• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rider Forward?

§tylus said:
Question: since the Vector ER is changing over to the monoshock suspension how is it in the bumps and cornering. I love being able to tune the current rear Vector suspension for the perfect balance between ski pressure and cornering ability. Once set correctly the sled just pivots around any corner. Do you lose some of that with the monoshock? How does it compare?

They are very close, but I'd say if you're into set it and forget it the Vector has some advantages. Also having the ability to dial in the weight distribution on the skis with spring pre-loads is very usefull.

The mono-shock is a very good suspension though. I like having the ability to stiffen it up if I get on an aggressive trail and I'm "in the mood to work the sled hard" as well as being able to soften it right up for cruising over stutter bumps.

In some conditions the Vector is a little nicer IMO. We were riding on a trail with lots of stutter bumps that went up and over all sorts of rises (that were begging for air time). The Vector in our group had a soft enough suspension to be decent on the stutters, but enough bottoming resistance to handle the rises. On my RX I tried a few settings, but nothing was ideal. Softer got rid of the stutters, but bottomed out a lot on the rises and stiffer beat me up, but handled the rises.

The other thing I find with the mono-shock is it's hard to adjust ski pressure and control ski lift. Again the ideal compromize is compromized. Set it up for weight transfer and hookup is awesome (far better than the Vector), but it's more tippy and no steering under throttle. Tighten the limiter a couple of holes and set the weight transfer at minimum and handling is very good, you can steer under throttle, but hookup is down. I've tried to find the right compromize, but it seems to "rock" back, lifting the skis too easily with anything except with weight transfer almost non-existant (the sled is still fast, just won't win at the drag races - this is how I have mine setup).

They are both good suspensions (far better than older suspensions). I think the biggest advantage to the mono-shock is it is lighter (and probably cheaper for Yamaha to manufacture).

Thats for sure. I like listening to the people bitch about not having the turbo from the factory when they only ride like grandma's anyhow. Must be a penis extension for most or a status thing. For those who take corners faster than 10MPH this new setup looks much better. Maybe if Yamaha came out with a trail groomer design sled with a full front windshield, am-fm radio and heat these people would be happy. 20MPH and a full windshield. Don't forget they do make aftermarket windsields! As far as rider forward it seems alot of people are comparing the rev to this new design they have never sat on. To me it doesn't look like you need knee pads to ride much like the rev.

LOL. Some of the people on this site want a fricken goldwing on ski's

LOL. Some of the people on this site want a fricken goldwing on ski's
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Attachments

• 05FJR1300_5b.jpg
    05FJR1300_5b.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 93
Thanks I cant wait for the Turbo maybe next year cant do it this year while buy ing a new sled hehehehe. Shoud be about 250 HP at the tire.they make kits for 525 but thats alot more internal work than I want to do.

race24x, 525 am i reading that right? if so, I love speed but you may as well right my obituary! Holy crap, is there a point when to much is to much cause I am pretty sure they are pushing the envelope.

Sweet lookin' ride though!

I think the ride position will be a good compromise. The problem with the rev for me was sore knees and shins from knocking against the cowling. I also wish the handle bars were adjustable and the windshield is a concern. Maybe Yami is way ahead of us on the aerodynamics and the shield is ok... need to ride one.

Yamahnator said:
You people are old. Rider forward is good!

obviouslly stated by someone who has not riden on one for a 300mi day in -20C

LooseCannon said:
race24x said:
Hmmm penis extension LMAO I ahvent figured out what this has to do with snowmobiling but I laughed my A$$ off anyway

Has to due with saying "I got a turbo"! Turbos are a must for people who can ride not who can order them as an option on their new sled just to say they have one.

Ya, what he said ;)!

Re: Rider forward is the way to go!

Rollingwiththepflow said:
Come on. Doo is dominating sled sales and it's not from their fit and finish nor from their reliability. It's from the seating position. Yamaha had to respond. I can sit on my Renegade and ride stutter bumps faster then I could standing on my friends Rage. If you have a bad back, as I do, there is no comparison. It has to do with the rider being at the center and the sled moving around you. You don't get the impact of the seat in your spine. I've done a 300 mile day on my Renegade with no pain. I was always stiff and sore on my RX-1. I liked my Yamaha better in every category except rider position. Now I can look at going back.

For the die hards, at least Yamaha offers a choice. The Vectors and Rage are still conventional. I wish there was a 120 HP rider forward fuel injected 136" track. Maybe next year.

Seating position does not sell sleds.

Marketing does
;)!

Personally I think once people get to ride them they will be looking for 04 and 05 seats and saying"What happened to the great handeling cruzzer of yesteryear, this thing is tippy in the corners" Forget the 12 and 13mm swaybars, everyone will be looking for 20 and 30mm swaybars.LOL

I think once people ride them they'll be wondering why their buddies on the 04 and 05's can't keep up!! When you start riding the RX/RS platform hard where do you end up riding?? With your balls into the tank (which is not uncomfortable)...to get your weight up to the center of the sled. I don't see how the new sled's seating it all that different other then the fact you can get your weight more forward if you want it.

I am one of those 300milers in -20...for real. I've got the lowest windshield there is...I've also got a bar riser...and ohlins..and a converted 136...All things that are now stock. I really think everyone is making WAY to much out of the rider forwardness..it is not a rev..it is not designed to ride standing, though I'm sure this will make it easier to do so. I don't see any, NOT one, wannabe sno-x sled. I see the wannabe ditch banger that everyone has been wanting...look at the other brands if you want to truely see wannabe sno-Xers. Too much negativity direct towards some truely amazing sleds.

It looks more like guys are pissed b/c the RX/RS chassis are now truely looking dated...

Back