• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Lower Chain Case Bearing Check

hondo

VIP Member
Based on the mileage I had on my sled (RS Venture) my dealers mechanic suggested that the chain case lower bearing be checked around 10,000 miles.

He mentioned that he has seen some bearings on the 05 RS series sleds that were worn pretty badly, and has also seen some sleds brought in with the chain case mangeled, due to a lower bearing failure.

I brought my sled in today for a precautionary inspection.

I wanted to see for myself, so I stayed to observe the disassembly and findings:

My mechanic was absolutely right. We found two of lower chain case ball bearing cups; half were broken off, and two other ball bearing cups were cracked.

Mechanic said it would just be a matter of time before the bearing failed. What a great catch!

This saved me a bunch of $$$.$$ and the possibility of being stranded in the woods.

Current miles 9,950. Mechanic said that he has noticed this on RS series sleds, not just the RS Venture.

Those that approach 10,000 miles may consider checking their lower chain case bearing, if not sooner.

It's nice to have a "Mr. Goodwrench" like mechanic. :D

Hope this helps! ;)!

Hondo,

You know me and pics. I'm not sure what the bearing "cup" is. What part/s did you have to replace?

Attachments

• VentureChainCase2.JPG
    VentureChainCase2.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 379
  • VentureChainCase2a.jpg
    VentureChainCase2a.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 501
chaincase or jackshaft bearings having to be replaced at 9K miles would not be considered unusual on ANY brand. FWIW - in the few sleds I have owned that went over 4K miles I always had the bearings checked. Had a few replaced cuz they didnt look or sound the best....cheap insurance.

:Rockon: (compliments of my 3 yr old!)

It would be nice if Yami had given is greasable bearings though.

I have seen chaincase bearing failure pretty early on milage on 2005 RsVenture, don't ear about failure on other Rs models at this time.

The first one i seen had 4000 miles, bearing seeze so hard that the sled track was almost impossible to rev,

A bud of mine get the problem on is first ride this season, he was able to ride at the dealer place but it cost him the new belt he has just installed. He had around 8000 miles at this time.

I had ask my dealer to replaced them on the pre-season check this fall (i had 5000 miles) he told me that it was wasted money to do that but i insisted and tell that i had pay for it. When i get back to take my sled, he confessed that they were completly shot and passed them on warranty.

I still don't understand how a bearing that run in oil can fail so early but it's like that :ORC

It make me wonder something, does yamaha manufacture a chaincase oil dipstick with a magnet on the tip to catch metal dirt ???? Maybe on earlier models in the 90's ??? I had that in other sled brand and it help a lot to keep the oil cleaner and you can clean it at each oil check. I had ask at my dealer without succes. I don't feel safe to try to glue one since i'm not sure it will hold well in oil and can cause severe damage if it fall between gears. Someone have input on that ???

Bye
Alain

Hi Jeff,

Check part number 3 and 5 on your diagram.

If the bearing roller ball pops out of the bearing, the bearing will start to deteriorate and fail.

The chain at this point becomes loose and if it dislodges from its rotation path, can cause major damage to other components within the chain case.
Continuous operation of a sled with a bearing in a failed state could ultimately cause a catastrophic failure of the entire chain case.

The chain within the case could possibly get wrapped around the drive shaft, at this point the drive shaft to the track could sieze, and you would not be able to roll the sled very well. :die

Ultimate result for the rider: Getting the sled to the dealer wherever the sled is stranded, and the owner of the sled will get to pay big bucks to replace an entire chain case assembly. (worst case scenario) :o|

This is a much more expensive route than replacing a worn $40.00 bearing.

My mechanic was spot on correct in making this assumption, and verifying a trend with these lower bearing components.

As someone else mentioned this is cheap insurance! :D

Hope this helps! ;)!

actually if they weren't sealed - the metal shavings from the gears and chain would penetrate and likely end the bearings life sooner.

The lower bearing roller ball side faces outward away from the oil bath.

This precludes any metal filings or trash to getting into the bearing because all the trash sinks to the bottom end.

The upper bearing faces inward and does get lubrication from the oil bath.

Just had the bearing for the track drive shaft fail (clutch side). I have ~7500 miles on.

I am having all jackshaft and drive shaft bearings replaced while I am at it.

Looking like it will be time for a new track soon. Have started to pull my first studs.

If the chaincase bearing is failing it usually causes the seal to malfuction and you start to lose and you think use chaincase oil. Did you find you were using oil in the chaincase prior to finding a failed bearing. You have a great dealership mechanic who knows his stuff!

Attachments

• ClutchTool.JPG
    ClutchTool.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 239
I just got back from North Bay and had track problems. I must have hit some bad ice and shaved lugs off all the way around the track. I came home early and got started on removing the track I found the track axel bearing gone on the clutch side It also broke the speed sensor but no other real damage. I have 5300 miles seems kinda early. I also started blowing belts on this trip. Two in 800 Miles. Any ideas other than bad luck? I would like to check the allignment but not sure how. The last belt was 102.00 Canadian,ouch.

Back