display at all...........jumping up and down, rocking, etc.......doesn't change it at all. Should I be looking at an electrical issue, or is this an adjustment issue? I've read lots about reverse issue, but no one has clarified whether or not the lights blink and it doesn't engage, or if they have a "nothing" situation like I seem to have at times?
thanks for any tips

The "normal" Phazer reverse will flip the reverse led on and the beeper will beep, but you may have to rock it a bit to get it into gear. If you are getting no indication at all, no led, no beep, it is a different issue.

Note the beep you are getting as well.

Those that have had these sleds start beeping when you press the reverse button, but not go into reverse will hear a shorter beep. It almost stutters when pressed.

When it actually hits reverse, the beep will slow down. This is how I can tell if it actually shifted or not without hitting the throttle. I see this the most when the idle is just too high anymore.

Good luck,

I should have been more clear about it "stuttering" It is a double beep if you hit reverse, but the sled is idling too high to shift. To get it off the double beep, you need to power cycle the key and it will clear itself and go back to green.

When you get the steady single beep, then you know it is in reverse.

what rpms are you at when trying reverse?

i think there may be an update for a shim or stiffer spring in the reverse housing.
thats about all i know for the update.

its electrical fore sure cause it happened to me, i just shut it down and restarted it a few times and it came back.

The upgrade kit includes an extra shim for the secondary clutch and a different (slightly longer or narrower???) belt. Too much torque on the shift parts prevents it from moving.

My phazer GT's reverse LED blinks until it drops into reverse then it stays on. I only shift after the RPMs drop.

Maybe your switch is busted?

Not to ruin your day but, I just got a (bought for the wife Phazer) that she truly hated the handling. Do yourself a favor and search and read on how to make the phazer more stable, handle and turn better.

Ultrafrozen said:
The upgrade kit includes an extra shim for the secondary clutch and a different (slightly longer or narrower???) belt. Too much torque on the shift parts prevents it from moving.

My phazer GT's reverse LED blinks until it drops into reverse then it stays on. I only shift after the RPMs drop.

Maybe your switch is busted?

Do you have the Yamaha part number for this upgrade kit? Is the drive belt really different (dimensionally) or just a different compound?

If anyone has done this upgrade, please post your results----Good---Bad.

"Shifting difficulties to and from reverse" S09-041 Technical Service Bulletin number (or whatever Yamaha calls them)

I only have page 1 and the parts are not listed.

Two years of "fighting" a reverse gremlin here. If you press the button and the R light doesn't turn on or start beeping, shut the machine off. Start it up again, then press the button again. May have to rock the machine, then mine slips into reverse. Sometimes have to shut the machine off to get it back into Drive. Two dealerships have both said "we can't get it to act up." Good luck!

mitchw said:
Two years of "fighting" a reverse gremlin here. If you press the button and the R light doesn't turn on or start beeping, shut the machine off. Start it up again, then press the button again. May have to rock the machine, then mine slips into reverse. Sometimes have to shut the machine off to get it back into Drive. Two dealerships have both said "we can't get it to act up." Good luck!

Did you read the .pdf?

There are a couple of ways to fix the "gremlins".

This happens to me occasionally, I have a new belt so I am going to try that fix to see if it works.

Back