• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rider Forward?

I think that the apex will be a much better riding sled (way better seat, backward engine positioning..). If they would have put a adjustable handlebar(kind of the polaris one) instead of the fixed riser, every one could have been happy. But having sat on the Apex, I don't like the ergo of being forced to reach these handlebars à la snocross.

Also, the Warrior with monoshock should have an excellent ride. It would have been my choice but with the issue of excessive hyfax wear...

So, if they'd propose different handlebar position and no more hyfax problem, I would be very interested in the Warrior.

QC I am 6 '4 too I know where you are coming from. But snowmobiles are not our only issues. Have you ever gone to a hotel with a shower head you didnt have to duck to use LOL. I can live with replacing my windshield I guess just as much as I replaced the god awful looking one on my MXZ. It came with the touring windshiled and man was it ugly. I just hope the riding position is comfortable I will have to wait and see. I am surprised they didnt leep atleast the RX1 shorty and add fuel injection to keep the guys that dont like the rider forward thing. I really think they could have gotten 3 more years out of the 05 chassis with FI and the shock upgrades calling it the trail performance sled. But then again opinions are like a holes everyones got em some of em stink.

Rider forward is the way to go!

Come on. Doo is dominating sled sales and it's not from their fit and finish nor from their reliability. It's from the seating position. Yamaha had to respond. I can sit on my Renegade and ride stutter bumps faster then I could standing on my friends Rage. If you have a bad back, as I do, there is no comparison. It has to do with the rider being at the center and the sled moving around you. You don't get the impact of the seat in your spine. I've done a 300 mile day on my Renegade with no pain. I was always stiff and sore on my RX-1. I liked my Yamaha better in every category except rider position. Now I can look at going back.

For the die hards, at least Yamaha offers a choice. The Vectors and Rage are still conventional. I wish there was a 120 HP rider forward fuel injected 136" track. Maybe next year.

i think this rider forward thing is a little misunderstood. the revs moved you 12in forward, the yamahas only moved 6. the 05 mach z is back 2 in. from the revs, and the gtx touring models are back 5in from the revs, making them very comparable to the new yamahas. this is not as extreme as the revs, and i feel will give a much better ride. as for the bellybutton protector windsheild, the aftermarket will step in to suit your needs(mine to) as freezing while riding aint fun. compare what many spent on 'updates' on the 03-04 models, and tell me that windsheild aint a bargin.

I think the seats on the yamahas will be great. they at least give you a good flat top so you can move to be comfy. My WS is as low as they get, and we ride in 0 degree weather, never bothered me. Maxdlx

One thing I've found with the 05 is after 12+ hour rides each day, after 3 days my butt is sore. The 05 seat might be better than the 03 and 04, but it still needs more cushion.

I never found the seat uncomfortable on my previous sled.

I like my 05 RX-1's windshield and find it about right. As long as something like that can be bolted on the Apex I'll be happy (it would be be nice to choose windshields as an option during the spring orders though).

They make a taller windshield on the Attak and Apex ER...those are the sleds you should by QC....the other sleds are geared around other types of riders....You want a snow cross sled , then you will have to change the shield if you dont like it.....

IT sure seems like someone 6'5", me, is better off staying with an 05 style RX-1. Whenever I have set my bottom on a Ski Doo rider-forward sled, my knees are planted right in the hood, not so good. For those that like riding with a mini-windshield and sitting motorcross style, have at it. I like to cruise all day sitting, leaning, and standing for the very short stretches that it may be required. Now, EFI and the zipped up Genesis, that sounds great!!!

cobalt650 said:
IT sure seems like someone 6'5", me, is better off staying with an 05 style RX-1. Whenever I have set my bottom on a Ski Doo rider-forward sled, my knees are planted right in the hood, not so good. For those that like riding with a mini-windshield and sitting motorcross style, have at it. I like to cruise all day sitting, leaning, and standing for the very short stretches that it may be required. Now, EFI and the zipped up Genesis, that sounds great!!!

I would have thought for a tall guy, taller handlebars would let you keep your arms in a better postion, forward handlebars would let you keep your arms more comfortably outstretched a little, and a taller seat would let you straighten your knees a little more wile riding.

The new Yamaha's don't look like they have the Rev - force you up against the tank setup to me.

Almost RX-1 said:
I would have thought for a tall guy, taller handlebars would let you keep your arms in a better postion, forward handlebars would let you keep your arms more comfortably outstretched a little, and a taller seat would let you straighten your knees a little more wile riding.

The new Yamaha's don't look like they have the Rev - force you up against the tank setup to me.

I think you could be right about that. I still don't like the way the seat looks though. The Rev looks better there. It's not like I am going to go buy a Doo though. I'll stick with my '05 for a few more seasons. However, Almost you are right about one other thing. After 250 miles on mine last week my butt was DEFINITELY sore. That is the HARDEST foam I have ever ridden on.

Wow guys I rode my buddies 05 and he had to catch me and pull me of it so I would ride my 03 again. I thought the combination better suspension and seat where incredible compared to mine. I didnt put enough miles on my buddies Mach to tell if I would like it or not. One thing it sure takes some geting used to. I thought it turned really easy and was responsive 80+ MPH he could smoke me pretty bad to about top speed then I thought I was staying or catching him on glare ice.

I haven't sat on the sled yet, but iit doesn't look nearly as far forward as the Doo.
Even the RX didn't have much wind protection for taller guys. I put the XL shield on my Warrior this year after suffering last witner.

I've done 1200 miles in QC this winter, and would have really liked a rider forward postition for quite a few of those miles.

I don't get the whole aching knees thing, people have got to be out of shape. I'm 50, overweight and not very fit, and can easily do 600 mile days on my sportbike, and 1000 mile days on my sport tourer (both Kawasakis). Both of these are more aggressive than the Doo Rev seating position.

Every time I bottom the suspension on big dips or bumps in the trail, I curse the (motorcycle) cruiser riding position traditionally used in snowmobiles.

As for wind protection, it's a lot cheaper to get a wind shield and hand protection from the aftermarket (or to fab one) than to change the riding position. Admittedly, I 'd rather Yamaha came with these from the showroom, but they are probably going after the Arctic Rat and Doo crowd.

I like about everything they've done with the new 4-bangers except for the reduced wind protection, and that can be fixed.

I like being able to change my riding position, as well S T R E T C H out, not just stretch my arms to reach the handlebars.

My verdict is out until I can ride one.

yep

rollin is dead on too, Doo is number one in sales for a reason at least in wisconsin, because of the rider forward, I have always loved the rider forward but wanted a fourstroke, now I can have both. For all you guys that don't like it I will trade you my 05 seat for your 06's. They should fit.

I love the old guys comment. Funny. Yes my REV is very comfortable for my back but that’s it. The REV handling on high speed trails and fast corners sucks compared to a properly set up Vector. Just because I want wind protection doesn’t mean I’m old. I spent all last weekend up in Quebec running 230+ mile days on both bumpy and high speed trails. We rode a few weeks ago in -30 to -20F and I had so many layers of clothes around my neck I could hardly turn my head on the REV. The REV is cold as hell when the temps drop.

I’m happy they left the Vector alone. I’m happy with the 06 line up as I’ll be spring ordering a Vector ER. 10K is a bit much bit much to spend on a sled anyway. Not sure why I would need 150HP on trails as I don’t lake race. I ride fast and hard and the Vector is a perfect match. I can’t remember the last time I stood up on my REV in Quebec. I like having my legs underneath me don’t get me wrong but sky high handlebars and no wind protection isn’t for me.

Question: since the Vector ER is changing over to the monoshock suspension how is it in the bumps and cornering. I love being able to tune the current rear Vector suspension for the perfect balance between ski pressure and cornering ability. Once set correctly the sled just pivots around any corner. Do you lose some of that with the monoshock? How does it compare?

Back