• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Problem help wanted.

MountainMax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Apex
Hey guys, My 2009 Apex MTX goes into reverse fine but when I try to go forward again it stays stuck in reverse, the lever moves but inside the Chain case won't switch until i shut down the engine, then I hear a click as it engages. I start it up and it goes foreward again. This happens every time and a buddy of mine had the exact same problem and his dealership said that a bolt breaks off in the chain case, he had his repaired twice now but I can't get any more info from the dealer as to what bolt this is. Before I take mine apart to look do you guys know which one it is so I can be prepared to fix it when i disassemble it? Thanks :)

If there is any kind of pressure on those gears it won't shift. Lift the back of the sled off the ground and see if the track want's to move.

Have heard that in some cases chain tension could be a little too tight, needs a little slack to allow gears to move and engage.
Also, adjuster rods in the shift linkage have to be set up properly.

It's not a big problem at least it wasn't when I had this issue. You just need to adjust your linkages as previous people suggested. There is a fine line between too tight and too loose. Yours is adjusted a little tight which causes it to stick in reverse.. Too loose and it will jump out of reverse sometimes. You need to shorten your linkages a little... Not much if I had to make s guess try little less then an 1/8th of an inch then test.. I had my reverse pop out when using it and adjusted it tighter and had your problem! Just backed it off until it worked correctly..

I have had to adjust the linkage before but not for this reason, also checked my chain tension and it's good, same stock belt also. I was more worried about what my buddy said about a broken bolt, I will bring her in and double check everything. Thanks

when it is a little out of adjustment and wont return to forward gear move sled in reverse with gear select set to forward and lokck up the track with the brake while the sled is rolling and when you let go of the brake it will pop back into forward. of course get it adjusted properly as soon as possible but may save you from liftint the rear of the seld and the trail to get it to reset. we had one that was overly picky about that adjustment and this trick worked when it would act up.

Back