• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ripsaw windows. Clipped or Closed??

apexg88

Pro
I Just bought a new Ripsaw track for my girlfriends sled and realized that all the windows were oppened and clipped.. I looked at my stock ripsaw on an 06 apex and every other window was closed... does this mean anything as far as performance??? why the difference on the same track??

Here's what you really need to consider when comparing tracks clipped every 3rd to fully clipped tracks. It all comes down to heat dissipation which is generally dictated by snow conditions. Every 3rd clipped tracks will have less hyfax (slides) wear when run in ideal (good) snow conditions when compared to fully clipped tracks. When in ideal snow conditions the track clips tend to stay cool and in those circumstances the less metal clips moving past the hyfax the better the hyfax wear gets. Now when the snow conditions get marginal (low snow, bare lakes, plowed roads, hardpacked) the clips on an every third will get hotter quicker and when they get hot the hyfax wear greatly increases. This is when a fully clipped track will be better on hyfax wear as by having more clips it has a better means of dissipating the heat so the clips stay cooler longer - now if you ride a bare road or lake long enough a fully clipped will eventually get hot and rapidly wear the hyfax also - it just takes longer - when you start to smell hyfax it is to late. Depending upon your location and snow conditions it is not uncommon to run into great conditions and marginal conditions numerous times on the same day. If you run an every third clipped track I recommend just keeping it in mind that when you are in marginal conditions to do your best at keeping the clips cool by dipping off into some fresh snow at times. If you operate your sled often in marginal conditions I would lean towards having a fully clipped track but if you ride the majority of time in good conditions an every third clipped will do the job. Other things can also play a factor in track choice such as running extrovert drivers requiring the use of a fully clipped track. Also tracks such as what comes on the FX Nytro XTX and the Camoplast Hacksaw (9009) for example have every window open but are clipped every third. This configuration is just a middle of the road option as by having every window open it will cool better in marginal conditions than an every third with closed windows but not as well as a fully clipped.

Very well said explanation.

Also on my new(Two seasons ago) 2.86 fully clipped 1.5 ripsaw the clips have holes in them which instantly packs with ice .The ice extends higher than the metal and the hyfax rides on the ice which has greatly extended the life I get out of track clips.

How about just drilling out the closed windows(say...1/2"-1")and not using clips? SLP pads work but add weight and can cut the hyfax when they wear down(?)...Dan

Eh Pex said:
How about just drilling out the closed windows(say...1/2"-1")and not using clips? SLP pads work but add weight and can cut the hyfax when they wear down(?)...Dan
Lot's have drilled them out ,or cut them out.

radianguy said:
All windows open and clipped is going to mean better slide life, less friction on slides.

Three of us purchased new 136/15/1.25 fully clipped Ice Ripper XT's this year, and all three of us have worn the slides to the rails in a short period.
I chose fully clipped based on the logic provided, but wow???! Be very carefull, and check them often. My last track had every 3rd closed and I could feel when the slides were wearing, as they got "sticky". This track I cannot tell, it does not get "sticky" for some reason. I purchased a set of ice scratchers to remedy this problem and so far so good.

Cheers :Rockon:

Back