• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ripsaw - stir the pot

Both my Ripsaw2's were 2 ply.

Confuseing isn't it... but like I said I called them and gave the serial number off the track twice. He got on the computer and looked up the schematic and said it was one ply.. I'll do it again in the fall just to make sure. I did buy one ply studs already.. for it..guess it won't hurt it.

Confuseing isn't it... but like I said I called them and gave the serial number off the track twice. He got on the computer and looked up the schematic and said it was one ply.. I'll do it again in the fall just to make sure. I did buy one ply studs already.. for it..guess it won't hurt it.
You can see whether its one or two ply just by looking at the side of track windows. Two layers of the fibre its a 2 ply. They made both. This is mine. 2 Ply.
0B30CE65-93E9-476C-A951-B5072412B9B6.jpeg

How can you tell if a track is 1or 2 ply?

I am hesitant to stud my Viper 1.3 Cobra because some sa it’s a single ply track, looks and feels like my orther tracks,.. how can I tell?

Oops thanks Cannondale.... should have re looked significant time between type and posting

I replaced all 3 of our original Ripsaw's with Ripsaw's, love the track works awesome. I tried a Cobra once, changed it out after 800 miles when the lugs started to rip.

When I ripped mine (ripsaw nice pun) it cut into the lug and cut the fiber bar in half that goes from side to side to reinforce the lugs and carried on down the track on the outside strip for about a foot. All I had left was a half ply for the idler wheels to run on, I cut the end of the strip that was flapping around off and rode about 110 miles home. So pretty sure single ply but one thing I can say for sure is the 1 inch Predator I put on was was heavier and stiffer then ripsaw. The Ripsaw however single ply or not was in perfect shape other then the damage suffered by a very sharp rock, it was though a very light track in comparison!

I thought the traction on the trail was fine but some argued that the split lugs of the ripsaw just did not hook up like stiffer non split tracks! I could see that but I think the ripsaw slid a bit less in a corner with the split lugs. The 1 inch lug with the 192 1.280 studs hooked up as well and did not slid in the corners but hard to compare a studded track to a non studded!

I can see why people stud their tracks and that point has been drove home a few times around here we have 99.99 hard pack snow trails with no ice. One winter it rained and then snowed so the trails where shiny ice covered with a inch of fresh snow! I motored down the trail like normal while everyone else lost control trying to keep up. When I stopped and waited for them thinking whats the problem they said it was icy! What ice I replied.

Two winters ago I climbed a huge bank up off a river by Hearst Ontario and was fourth in line with one guy behind me. Big hump at bottom of climb so no carried sped for the climb. Half way up I notice that the guy ahead of me is spinning hard and slowing down to a crawl but makes the hill, Now you can see the ice that was covered by a bit of fresh snow! I'm starting to spin so I back off trying to keep traction and about one sled length away from snow I came to a stop, then backwards I go. I look in mirrors and here comes Gary up the trail, lucky he sees me and pulls of to the side and a go by as fast backwards as he is going upwards! Second try I run the edge of the trail that is not spun to the ice! We had a strange start to the winter with a ton of rain that iced everything up but the snows covered it and froze to it all except where it got spun off on that hill!

Yep I can see why people have studs. Course I can see why they don't too! Buddy hit a rock and drove the track up hard enough it clipped the heat ex-changer, Trip comes up short for him! Buddy has a stud pull through and stud clips a heat ex-changer. Trip cut short again! Two years in a row kinda sucks. For that reason I keep looking at an ice ripper as a replacement for my Ripsaw! Guys with the Doos are ordering their sleds with the ice ripper, I think that would be the way to go!

Last edited:
Ice ripper on Apex was OK
Glad to not worry about heat exchanger but not near the traction of studs.
I ride icy trails a lot so I live with the studded risk as I want more traction than the ice ripper gives price is about equal.

My Viper is still not studded but I think that will change this fall if I find the time

Yea only reason I studded mine was for River running. I have a awesome river only 10 minutes by sled from my house and even though our trails havent been open much the ditches and river have always offered some riding. Sometimes that river wont have much snow and one spin at speed is enough to make the studs worth it. That said all it took was one balls out run on trail with a buddy on a Cat Turbo for both of us to just trash well over half the studs in track. Including bending the double backers. We were both WFO for about 20mi to trucks and we both must of found something under the snow. It was all high fives and fun till we noticed all the damage to the studs. Fun is never cheap!

I put a rip saw one on my O2 viper when I extended it to 136 huge difference over the stock track even in deep snow . When I bought my 05 rxwarrior it had just over 10,000 Kms on it in the track started to separate(used to be maim's) and I now have a ripsaw two on it. The ripsaw one was way better on trail in the corners as it has good side bite in packed snow. The ripsaw 2 slides a bit more in corners but is okay there. It does way better off trail in a greater variety of snow types than the ripsaw 1.

I had a rib saw 1.25 on my std dx 146. replaced it at 12000km was still in great shape. Then in stalled a 1.6 ice cobra . found the cobra is much better for off trail riding and in loose snow. I do think the top speed is down a little bit but gas millage have not changed. Also installed new mountain skis (same ones that on the btx) . Found machine much better in deep snow. But still great on trails.

I agree with Don, at the time the Ripsaw was a big improvement over the Yokahama models we saw in the past on many of the Yamaha 2 stroke machines. Time moved forward and these Ripsaw's saw a transition into the Yamaha 4 strokes. What many found once they transitioned into the RX-1's and Apex models is more track spin again being the 4 strokes have such a linear and broader torque band. Now we are into the 4 stroke turbo era and those torque numbers have only increased.

My 136 Apex had a stock track Ripsaw track on it and I swapped it to a Ripsaw II and I saw a very good upgrade in my overall traction. If I were to move into a Sidewinder I feel I would need even more traction than a Ripsaw II. I feel the Ripsaw still works for other machines with less power and torque but it wasn't fulfilling my needs on this machine.

I put a rip saw one on my O2 viper when I extended it to 136 huge difference over the stock track even in deep snow . When I bought my 05 rxwarrior it had just over 10,000 Kms on it in the track started to separate(used to be maim's) and I now have a ripsaw two on it. The ripsaw one was way better on trail in the corners as it has good side bite in packed snow. The ripsaw 2 slides a bit more in corners but is okay there. It does way better off trail in a greater variety of snow types than the ripsaw 1.

dude it had the ice ripper when you bought it as sappling killer tore lugs off of the stock ripsaw when riding it on the ty ride as you and i where on your viper and dad's new viper venture because the sx500r was getting 6mpg that trip before we parked it. ice ripper was used too with about 2000 miles on it from chadg.

other than gf trying to turn my ripsaw into an tar race track on some road crossings, the ripsaw on my apex xtx has around 12000 miles on current track atm. i had to replace the origonal one with a cut in it at 1500 miles but put on the same as i am still happy with it and the price of it. no studs in it ever and it has proved itself to be a good track for my riding area even with breaking trail in 3-5' of powder for 90 miles quite a few times almost every season. heck i run a ripsaw on everything that needs a track as my et410 now has one on it to replace the stocker and it picked up top end with a deeper lug track, go figure!

i would put another one on when the time comes if they are the same price as the talon 1.5" at the time but $150.00 cheaper and still good traction and wear on the ones i know locally are hard to resist.

Last edited:

Back